Bethesda Sidings

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
The view from the top of the embankment:
20200112_183902.jpg

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Having fitted the fascia properly a couple of weeks ago, I've now got round to fitting the lighting. This consists of a single strip of 12v LEDs, mounted along the length of a layout an a piece of batten glued to the inside of the top of the fascia at about 45 degrees.

The LEDs are variable temperature, meaning I can switch it from a cold white to a very warm white, or somewhere in between. I can also vary the brightness.

I rather like the colder white light in these test views, which seem to be somehow appropriate for an overcast day on the Welsh borders:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I think this is a smashing layout and the views of your layout are very inspiring while I chew over my next OO layout. I shall be glad to get back to using slim-sleeper SMP track again for sidings.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Having finalised the wiring for the layout lighting, the fascia was properly re-attached this afternoon and the control panel put on:

Excellent work CK. I see the layout support box is still doing sterling service.

I quite liked the grey fascia colour, IMO it helped me ignore the frame and concentrate on the layout. Other opinions may or may not differ.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
How do I justify the appearance of industrial and light railway locos in a B.R. goods yard?

Well, apart from 'Rule 1', the Vale of Radnor Light Railway (a member of the Association of Independent Light Railways) is given running powers from the junction at Capel Bethesda, into the goods yard, for the exchange of traffic between the light railway and the B.R. system.

Normally based in Somerset on the South Polden Light Railway (another member of the Association), this small Black Hawthorn 0-4-0ST was loaned to the VoRLR for a few weeks to cover an unexpected shortage of motive power and is seen here in the B.R. yard at Bethesda Sidings:

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Those Black Hawthorns are irresistible and that one looks lovely! I would say that the presence of that lovely little engine fully justifies the fiction and if anyone comments just tell them that it's your train set.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Ex-LNER J72 'Jennifer' is one of the regular Vale of Radnor Light Railway locos and is seen here at Bethesda Sidings. Originally a Mainline loco, the old split chassis stopped working many years ago and the loco languished in a box, waiting a purpose. More recently, a Perseverance chassis has been built for her, with my usual Mashima motor and High Level gearbox combination.