Bagshot station build

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thank you Heather, but I'm afraid it is not quite over yet. When I went for my follow up last Tuesday, the consultant said he wanted to do another op. He laughed at the face I pulled and then suggested;

"Or, we could put you on observation for the next six months..."

SIX MONTHS. Brilliant. That will mean my students have me for all of the next term, and I can get on with Bagshot before they start drilling more holes in me!

Pete.

phileakins

Western Thunderer
Good news Pete, hopefully this will be the six months which will see you in the clear.

I'll look forward (with bated breath) to further Bagshot updates. :)

Phil

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Although I have a few new jobs to catch up on now, I felt I just had to get one of the pair of awkward arched windows sorted first. Also, an issue had arisen with the Plastruct "I" channel used for the prototype booking office side window, and as this is the critical part of the design, I was keen to find a solution.

SAM_x1428.JPG

The inner and outer faces of the top sashes required careful cutting to match the frame profiles, and then had to be checked and marked to ensure that I assembled them in the right order!

And now for the problem with the Plastruct channel section:

The material appears to be some sort of extrusion, formed into what is supposed to be a symmetrical shape. Guess what? The 1mm glass fits perfectly on one side, but is offset on the other! When the glazing is contained by the top and bottom rails, it causes the vertical bar to visibly, and annoyingly twist.

Running a needle file along the channel to open it out would risk abrading and thinning the web too much at the same time. There seemed to be only one way around this;

A nice sharp scalpel blade, a steel rule, held breath and two very thin sliver cuts, vertical and horizontal made down the length of the strip!

SAM_x1431.JPG

Not perfect or pretty, but just enough to open the slot sufficiently!

Another thing that was bothering me was my previously mentioned problem of cutting the glass accurately. It had also occurred to me that the cut edges, when looked at closely, reveal a mass of microscopic "nibbles", and I am worried that any one of these little irregularities might later be the source of a crack. My good friend agreed, and recommended finishing the edge by rubbing on a coarse grit paper, commenting that I would be surprised by how quick and easy it is to shape up!

One pane came out a fraction oversize, while another didn't quite snap completely clean, leaving a short, curved end over the scribed line.

The trick with glass is not to be afraid of it. It was indeed remarkably easy to grind down to shape. The exercise doesn't require speed and very little pressure, just a steady drawing back and forth on the abrasive.

I think I'm falling in love with this stuff.

...Mmm..., Leaded lights...now that would be interesting...?

SAM_x1429.JPG
SAM_x1434.JPG

I know, the top diagonal cut is not so neat, but I fell into the old trap of not allowing for light refraction when lining up the straight edge.

No matter, so long as the pane is comfortably contained within the frames.

I will try and do better next time!

SAM_x1435.JPG

The glazing bar is not perfect either, but is now well within tolerable visual limits. Most importantly though, it remains snug enough to ensure that it cannot pop out.

Please refrain from jokes about frost...!

SAM_x1439.JPG SAM_x1440.JPG

I think I'll sleep a bit easier tonight?

Fresh start tomorrow for those other jobs...

Pete.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Well, it's been a while now since I posted, but due to a health issue my mind has been elsewhere. Some may find that rather amusing when considering the whereabouts of the problem. 'Nuff said about that, the better, but perhaps one last word?

I have become rather attached to a particular favourite hat, or rather I should say that I have some difficulty keeping it attached to me. It is ever so slightly over size. One of my sons has also taken to wearing similar headgear, and he too suffers from the lightest airs. He discovered a solution to our common situation, and suggested self adhesive draught excluder, stuck around the inside of the band.

My sister is a champion needle worker, and she had promised to stitch a strip of extra fabric to the aforementioned item as a cure, but has not had the time to do so. When I told her about our amateurish solution, she fell about laughing.

As I had previously informed her of my growing proficiency with glass cutting, I suggested that if I added double glazing to my spectacles as well, I would be perfectly prepared for the harshest winter weather to come!

More laughter, and then when she finally regained sufficient composure, she said;

"Don't forget the cavity insulation!"

"Owwwwwww... ...no, no, no... ...I'm still much too sore for any of that stuff!" I cried.

On a more sensible note: Bagshot has been progressed a bit, albeit rather unspectacularly. I am extremely relieved to have made all the windows for the station frontage now at least. Typically though, the last one fought back at every turn!

SAM_x1495.JPG

Admittedly, my own clumsiness was to blame for the first catastrophe:

Late in the evening, I was in the final stages of making this one of a pair of carefully made to measure frame/sash boxes for the Booking Hall. The worktop was a mass of plastic shavings after this process, so whilst holding the frame twixt the digits of one hand, swept the cutting mat clear with t'other.

Somehow I managed to catch the precious frame, and sent it flying. Upon retrieval, I found it was hopelessly bent out of square, with the top corners irreparably split. A completely new one would have to be built.

So to bed, a miserable old fool.

SAM_x1497.JPG

Fortunately, I had not fitted the "Inside front" layer when the damage was done, so the following morning I salvaged the bottom sill and side rails by slicing out the front layer corners, gluing them to the layer, then scarfing in new corners and a top for the front.

It might not have been much less trouble than complete replacement, but there is something very satisfying about a successful recovery!

Such pleasure was short lived however:

I cut two sets of upper and lower sash frames, four pieces in all, and assembled them. Then set-to the glazing with a gusto.

In fact, with a little too much gus: Snap, crack and tinkle! Shards going all over the place!

Eventually, after creating a small heap of jagged glittering glass, I had a set of perfect pieces. It was only after installing them that I found that the sashes were too big to fit in the frames!

Arghhhhhhh!

Went out for lunch, and didn't come back for quite a while!

SAM_x1507.JPG SAM_x1508.JPG SAM_x1517.JPG

I did come back in the end though, and started all over again.

Still had a bit of trimming and finishing to do when I took these pictures, and they will need a lick of paint too, but at long last I can present a nice full weatherproof frontage.

This evening, I was "ordered" to carry out my annual Christmas Tree Lights Duty. I couldn't resist this little diversion from the set task:

A four pic foretaste of fings to come...

...that is, when the guys from the Gas Board finally turn up!

SAM_x1525.JPG SAM_x1529.JPG SAM_x1538.JPG SAM_x1540.JPG

Pete.

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
Bravo!
Spectacular work....
I dare say that it'll not be long before your light duties will become a second coming before long but on a slightly smaller scale. ;)

I was VERY entertained by the chat between you and Sue.. Good job I wasn't there for that conversation I'd of deafened everyone with laughter.

2-Bil

Western Thunderer
Peter, I can't craft fresh superlatives for your multiple talents, except to say that along with the eye of an artist, you must have the retentive memory of an archivist.

Being a Londoner (Leytonstone) of six decades and a bit, when I saw your recreation of an RT's lower deck with the ambient softness of the lighting, it was completely right. I'd forgotten the daily habit of the folding and refolding of bus tickets, and jamming them behind the seat frame! Bus and Northern Line carriage so perfectly composed, I swear I could truly smell them!!

Anyway...regarding beautiful Bagshot, if you're chewing your nails wondering about the number of glazing bars above the men's urinal, fret no more. British Railways Past & Present, Surrey & West Sussex by Terry Gough, has two useful photographs circa 1967 to resolve your possible conundrum.

Also, though I don't know whether Bagshot's totems were light green or the earlier darker shade, I've quite a few enamel signs, Southern Railway and Southern Region, that might be of service to you for doorplates, etc.

Finally, as you've gone to the trouble of putting ash in an ashtray, where's the great block of disinfectant swimming about in the urinal trough? Remember? It looked like an anaemic Jubbly, and when it had melted down a bit, you could pee it down the drain...someone out there must have done that too...surely?

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi Peter.

There are insufficient superlatives. Thank you so much for sharing with us and being so generous with your techniques.

However - THE HAT. I too have a slightly over large titfa and was advised when I bought it that "Oh, you can go on to ebay and buy an "adjuster"." I duly did so (are you ahead of me yet?) and ordered it (surely you must be) and you know what arrive in the post?

Yep, a piece of draught excluder. Tell your sister that it is, apparently, the professional solution. Not only that but it works.

The only down side is that it makes me look like Terry Pratchett and people keep telling me I'm dead.......

Brian

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thank you to all for your kind replies and comments.

This project has been an enormous learning curve for me and there have been, and certainly will be later, many times when I wonder why on earth I took it on in the first place? On so many occasions I have sat and looked at it in despair, thinking; "How on earth am I going to do that bit...?"

Of course, it is always a great relief when a particularly troubling part comes good, and it is then of coarse fun to share. But there are still far too many times when I have not taken any pictures of the all too frequent and deeply embarrassing failures! I admit that I was so cross with myself when I broke that window frame that I didn't want to photograph it. It was too awful a reminder of my clumsiness.

In retrospect, the mangled wreckage of the aforementioned did look quite funny, so maybe doing a "blooper" post or two later, as a sort of; "This is definitely how NOT to do it" page might at least be rather entertaining?

There have been some awfully low times of late, although admittedly I am predisposed to that, I have really appreciated fellow WT'ers feedback on this thread. It has certainly kept me going!

Talking of going, I shall have to visit the loo again shortly... Bagshot that is, as well as the damned (curse the old problem!) real one!

Thanks 2-Bil for the reference tip. Photo's of Bagshot station have proved surprisingly hard to find, so there are still quite a few unanswered questions! Although I may have hinted in previous posts, I am chuckling at the moment while thinking of a few amusing things planned for the model, but you will have to wait and see!

Mentioning amusement, one final thing about "THAT" hat: I was very pleased with it when acquired. I felt it suited me perfectly.

At the time, my grandson was still a just a toddler. The first time he saw me put it on, he stood and stared for a moment, then he took a deep intake of breath and his little face started to contort. I naturally thought; "Oh dear, here comes the bawl..."

What came out was the mightiest guffaw that anyone could imagine such minute lungs were capable of. He laughed so hard that he fell over backwards with a bump, but still carried on, supine!

I didn't think it was THAT funny. "Out of the mouth of babes" eh?

Thanks Brian for your tale. It was my turn to fall about. Just when I had managed to clear the tears from my eyes enough to start this reply, the thought of your hat set me off again...

Pete.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Thank you to all for your kind replies and comments.

This project has been an enormous learning curve for me and there have been, and certainly will be later, many times when I wonder why on earth I took it on in the first place? On so many occasions I have sat and looked at it in despair, thinking; "How on earth am I going to do that bit...?"

Of course, it is always a great relief when a particularly troubling part comes good, and it is then of coarse fun to share. But there are still far too many times when I have not taken any pictures of the all too frequent and deeply embarrassing failures! I admit that I was so cross with myself when I broke that window frame that I didn't want to photograph it. It was too awful a reminder of my clumsiness.

In retrospect, the mangled wreckage of the aforementioned did look quite funny, so maybe doing a "blooper" post or two later, as a sort of; "This is definitely how NOT to do it" page might at least be rather entertaining?

Hi Peter,

You have certainly entertained and educated us on this thread and your 'blooper' post is just as, in fact could be more, useful as your amazing successes. To give the impression that skilled modellers never do anything which doesn't work or is perfect every time is less than helpful to us average model makers. Any good teacher will tell you it's not just achievement of the highest standard which is important but the whole learning process, mistakes and failures, which builds experiences and skills. The ability to shrug off a disaster or failure and try again and again is the key to ultimate success. The modeller who never makes a mistake never makes anything!

Ian.

2-Bil

Western Thunderer
Peter,
Forgot to mention the photo (1967) from the "Past and Present" book also shows a Soil Vent pipe and two 3inch Rainwater Downpipes that had been removed by the time the next snap was taken in 1992.Wont mention it again but if any Enamels could be of use let me know.Lastly could you tell me/us the source of your frosted glass (plastic?).It looks like it might(?) make a convincing representation of a Maunsell WC window.
Yours with respect
BW

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thanks again BW for your helpful tip. I may well take you up on your kind offer of assistance with the signage too. It is a bridge that will have to be crossed fairly soon, but I have still not decided what I need or even the best method of production! I have already found some clues, but once again the lack of reference photographs is a major problem. Unless any new information comes to light, a significant amount of guesswork will have to suffice. Holding fire, ever in hope, has been my excuse for not wanting to commit myself to many of these details so far. There is plenty more work to do in the meantime!

The frosted glazing was a vexed issue until I discovered this particular material in a local Hobbycraft shop. It is nothing more than a reasonably cheap A4 document folder. Only one purchase was necessary, as the front and rear covers have both provided more than enough for this model. I was amazed that the surface "grain" scaled down exactly for Bagshot, but is sufficiently fine to look extremely good when used in 7mm scale applications too.

The only problems with this stuff are: Although quite thick, it is rather flexible, requiring carefully considered support if used for larger areas. It is made in PET (I think that what it called?) so cannot be securely glued with any adhesive/solvent known to mankind (I believe!) and perhaps slightly worryingly (and something we can all be certain of) nobody knows what it's longevity will be!

The latter point is most awkward as I have not found an alternative material that gets remotely close to the desired effect. Concerned about that, I am trying to design-in the ability to make these windows reasonably straightforward to extract and dismantle. It would be a crying shame if any attempted repair or replacement in future caused further unavoidable damage to other parts of the model!

However, all that said, an error occurred when ordering a box of microscope slides. A pack arrived with etched ends (to enable the user to mark on). Unfortunately, the areas were not large enough for Bagshot windows, especially as the finish, albeit on one side only and marginally finer, is very similar to the frosted plastic.

If the carriage lavvy windows are small enough, and you are happy with the thought of using real glass, then that might be a problem solved?

Hope this helps?

Pete.

2-Bil

Western Thunderer
Peter,
thanks it does. Oh and fingers crossed the PET behaves.....(sorry i couldn't resist that).It just might do for a 7mm Mansell.
I agree with one of your earlier comments about "Preserved stations" not recapturing the elusive essence of what,i guess,most of us remember and thats NOT a criticism.
For a brief meander along that Memory Lane try Kent and view Appledore! The Waiting Room
image looks like a Prewar Scene of Crime photo sans corpse/s.The other images are pretty stark too .All thats missing are a few fingers of marsh mist!The place is steeped in.........essence
Best Wishes to You and Thunderers ALL
BW

Last edited:

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Ah BW, a meander into Blue-pelican's site can never be brief! Trouble is, he didn't just roam around Kentish stations, but all around the South and East Anglia too.

I still have no idea how to create a link either. So many times have I asked my sons to show me how to do stuff on the computer, tried it, then promptly forgotten again! All I can do is simply recommend Ian D. Nolan's site to any "Southerner". It will significantly reduce workbench time - guaranteed!

Pete.

Last edited:

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Would not have expected anything less from you Pete, :thumbs:, ....in the words of my Grandfather ( a long line of building contractors)..."you've got the job mate" :D

Col.
P.S. .....just counting how many bricks I need for Bow Creek Wharf..:))