Bachmann 03 Diesel

David Hall

Western Thunderer
They have.
Micron Radio Control : 1S (3.7V) LiPo Cells
I get two and a half hours running on one of these - Nano-Tech 750mAh 35C 1S LiPo. Fit a voltage regulator to give 12v DC.
Simon

Thanks Simon!

I need to investigate this further. Could be a game changer! :thumbs:

Just out of interest, please can I ask what the rough 'ball park' cost is of fitting such batteries and an R/C operating system to one of your locos? Just very roughly.

Many thanks for all your help.
Dave

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Dave,
rough figures;
Battery, voltage regulator and switch module from Micron about £15.
Tam Valley RX about £85.
YouChoos DCC chip £100

You will need a Tam Valley Tx to go onto your DCC controler £85 And a good battery charger - about £45 from Micon. Suitable amounts of wire and shrink tube from You Choos.
Simon

David Hall

Western Thunderer
Dave,
rough figures;
Battery, voltage regulator and switch module from Micron about £15.
Tam Valley RX about £85.
YouChoos DCC chip £100

You will need a Tam Valley Tx to go onto your DCC controler £85 And a good battery charger - about £45 from Micon. Suitable amounts of wire and shrink tube from You Choos.
Simon

Cheers Simon, that's really helpful. Not cheap but not too dissimilar to installing a DCC soundchip to be honest. Presumably if a loco already has a DCC chip then that expensive can be negated. Definitely gives food for thought. Thank you very much for being so obliging in answering my raft of questions.

Keep up the good work, it's cracking.
Dave

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Well I have found some photos of my 03 which I cannot believe that I bought back in 2016.....seeing this thread has made me think I ought to do something with it or I will just become a model train collector, not a modeller. Something I do not want to happen as David says too many ideas and not enough time........

In this thread there were comments on the 03's shortfalls....still not that bad for the original price as it is a large model. The photos show the 03 straight out of the box.

DSC_0293.JPG DSC_0294.JPG DSC_0295.JPG DSC_0296.JPG

Guess I have the example in this thread to aspire to....what can I say!

Julian