Breaking Ground - Finescale - of a sort

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
More of a visual post than text based from us!
Thursday myself and the kids dropped in on the branch and saw the recent developments in the flesh. Admittedly Scarlett was more interested in some toys that next door's garden boasted but when applying her interest she showed signs of approving the recent developments.
line inspection.jpg
more checks.jpg

Whist she played it gave me a chance to get a few "pretty" shots of the line...
At the points.jpg
floral point view.jpg
Station approach.jpg
Tamping the branch lead off.jpg
The way my core muscles are at the moment though I don't think I would have been very helpful so we were not put to work by the gaffer!
Really looking forward to seeing just that tiny bit more laid and hopefully next visit something with wheels will be out to play.

Tom (& Scarlett)

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Sorry, normal services will resume shortly - or just as soon as the guv can hang up his walking stick and start sorting stones!

Always good to see you and the littl'ns anyway!

Pete

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
Don't worry Dad. It was still nice to get to see the bits done. Next time we'll just have to get some better planning in place. This visit was a rather last minute thing anyway.

Future planning may even lead to a volunteering day where the gang get together and help with the groundwork and drink tea maybe ;)

Tom.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Back to the longest thread hijack in the history of WT, although Rich has assured me that he doesn't mind! The little railway was always meant to be something of a family business anyway!

Progress has been determined and steady, but very slow due to my ongoing and tiresome health issues. I will admit that much of the driving force that keeps me going is a fear that if I don't do it now, it will almost certainly never get done?!

Now with the gloomy stuff said, it's time for an update?

I know that some of the following images might appear to be more of the same old stuff, and I apologise if it gets boring, but I do get excited by each new short section completed! It may only be a metre or two, but it feels like a mile for me!! (Further apologies for mixing metric and imperial measurements there!)

In a post elsewhere I mentioned something that seems to have been almost forgotten nowadays; in that it was the "accepted wisdom" that all employees, whatever their status, were expected to supply their own tools and much other equipment in order to execute their duties. A classic example being the quarrymen working in the slate industry of North Wales, who even had to dip into their own pockets and purchase the vital explosives required to extract the rock in the first place! (Come to think of it though; perhaps that wasn't such a bad idea after all? A workforce paying dearly might be a bit more reluctant to misappropriate some for any amusing japes - especially like "bombing" the Guvnor's office?!)

Despite my dislike of tradition, I'm afraid that here at home, the old rules still apply for our own railway navvies...

hhSAM_7386.JPG

Ganger, Mr. O's., hope that the Company would supply essential tools turned out in time honoured fashion to be wishful thinking, so at least one personal procurement was regarded as absolutely necessary....

hhSAM_7387.JPG

...to make shorter work of the headings!!

Now if only we had something to pulverise hardcore...?!

hhSAM_7392.JPGhhSAM_7395.JPG

It will be quite a while before the loop returns through the "woods" to rejoin the main line - so the wildlife can continue undisturbed for a bit longer?

hhSAM_7398.JPG

Like this little chap that zoomed around and kept me company the other afternoon!

And finally at last...

hhSAM_7411.JPG

Another three lengths of rail laid!

When Rich came over, his first comment was: "Ooh, it really is starting to look as if the railway is actually going somewhere now!"

Pete.

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
Seems to have progressed quite a bit since Wednesday Pete

John

Last edited:

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thanks John, and yes, I'm quite happy with it!

Thanks too Col, whatever the thing is called, or even actually designed for, (?) Mr. O., is nonetheless quite happy with it!!

Pete.

glenn-gp

It certainly seems to have been a busy day down Lamorna branch line, arriving this morning to pick up mum to go do our weekly shop I was excited to see the workmen transporting the lovely little engine from the work shed and could not resist a little peek so I unloaded little P and headed down for a brief peek just long enough for 1 length for little P before off to the shops, (she was a bit tired so didn't quiet know what to make of it). We later returned after the shop and picking little T up from school and to our delight wren was still out so it would have been rude not to visit for the second time today. Little T was certainly happy too, and enjoyed serval times up and down the line, he was so pleased he could control it himself (even with a minor derailment sorry dad ) and this time little P was more than happy to chase him up and down the line. it really is coming along so nicely now we shall look forward to mor rides to come.20220613_204037.jpg20220613_203924.jpg20220613_203645.jpgVideoCapture_20220613-204122.jpg20220613_203817.jpg

Last edited:

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thank you for posting those lovely pics Glenn! What a grand time young Mr. T., (and the rest of us) had this afternoon - and a perfect end for an eventful day!

I had no idea what was to come first thing, and indeed it all started rather badly. For some reason I woke up feeling almost completely overwhelmed, and just couldn't find the motivation to do anything. Rich came round quite early for a brief visit, and although he didn't have much time to spare, I insisted that we run the engine out for a trial on the new section. I was very happy for him to drive while I closely observed the performance of the points - under proper load test conditions for the first time!

Excitement can be infectious, and proved to be just the tonic required!

As a bonus, Mr. O. also had a full day off, so between us we were able to get cracking with the roadbed for the next three sections of rail.

I was so glad that we had left the engine up at the station end of the line all day, as it was immediately available for service when Glenn, little Mr.T., and Miss P., turned up later!

My photo's (fuzzy snapshots really?) are not nearly as good, but I will include them anyway!

hhSAM_7418.JPGhhSAM_7422b.JPGhhSAM_7424.JPG

The young man's mastery of the controls were only marred once - when he overran the end of the line at the "station" while running tender first!
No harm done - just a slightly bumpy finish! It didn't put him off, and (with a little assistance) he was quickly back on the road!!

He decided at one point that the fire needed attention...

hhSAM_7427.JPG

When I explained to him the basic principals of firing "the real thing" I rather foolishly added that "at least on our one he wouldn't get his fingers burned!"

"But it is a real train Grandad!" he indignantly replied!

He is quite right of course!!

I had better don my civil engineer's hat and jolly well get on with the serious business of railway construction then...

hhSAM_7417.JPGhhSAM_7429.JPGhhSAM_7430.JPG

Or the nagging might start becoming intolerable?!

Pete.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
The young man's mastery of the controls were only marred once - when he overran the end of the line at the "station" while running tender first!
No harm done - just a slightly bumpy finish! It didn't put him off, and (with a little assistance) he was quickly back on the road!!

He decided at one point that the fire needed attention...

View attachment 165086

Pete.
Great to see the kid's enjoying "their" loco Pete :D, ..but couldn't help noticing that the posts are in place for the "modernisation" programme in this shot....Catenary ? :eek::))

Col.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
For those who don't know the tool in question is a Mattock, a cross between an adze and an axe, :D

Col.
Thanks John, and yes, I'm quite happy with it!

Thanks too Col, whatever the thing is called, or even actually designed for, (?) Mr. O., is nonetheless quite happy with it!!

Pete.
Not wishing to be picky :rolleyes:, but one of these just dug out of storage might be even more useful - I suppose you could call it a pickadze....:thumbs:
Being picky.jpg

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
When I started work as an apprentice with my Father's building co. they had a lot of their own plant and old hand tools many items pre-war which always interested me, indeed a few of my first carpentry tools were passed to me via my Father from his Father and Uncles, thus I learnt a little about the early days of construction tools etc. many of which would have been also used by navvies when building our railways.
The pick mattock's Tony has shown above were designed for stony/rocky ground conditions whilst the axe mattock Pete has is for cutting through roots etc. Essential tools if your digging out footings for foundations as I can testify from my previous residence where I had to dig one metre deep footings by hand, for a 12 x 18 ft extension, because of lack a access for a machine.
When you think about it these and hammers are probably the earliest hand tools used by human's going back to the stone and bronze ages, quite appropriate for 'breaking ground' as the thread title says.

Col.

Last edited:

adrian

Flying Squad
I know that some of the following images might appear to be more of the same old stuff, and I apologise if it gets boring, but I do get excited by each new short section completed! It may only be a metre or two, but it feels like a mile for me!! (Further apologies for mixing metric and imperial measurements there!)
Fantastic to see the line develop and the fun enjoyed, in a small way it reminds me of the time I was following the late Dr Ben Fishers updates on the Welsh Highland Railway rebuilding.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
At a Site Equipment Demo event (at Whipsnade Zoo?) in the early 80s there was a novelty miniaturised hydraulic excavator, made to show how small it was practical to go. I can't find a reference to or photo of it.

Best described as looking for all the world like one of those pull-along cylinder vacuum cleaners, with a 12" square footplate and raised controls at one end and at the other a 180 degree slewing hydraulic boom and dipper the size of a human arm, the bucket being hand-sized.
It was surprisingly powerful - its digging capability limited only by the stabilising weight of the standing operator.
The makers had (I suspect deliberately) plumbed it up so the levers worked opposite to standard excavator convention, such that the big machine operators eager to demonstrate their prowess were all over the shop! :))
Never could find a photo of it.

Just imagine the fun Peter could have had with it during this line's construction!