Full Size British Railways Unfitted and Vacuum-Braked Wagons / Trevor Mann

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
A bit of a mouthful as a title, but it does what it says in the hard cover. Importantly, there is a subtitle "In Colour".

image.jpeg

Published by Ian Allan in 2013, this volume begins with a historical survey of BR wagons, covering the numbering series, lots, diagrams, liveries, codes and so on. Each subsequent chapter covers the main species of vehicle, following the structure used by similar volumes covering BR goods stock.

The colour images date mainly from the 1980s and were all taken by the author. Reproduction tends to the slightly dark, not helped by many images being taken in sunlight which tends to cast deep shadows. Nonetheless, this is an interesting book, and a useful reference for colour and weathering. If wagons are your thing, I recommend this book to you.

There is a companion volume covering air-braked stock, from the same publisher.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
I've got this - decent colour shots of pre-65 wagons are hard to find in my experience. (Oh Cheona, where art thou...? ) It's a good book. Informative and well laid out. And with boards protecting it (once a bookseller, always a bookseller... :) ). My only gripe is that some of the photos are on the small side, but I agree with Heather's recommendation.

The Penguin Of Doom

Western Thunderer
Thanks Heather.

I know nothing about wagons but need to learn a little for some I have stashed away for a rainy day. I'll look out for this one as a potential purchase.

Cheers.

Sean.