4mm An EM Workbench: n shades of grey

AJC

Western Thunderer
Feels like a group build in the offing?

Do you have a 2mm version to bring to the party? I surely don’t need another… that said, I do have other fitted vans on the go, so if anyone wants to share them while my workbench is out of action (we have the builders in), please feel free.

Adam

Matt.S.

Western Thunderer
Do you have a 2mm version to bring to the party? I surely don’t need another… that said, I do have other fitted vans on the go, so if anyone wants to share them while my workbench is out of action (we have the builders in), please feel free.

Adam
I feel a little fraudulent after taking so much motivation from your workbench thread.

No vanwides, but I have a few other vans on order to try and field a train for Steve M's St Erth.

Reactions: AJC

AJC

Western Thunderer
I feel a little fraudulent after taking so much motivation from your workbench thread.

No vanwides, but I have a few other vans on order to try and field a train for Steve M's St Erth.

Don't fret about that - I appreciate that anyone gets value from the thread (beyond its purpose for me, which is keeping track of what I've been doing). Any sight of those vans when they make their way across the globe to you in NZ would be interesting, should you choose to share it.

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
A post-holiday quickie, in the form of a 51L Furness Railway open (this one for my ‘30s freight train). A couple of things left to do, horse loops and capping strips, and then it's paint time.

FD7F85F4-51EF-4750-A19B-3FAFE5819594.jpeg

Incidentally, if you’re ever in Cromer, Buoys Toys and Models (where I got this from) is well worth a look. Excellent range of paints, kits and bits.

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
A second small open, this time from Prickly Pear Models, a North British three plank.

96B13C79-3028-4E7C-BFC8-C273876B9561.jpeg

Quite a pleasant build, even if I didn’t choose to use the designed in compensation system (it works, but I really couldn’t be bothered to spend sufficient time fettling the axleboxes for a 9’ wheelbase - it’s hot and I’m tired).

Here it is with the Furness wagon we’ve seen before. Quite quaint, really.

2001BCF1-AFCD-4AF5-9010-6CB5328F8DD3.jpeg

Another project, a Ratio LNWR open, which is a minor mystery. Clearly built in EM (the wheels and brake spacing is sport on), but with enormous Tri-Ang(?) tension locks.

802BF202-5A9A-4905-AD41-07670361D781.jpeg

Should keep me busy until it cools down…

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Since the NBR open will be quite long in the tooth for the date modelled, I reckoned that there was an opportunity for something more interesting with weathering - the sort of thing pre-Nationalisation modellers don’t indulge in overmuch (despite plenty of evidence that such scruffy wagons were about). So here, evidence of NB lettering will be showing under the LNER branding.

The process is exactly as I did for the SR van made store I've just completed, but the aim is for the result to be less subtle, but not overtly so. Hence, picture 1 shows the roughly applied ghost of the NB lettering - the 'B' is especially rough, but the proportions of the very distinctive style aren't bad, I reckon:

419E05AC-53FE-4F05-98E0-577090206FB4.jpeg

And picture 2 the starting point for lettering and weathering. In both instances the grey is Humbrol 67, the top coat let down with a spot of white. Once that's hardened up in a few days, I'll add the transfers, seal them, and weather the lot over the top.

C25C0AE4-8B7A-4C79-9109-4076368DCC6E.jpeg

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
First pass, lettering on, a little bit of working back into the ghost letters. The white on the number plate is gloss - once that’s dry I can float in some black (which I think is right) before giving it a coat of Matt lacquer and weathering. The picture is pretty shonky, but you get the idea.

AE9EA1F8-ADBC-478B-9881-391BAC131099.jpeg

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Something finished. It’s really quite difficult to model a goods wagon that’s convincingly new. This Vanwide is an attempt at that, and I think that it’s relatively successful in representing a wagon after a month or two in traffic. Anyone modelling railways in the ‘50s and ‘60s really needs to address this challenge as there were tens of thousands of new wagons heading into traffic, they’re fairly obvious in photos and few things make a model less convincing than caking everything in filth.

1A766905-B849-4988-AA6F-B93963214EA9.jpeg

Adam

EDIT: here's an example -

Last edited:

steve50

Western Thunderer
That is a good point about modelling the 50's - 60's especially mineral wagons before they were complete rust buckets. Although it's a lot more fun completely rusting them to an inch of their lives ;)

Reactions: AJC

AJC

Western Thunderer
That is a good point about modelling the 50's - 60's especially mineral wagons before they were complete rust buckets. Although it's a lot more fun completely rusting them to an inch of their lives ;)

I’ve actually taken a bit more weathering off since! And you’re quite right about 16 tonners, though I’ve yet to make a ‘new’ one, and the fun factor is probably why.

Adam

Western Thunderer
Totally agree on this point, I've not seen any BR built total rust buckets in 1950's photos and as a result won't be doing this treatment on my forthcoming 16 tonners. The MoT, LNER and LMS 16 tonners do seem to be more rusty as they were older if not repainted, but many were repainted by BR. Again reference books like the Larkin books are great for this, along with Tim Mill's pics too!
Tony

D&S GNR Open

AJC

Western Thunderer
Another set of rescues, likely to be a slowish project because we have a newborn in the house (he’s fine, the nearly four year old says he can share his trains, so I'm doing something right!). That said, the first of these, a GNR open from D&S, has been stripped, cleaned, and the body soldered.

Before:

CF7147F2-D7D4-45B8-BC0B-F2A15FC7CBF1.jpeg

After:

A3FF548D-0475-42B2-BAEE-C038FF1BBDC9.jpeg

There’s a second one of these which I’ll do in parallel - always nice to have multiples in the same train - and then there’s this, which turns out to be a David Geen kit for an NER D.44. I know nothing about these, but whatever it was glued together with vanished at the merest whiff of cellulose thinners.

358A29D8-0EF5-4380-92BE-0C98ABB56EEA.jpeg

These are all quite big (I initially thought the GNR ones were S scale until common sense and some measuring came to town), especially compared to the usual 10 ton pre-group open. I think the GNR wagons were for general merchandise, anyone know anything about the NER type?

Adam

Last edited: