Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I do get the notion of green and cream, as opposed to chocolate and cream (and indeed Bleakhouse Road is all green and cream), but for me, with what few memories I have of the S&D Northern Extension in operation and then in the immediate aftermath of closure, the faded chocolate and cream colour scheme is an integral part of the overall picture...

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all,

For me, part of the appeal was the thought that the S&D brought Midland/LM&SR motive power through Somerset/Dorset with some L&SWR/Southern ( and later, BR standards) with the permanent way and buildings being the responsibility of the L&SWR/Southern, hence the colours. Add in various Midland/LMS locos hauling L&SWR/Southern stock, Midland/ LNWR and LMS coaches and it's arguably unique character signs through..........all right in the heart of GWR territory. No wonder they were miffed.

How it all came about is a fascinating insight into the business end of the pre-grouping scene.

Rob

-7007-

Lovely image, Tim.

Good to see a S&D engine gracing Bleat's metals, despite the fact it's from the dreaded 'Western but as it's a Pannier there's no offence taken !

Now, what about that delightful little Sentinel that you brought with you when you collected the layout ?

Rob.
Happy to oblige Rob.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg

47191 appears courtesy of Taunton Model railway Group.

Tim