Andrew Barclay 12inch Tanks in S7

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
A few years ago I bought 2 etches for a Andrew Barclay 12inch Piano tank which I had a look at and duly put to one-side as a project for the future. Then I was asked if I could produce some 3D printed fitting for someone else who had bought one. So that I got all the printed parts to match the etch I got one out and started to produce a 2D and a 3D model the whole loco. If your going to do a job do it properly as my Grandad always said.
In the process of making sure I got everything correct I started to amass some sketches and photos of the locos in there various forms. I have now realised there are 3 main forms a pre 1870 box tank, 1870-1885 concave (piano tank), post 1885 "standard" shape. There are no wheels for them so I will have to do that as well. And that goes for anyone building these regardless of S7 or FS.

Tanks No1 the "box" and No2 the "piano" are the same apart from the shape of the tank. So Draw one and get two. I'm starting with the "Piano" tank. As That was what my client wanted.
In the process of drawing out the etched parts in their flattened and formed up shapes I discovered that there was a big error in the firebox. The etch was about 9mm out. This had also been discovered by the chap who was building my client's builder.

printed parts.jpg

So far I have modelled the smokebox/boiler/Firebox assembly, the chimney, tank filler cap and the safety valves. Once I have finished the backhead I will be printing the whole block as a one piece. These are the fitting so far. Note the safety valves are side mounted.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Barclay 12inch piano tank 3D v8.png Barclay 12inch piano tank 3D backhead.png it been a while since I have posted anything on the progress of this project. so here goes. this is where I have got to. The idea is to have a one piece print as the top to replace the fiddly bits of the original kit.
there is a few small details to put in. and the boiler assembly will be finished for the first type.

Marc

Last edited: