4mm An EM Workbench: Mousa printing and Oxford moulding

Mr Lycett-Smith's mogul

AJC

Western Thunderer
If you can't indulge yourself for your birthday, when can you? I didn't need a Churchward mogul, but this example - already in EM, Ultrascale wheels, Portescap motor, Malcolm Mitchell kit - passed my attention at a vulnerable moment. Since it was also quite a lot cheaper than the Dapol RTR equivalent, I failed to say no. I think I know it's origins, but it's probably not for me to say without confirmation.

It's very nicely built and runs well though it's clearly done a few miles and the paint is worn, enough that it's BR identity will see it turned out in black. That will also enable me to fit the short pattern of safety valve cover that they all seem to have had by the time Nationalisation came round and to fit Collett pattern of buffers, together with some discreet reinforcement of the steps to protect them from handling. A handsome thing, and I'm well-pleased.

Churchward_Mogul_001.jpg

Adam

Mr Lycett-Smith's mogul

AJC

Western Thunderer
I noted above that I had suspicions on the provenance of this loco, one of what was clearly a batch of very nice EM GWR locos with a Cambrian sort of emphasis in choice which turned up via Rails of Sheffield. And those suspicions meant that I'd seen it before, as it turns out in MRJ 154. This, I think, is 'my' 4377 (the crew look like those I have in the box, and the coal load matches) in its original surroundings, at Porthafren, Roger Lycett-Smith's Cambrian layout. From that, I assume - sadly - that the layout is no more and that Roger may have left us. This element of his work, however, will live on, albeit with a new coat of paint, and I hope to get some of the same enjoyment he evidently did from building and running her.

1678743481323.png

Anyway, here's Roger, leaning on the nose of a De Havilland Venom of 98 Squadron, RAF, with which he served.: https://www.coldwarshield.co.uk/downloads/volume_two/ColdWarShieldVolumeTwoPage192.pdf. Thank you, Roger.

Adam

Last edited:

Gerry Beale

Western Thunderer
I fear you may be right Adam. I would not be surprised if this were the case although I haven't heard anything definite. It was always a pleasure to chat with him at Expo EM whenever our paths crossed and sometimes we spoke about his RAF service - I believe he was active until a few years ago in the preservation of a Venom. Its been a bad time recently for loosing members of our fraternity - Iain Rice a few months ago and Tony Reynolds just last week. I do look in the mirror sometimes and wonder........

AJC

Western Thunderer
I fear you may be right Adam. I would not be surprised if this were the case although I haven't heard anything definite. It was always a pleasure to chat with him at Expo EM whenever our paths crossed and sometimes we spoke about his RAF service - I believe he was active until a few years ago in the preservation of a Venom. Its been a bad time recently for loosing members of our fraternity - Iain Rice a few months ago and Tony Reynolds just last week. I do look in the mirror sometimes and wonder........

I guess that's a fact of aging, and the demographics of the finescale end of the hobby, in particular, its massive expansion in the later '70s and through the '80s. And that's... well, I'm past 40 now and I was taken to the MRJ Show at Central Hall in 1990 when I'd have comfortably been in the youngest 1 percent of attendees (and I'm glad I went - thanks dad).

In my other life, I encounter this a lot with aging historians (I'm co-organising a tribute to one who died 18 months ago as it happens) and we lament what they didn't get the chance to do, or miss the kind words they'd send on a new publication or achievement (or their dreadful temper). The last two or three years haven't been great for that, and that includes Bob Alderman and Adrian Swain who I'd known all my life. My way of looking at this is to accept that some things will survive us, and some won't.

Adam

simond

Western Thunderer
One of my pals remarked rather sadly in the pub a week or so ago that he’d been to five funerals already this year.

I pointed out to him that, sad though a funeral might be, it was basically ok, if you’re in the taxi on the way home afterwards.

then we had another beer.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Now and again I read instructions, and, as someone who edits for a living, sometimes things stand out:

8D760913-F8A9-4F84-A856-A405D773185E.jpeg

It’s probably as well my chosen prototype didn’t have a tarp’ rail…

Adam

PS - pretty certain this is a straightforward formatting error: the sheet has been shot up from A5.

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
It’s probably as well my chosen prototype didn’t have a tarp’ rail…

If it was a French kit it could be taken as existential.

Took me a few minutes to spot it but it is rather obvious.

Having written procedure manuals and client communications in my professional role, spelling mistakes and grammer jump out at me Especially with electronic communication where authors do not read, check and re-read before hitting the 'send' button.

Western Thunderer
The generous thing to do would be to email PECO and suggest they rectify it for the benefit of all.
Tony

Mr Lycett-Smith's mogul

AJC

Western Thunderer
I noted above that I had suspicions on the provenance of this loco, one of what was clearly a batch of very nice EM GWR locos with a Cambrian sort of emphasis in choice which turned up via Rails of Sheffield. And those suspicions meant that I'd seen it before, as it turns out in MRJ 154. This, I think, is 'my' 4377 (the crew look like those I have in the box, and the coal load matches) in its original surroundings, at Porthafren, Roger Lycett-Smith's Cambrian layout. From that, I assume - sadly - that the layout is no more and that Roger may have left us. This element of his work, however, will live on, albeit with a new coat of paint, and I hope to get some of the same enjoyment he evidently did from building and running her.

View attachment 182542

Anyway, here's Roger, leaning on the nose of a De Havilland Venom of 98 Squadron, RAF, with which he served.: https://www.coldwarshield.co.uk/downloads/volume_two/ColdWarShieldVolumeTwoPage192.pdf. Thank you, Roger.

Adam

A minor update - I've had the tender in pieces today, in order to strip the tank ready for a repaint (all very nicely done, though a couple of items will need resoldering). The initials 'RLS' and the date '1998' are scratched onto the paint of the chassis top which confirms my thinking. No picture, because it reveals his address and that's not right. I had been planning to do a repaint of all the sub assemblies, but I think I'll just touch that one up.

Adam

Last edited:

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
Hello Adam, just found this thread and read through a good many pages, very much enjoying your superb work, especially the wagon detailing, something I keep meaning to get into doing more.

Reactions: AJC

AJC

Western Thunderer
Hello Adam, just found this thread and read through a good many pages, very much enjoying your superb work, especially the wagon detailing, something I keep meaning to get into doing more.

Thanks, Chas - I’m always pleased that it’s appreciated and that it’s more than a way of passing my evenings. And wagons are addictive: you genuinely can’t have enough.

Adam

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
...And wagons are addictive: you genuinely can’t have enough.

Adam
Ha - I just posted a reply on another forum to someone who's building a lot of LNWR coaches and said you can never have enough of them, pointing out that whether or not that's true, he's certinly going to be in a position to find out for himself, given the number he's building: I expect you'll be able to confirm or deny whether it's true for wagons too... I wonder why we find the sight of long trains of wagons going past so fascinating to watch?

Reactions: AJC