Beginners OO 1950's Banff

aardvark

Another WT resident has encouraged me to migrate my layout thread from RMWeb to here, although I am unconvinced that it will be of interest as it is not Western and has very little Thunder about it, but we'll see. I know little about railways, having not grown up in the UK, spent my childhood days watching trains go past, or worked in any rail industry. The objective was simply to have an interest and something to do in my semi-retirement. It's probable that the layout will never be finished, and indeed, will never make it to a show, and probably will be seen in real life by anyone who knows anything about model railways.

The layout portrays the terminus station at the town of Banff (Scotland, not the other one), where my wife's parents lived until they emigrated in 1958. Steam lingered there until it's final days in 1968. I'm happy to be modelling a real location, as it avoided extraneous procrastination in building a what-I-like layout while I figured out what it was that I actually liked.

After nearly 7 years of intermittent progress, procrastination and many Things That Must Be Done. I've got baseboards built and joined, track laid and powered, and points operating. I've completed construction of the engine shed, and am making a start on the station building. I've done no scenic-ing, so there's lots of bare plywood to be seen. Should anyone be interested in 20 pages of history, you will find it on RMWeb under the same thread name.

For those so interested, here's the "technologies" used
  • OO-scale
  • DCC
  • trackplan designed in AnyRail from an OS map from the National Library of Scotland website
  • 4 portable baseboards, each 1.2x0.6/0.8m (in storage between play sessions)
  • C&L code 75 thin-sleeper track plus Peco unifrog or electrofrog points, laid on TrackLay and 5mm closed-cell foam, ballasted with Green Scenes ballast
  • points operated through home-made decoders and 9G servos.
  • buildings constructed with Ace Screen Board and ScaleScenes papers from CAD drawings done in SketchUp; windows & doors cut from plasticard using a Silhouette cutter
Here's some pictures to give you some idea.

Trackplan:
Banff_ordnance_5k_peco.jpg

Baseboards, track and mock-ups of the (l to r) goods shed, station building and engine shed (looking the opposite way to the trackplan):
P1160793.JPG

The engine shed (still need to paint those doors, and a fair bit of fettling and detailing too):
P1170208.JPG

The station building takes shape:
P1170229.JPG

P1170230.JPG

markjj

Western Thunderer
An amazing piece of work especially when I see how far away from the real thing you are.
I have looked at your posts on RMWEB several times when I have been looking for info on places in and around Scotland.
I struggle to find info sometimes even living here.
I'm sure you will be welcome here with open arms.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Dean, welcome to the WT. Don't worry about the non western theme as there are a few here who have interests in north of the border.....definitely like the old Great North of Scotland Railway and Banff is a lovely station. Certainly ticks boxes for me!
I know you mentioned the RMWeb but have you some closer shots you could upload? What era are you modelling? Also as Jim said "gravity shunting"....perhaps a motorised bogie in one of the coaches? I think there is mention of these in Gerry Beale's thread on Maiden Newton, Dorset?
I can smell the sea air!
All the best
Julian

daifly

Western Thunderer
I don’t think gravity shunting would work. There’s nowhere to push the coaches or wagons to apart from the short goods yard headshunt. It would need two engines in steam to operate the terminus. A bit of a luxury for a branch line I would have thought - all for the want of a crossover somewhere!
Dave.

Bill Campbell

Western Thunderer
I don’t think gravity shunting would work. There’s nowhere to push the coaches or wagons to apart from the short goods yard headshunt. It would need two engines in steam to operate the terminus. A bit of a luxury for a branch line I would have thought - all for the want of a crossover somewhere!
Dave.
Just had a look at the 25" OS map and there seems to be a loop missing - from the model track plan that is - that would deal with the run-round.

It's difficult to tell from the photograph if it has actually been modelled.

One of the old 6" maps also shows the extension of the line next to the goods shed on to the harbour.

Regards.

Last edited:

Osgood

Western Thunderer
According to Railscot, the harbour siding originally served the gasworks but this was shortened back at a later date.
Edit: By the look of the NLS map resources the harbour siding had gone by 1900.

Last edited:

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Dave.
Hi Dave
I maybe wrong but I am sure Banff had no runaround as I know of a 2mm layout of the same station and it too has no runaround. Does anybody know more? Maybe John Duffy will know?
Interesting station though.
Julian

Ian N

It would be interersting to know how the Banff - Tillynaught Junction branch was operated given there was no loop.

On the question of loops the 25'' 1892-14 OS map shows a goods loop existed but not accessed from the passenger roads.

The 1:10,000/1:10,560 1948-71 OS map shows the goods yard loop had been removed and remained the case on the 1:1,250/1:2,500 1944-71 OS map.
From memory, the approach into the station was downhill. Runaround, for lack of a better description, was the same as the Killin branch - having de trained passengers, the train reversed up the hill until clear of the points. The coach brakes were applied, the loco uncoupled and pulled forward to a road that the coaches weren’t going to, the coach (hand?) brake was released and gravity propelled (sucked?) them into a platform road, at which stage the loco, assuming no shunting to be done, came out of its refuge and coupled to the front of the train ready for departure. Of course, I could be wrong….
Regardless of how runaround on the model is achieved, this has the makings of a stunning layout and I look forward to future progress updates.
cheers
Ian

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
Very nice, will you be making the gravity coach shunting powered or by gravity its self? I looked at doing Banff many years ago but decided if I was to do something ex gnos it would be Macduff across the water.

Look forward to more.

Si

daifly

Western Thunderer
From memory, the approach into the station was downhill. Runaround, for lack of a better description, was the same as the Killin branch - having de trained passengers, the train reversed up the hill until clear of the points. The coach brakes were applied, the loco uncoupled and pulled forward to a road that the coaches weren’t going to, the coach (hand?) brake was released and gravity propelled (sucked?) them into a platform road, at which stage the loco, assuming no shunting to be done, came out of its refuge and coupled to the front of the train ready for departure. Of course, I could be wrong….
Regardless of how runaround on the model is achieved, this has the makings of a stunning layout and I look forward to future progress updates.
cheers
Ian
Photos here would certainly bear out what you've said and I retract my earlier comment!
Dave

simond

Western Thunderer
Very nice, will you be making the gravity coach shunting powered or by gravity its self? I looked at doing Banff many years ago but decided if I was to do something ex gnos it would be Macduff across the water.

Look forward to more.

Si

Maybe a guided, driven magnetic device under the baseboard might “augment” gravity?

There was an N gauge shunting tractor that functioned thus on RMW I recall.

Ben Alder

Western Thunderer
cheers
Ian
Indeed, that is how it was done.