Anybody going to Ally Pally?

Stephen

Western Thunderer
I vaguely remember IMREX, and have nothing but very fond memories, however I would have been quite young. I would still like to know what happened to the giant Gauge 1 layout - the one with all the telephones.

I have no idea what the trader to layout ratio was at IMREX, but there is a pretty large box shifter presence and the Ally Pally show, but I guess they gotta pay for it somewhow..

JB.
IMREX was usually a belter - split between the two Royal Horticultural Halls in Westminster. Remember Victors always had a stand there, and I'd be staring at the brass HO scale GS 4-8-4 locos, which were priced like only the royalty could afford at that young age!

I'm sure the big Gauge One layout has manifested itself into other guises over the years - there is still a pretty large one attend Warley each year, but seems to have less telephones involved and is purely steam powered (could be wrong). The one at IMREX always had a circuit of stud contact, which I remember one year had a load of lovely Met stock on it - Sarah Siddons style Bo-Bo's, 4-4-4T and a load of looked like Chesham coaches/electric units.

Also have good memories of the International Modelling Exhibition at Wembley Conference centre each January in the early 80's.

Cheers,

Stephen