LarryG

Western Thunderer
Now I am back in 0 gauge, I have been back-tracking through this thread to look at the various things you have built. The Skytrex yard crane looks neat as does the elevated GWR water tank.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
While I think of it, all the photos of the Moor Street Box face the staton, not one faces the main lines. The photos show no name board on the station side, while the main line side is not visible in the railway room, so I am thinking of not bothering. Is not having a name board a common feature? I don't think so.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The Skytrex yard crane is a nice, easy kit, mostly white metal. I added the base which is really necessary. Recommended. I sprayed mine with rattle can anthracite bumper spray with white safety markings.

The GWR water tank was extensively researched over several months with very few decent photos. I eventually worked out the rough dimensions and designed a scratch built brass structure and tank (the roof is plasticard). It was not an easy build with a lot of use of a gas flame to get the solder to fuse. But very satisfying. Unfortunately I could not find an appropriate kit that looked like any of the North Warwickshire Line tanks (Stratford, Earlswood, Henly-in-Arden) so based Moor Street on those as they were all built in the late 1900s. Knowing your impatience, Larry, I would suggest looking at what is available in the laser cut ranges, so my tank is not a recommended route to follow!

Other items I sourced from Skytrex include the water cranes, various cast produce baskets and so on, a trolley, passnger bench etc.

Any other questions, do ask!

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
OK, the signal box kits have been restarted, focussing on the roof. This should be easy but I am making it difficult. I have now decided not to have any interior fittings. The box is a long way from any one viewing the layout and while I might add some low level interior lighting, as befits a signal box at night, it still wouldn't show much interior detail. I also made some errors in gluing the roof joists so getting it all stuck down now will make for a stronger structure. In many ways I think the exterior details will be more important, without the guttering etc. the model would look quite basic.

This decision may also reflect my desire to get things going again despite not being in the Railway Room as much as I would like. I think I did more modelling when I was still working, with long spells building Legge Lane and Penmaenpool while on R&R from West Africa.

An additional comment on the water tank (see above from LarryG). Moor Street had a much larger capacity tank than a branch line terminus would need, in fact many GWR branches managed easily with a so-called parachute tank.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Various soffit boards and brackets added today. Placed in its location it is starting to resemble the prototype. However it is wider and squatter than the actual box was.
B74AD1D9-A67C-4908-871C-CF9163A7CCC6.jpeg

B54D59C3-0615-4A36-8ADC-FD1E6E2B37F8.jpeg

We have family arriving this weekend (I think it is half term in both England and France, also Toussaint in France). A grandson and a great great nephew will arrive over the weekend. The latter lives near Montpellier so knows all about the trains as they sometimes visit on the TER (regional train) and will expect a full demonstration (he's only three). I am not so sure about the grandson, he is a young teenager and is only happy with a cricket/foot ball in his hand. I don't suppose I will be doing much modelling as I will become official cook and bottle washer (actually my choice!)

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
This afternoon I was running trains for my teenage grandson. He was far more interested than I thought he would be. Later this week he will be joined by my 3 year old great great nephew who knows the railway room well. Pops, as I am known, has a railway which he loves to "touch with his eyes" as his mother says. I am sure he would like to touch with his hands but he does get the message so all is well.

It has occurred to me that the signal box is my first attempt at a laser cut building kit. Perhaps overly brave to customise the first kit of its type, as there are things I would do differently next time. The only problem is no kits on the market come close to the actual buildings I need to model. Perhaps I should buy a number of different kits, empty the boxes and throw all the parts up in the air!

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
The Railway Room and Moor Street is locked up at least until January, so this thread goes into hibernation. To be honest I did not do anywhere near as much as I had hoped. A true malaise set in which may be a result of simply getting older. We did have some good running sessions, and I tackled the signal box modified kits with some success. The coaches simply didn't get addressed for the past 4 weeks and I can't explain why. The Lee Marsh Castle project is coming to fruition, though, and Sir Daniel Gooch may be ready for the New Year celebrations pulling the 7 brass Mark 1 coaches that are waiting. That will be nice!

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I am posting here as it’s Gauge O related. I won’t be going to Guildford on Saturday. Sadly I now realize I have Covid, despite having a negative test. I have ticked most of the boxes for symptoms. The illness was made worse by the negative test, because I went for the booster and when asked if I had Covid mentioned the negative test. That’s OK then I was told but it wasn’t. I only mention this because it might be useful for others to know. Asking around I am not the first in our family to have had a false test, so this is more common than I thought.

Getting over it slowly.

So, all who are going, have fun!

Paul

MoatLane

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul -- interesting to hear this. I had covid for the first time back in September, left me feeling very tired and lacking oomph. Went to Paris last week, crowds everywhere and not many masks in evidence. Now I have a horrible cold with symptoms just like the covid but have twice tested negative.

simond

Western Thunderer
I had tested negative a week before my heart attack back in April, using a PCR (free box of 7) test, as my wife had tested positive.

When I got to the hospital they told me I had Covid which was almost certainly responsible for the cardiac issue.

Be careful!

Get well soon
Simon

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Slowly coming out of Covid-19 after four weeks so my mind is beginning to think about modelling again. It looks like gauge O would be easier on dexterity and eyesight so a switch from HO makes sense. At the beginning of Covid-19 I started a Finney7 Churchward 47xx kit, so this seems the most appropriate project. There is a separate thread for this which should be resurrected. Here is the link:

https://www.westernthunder.co.uk/threads/finney7-47xx-“lockdown”-build.8685/

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
I'm not so convinced of the O gauge eyesight argument, Paul. Yes, models are larger but, on the other hand, you need to replicate much more of the small detail to avoid models looking bare. In smaller scales, lack of detail isn't so obvious, T gauge being the extreme example, I suppose.
Dave.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
True, Dave, but the reason I mentioned eyesight is that my bifocals need replacing and I really shouldn’t visit Specsavers just yet. For this reason I have stopped watching TV from across the room, my iPad being the better device for “entertainment” using the lower focal lens.

I hope this makes sense? Paul