Bible For British Track

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Guy's
If anyones interested there is on Ebay( item no. 170747956344 ) a copy of British Railway Track, Design, Construction and Maintenace. 1964 edt.
I have a copy of this book and it is an absolute must if you're into building your own track and want all the prototype info. This edition cover bullhead and flat bottom, it is expensive but a rare book.

ATB, Col.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Hi Graham
I've got a copy of the aforementioned book from 1943 sat in front of me, alas there is no mention of anything outside of the big four at the time. The book concentrates on what is considered suitable practise of the time and does not refer to earlier track laying methods unfortunately.
It is an interesting read if one wishes to replicate prototype practise, a huge amount is deditcated to point and crossing practise for example, but whilst things like drainage, banks, repairs and maintenance are well covered, I've been unable to find any reference to sleeper or chair spacing on plain or curved running lines. Simon C has a later edition which covers some of this, but I don't think that copy goes back as far as you would like either - I'll let Col answer for the version he has.:)
Steve

Simon

Flying Squad
Hi Graham
I've got a copy of the aforementioned book from 1943 sat in front of me

Show off:p

I've only got a 1956 edition, cost me fifteen notes from Oxfam bookshop about 7 years ago.

Seriously though, it really is a fantastic source of information, in any edition:thumbs:

Simon

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Seems that the book is a good source for PW and S&C work based on REA ideas. Those of us who follow Victorian and Edwardian prototypes are left to the archives and good guesswork.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
If we're boasting about the age of our copies, mine dates from 1977 ;)

Seriously though, it is a very useful book for anyone interested in prototypical track. I wanted a 1993 edition, but they don't come up very often, but most of the flat bottom info I wanted was in the one I ended up with.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
If convenient with you... what does the book say about LNWR matters pre-1900? and Met Rly circa 1885?
Graham,
Sorry there is not any info specifically dealing with the Victorian era, it is much as Steve says, my copy is from '64 and covers bullhead and flat bottom rail.
The only info I have on earlier times are some articles in the old Modellers back track mag, have you seen those ? I can scan them if you have'nt.

ATB, Col.

S

Simon Dunkley

Seems that the book is a good source for PW and S&C work based on REA ideas. Those of us who follow Victorian and Edwardian prototypes are left to the archives and good guesswork.
I was told many years ago that the first edition may contain some pre-group information.

jc2001

Western Thunderer
I've come to this thread a bit late, however I would like to mention that there were several editions of this book in the Nevis Bookshop in Marlborough a few weeks back all under £20.00. I ended up buying the 1946 edition for £10 as it describes the big four (and LPTB) practice. All editions seemed light on photos.
John

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I'd be very interested in a copy from the 1940's, depending on cost, if anybody happens to find one:thumbs:
I already have the '64 edition but would appreciate an earlier copy.

ATB, Col.:)

micknich2003

Western Thunderer
I have a "First Edition", I don't recall any ref to "Pre Group/Non Standard" track.
If you want other information, join the Yahoo "Trackwork" group. It has some very knowledgble members. For example, I requested details of Hull & Barnsley Rly points and crossings etc. I thought "No Chance" but not so, it was here in minutes.
A further alternative, is to join the relevent "Line Group" such as North Eastern Railway Assoc etc, paracticly ever one of the old railway's have a study group. Best Wishes, Mick Nicholson.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Im about to start building track. I've built a jig to help lay straight track section, but im not sure on the sleeper spacings. So a question, is 24 sleepers per 60 feet the right number for track laid in East Anglia?

Anything else I need to know before I start to build the 60' sections?

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Im about to start building track. I've built a jig to help lay straight track section, but im not sure on the sleeper spacings. So a question, is 24 sleepers per 60 feet the right number for track laid in East Anglia?
Anything else I need to know before I start to build the 60' sections?

Phil,
This table may help,Sleeper spacing chart.jpg

also the book says that 25 sleepers per 60ft. :-
1/ On curves between 40 and 20 chains radius.
2/ Where water troughs are fixed.
3/ In tunnels over 1/4 mile.
4/ On soft formation.

26 sleepers per 60ft. on curves less than 20 chains radius.
The standard is 24 per 60ft. This is on fish plated track and I have no details as to modern continously welded rail.

ATB, Col.:D

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
A mix of Flat bottom and Bull head, but I think I may have to forget the flat bottom.

Mid 70's yard/sidings off East Coast mainline.
Phil,
I suppose obviously at that time would be flat bottom on the main line, with possibly bullhead in the sidings, unless the yards been relaid or re modelled, could do with some photographic references of that era.

Col.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
.........and how about this Phil...Corby, 1976....bloody hell I was twenty then :)):D Sidings Corby 1976.jpgnote the flat bottom on the main line is fishplated lengths of rail, with bullhead in the sidings.
Why do you say you might have to foget the flat bottom rail mate.:D atb, Col.