Brick walls from Styrofoam

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Whilst looking for something unrelated on YouTube, I came across this interesting video on making a brick wall for a diorama, from Styrofoam (apologies for the advertisements!)….

Edit: Link not embedding for some reason, but unable to fix it - sorry!

Regards

Dan

Last edited:

daifly

Western Thunderer
I’m very confused. There’s nothing in Dave’s post, #2, on my iPad.

is it something I’ve done?
It’s an Apple problem. Since the latest IOS update, YouTube links are invisible on all Apple devices - even on my MacBook.
To help Dan, I posted ‘blind’. It’s about time Apple got this sorted as it’s been identified for over a month now.
Dave

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
It’s an Apple problem. Since the latest IOS update, YouTube links are invisible on all Apple devices - even on my MacBook.
To help Dan, I posted ‘blind’. It’s about time Apple got this sorted as it’s been identified for over a month now.
Dave

As IT is involved, I'll think you'll find that it's not a 'problem' but a 'feature'.

daifly

Western Thunderer
Dave
Having made further enquiries/investigations, the problem manifests itself when viewing Western Thunder on any browser that I've tried (Safari, Firefox and Opera). It also seems to be confined to Western Thunder. I can view and post YouTube links & videos to e.g. RMWeb without problem but all YouTube links throughout WT have disappeared when viewed on any Apple device.
From @simond's and @Dan Randall's comments above, I'm not alone.
Dave

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Sorry, Dave - I didn't go back through the thread to check on hardware. My laptop is a Dell with W10 so doesn't fall in to the questionable category.

Brian

daifly

Western Thunderer
Just tried my wife’s ancient (iOS 12.5-limited) iPad Mini and it all works ok. Perhaps the forum software has been ‘upgraded’.
Dave

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
My iOS devices running the latest 15 are not seeing youtube links and embeds. However my ancient MacBook Air with a trackpad that hardly works and ASETN have worn out keys and running 10.13.6 sees the links and runs the vids. Not good enough, Apple.

daifly

Western Thunderer
Now here's a thing Apple users, YouTube videos and links work fine on other XenForo forums (the forum software that WT uses) but they all appear to be running much more recent versions of the Xenforo software. I wrote to @adrian earlier. Hopefully he'll be along to add his knowledge at some time.

Meanwhile, my apologies to non-Apple users for boring them to death and to @Dan Randall for the thread drift.

Dave

Deano747

Western Thunderer
Maybe I'm a bit behind, but my Mac Book Air, early 2015, Mojave 10.14.6 and all works ok. I'm not a techno geek so I don't have any answers!

Regards, Rob.

simond

Western Thunderer
I think it might be iOS 15

my tame IT geek (actually our IT manager at work) sent a circular from our contract IT support agency advising the update to 15 as a matter of urgency due to risks of a zero-day vulnerability - text below:

I doubt that James Bonds of any nationality will care a tinker’s cuss for me and my penchant for model railway and motorbike discussion groups, but better safe than sorry, eh?

obviously my iDevices are upgraded.

Apple Devices Security Vulnerability

Apple has released security updates for a zero-day vulnerability that affects every iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple Watch on Monday after the privacy and cybersecurity activist group - Citizen Lab, discovered the vulnerability and urged users to immediately update their devices.

The spyware, called Pegasus, used a novel method to invisibly infect Apple devices without victims’ knowledge. Known as a “zero click remote exploit,” it is considered the Holy Grail of surveillance because it allows governments, mercenaries and criminals to secretly break into someone’s device without tipping the victim off.

Using the zero-click infection method, Pegasus can turn on a user’s camera and microphone, record messages, texts, emails, calls — even those sent via encrypted messaging and phone apps like Signal — and send them back to NSO’s clients at governments around the world.

After identifying the vulnerability used by this exploit, Apple rapidly developed and deployed a fix in iOS 14.8 for the vulnerability, known offcially as CVE-2021-30860.

If you would like to find out more about the security content of iOS 14.8 and iPadOS 14.8, click here.

To avoid being an easy target for the attackers, update your Apple product now.

On an iPad or iPhone: Settings > General > Software Update. If you are using iOS 14, you want 14.8.

On a MacBook or desktop Mac: Apple menu > System Preferences > Software Update. If you are using macOS Big Sur 11, you want 11.6.