4mm An EM Workbench: Mousa printing and Oxford moulding

Stephenson, Clarke RCH Mineral

AJC

Western Thunderer
A bit of patch painting and job done. :)

Exactly so!

Here's another, one of the better wagons from the same batch (though with a distinctly wonky body, since straightened out) was this one, which has a compensated inner chassis, quite unnecessarily from a running point of view, and I'm not at all sure of the origin, but a deal more durable than the Cambrian mouldings from bitter experience.

RCH_Stephenson_Clarke_002.jpg

RCH_Stephenson_Clarke_003.jpg

Another patch painting, BR numbering, weathering, and release to traffic job. Quite satisfying.

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
Could well be an early Cambrian or Slater's kit.

Definitely Cambrian: I've built several (and the builder could assemble a Slater's kit square). It’s the etched subframe that’s anonymous (three point compensation, brake gear seems integral, nickel silver - I can tell you what it isn’t…).

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Coming on, but a load and some work on the underframe is still required. The 24 1/2 tonner - one of the last of these built, with double door springs and roller bearings from new - has been lurking around for a fair old time but I've only just got around to lettering it, hence its presence on the workbench. They really are a decent size, those...

RCH_Stephenson_Clarke_00.jpg

Adam

Last edited:
Milk Tank

AJC

Western Thunderer
Podimore - in my imagination, anyway - had a dairy and that means milk tanks. I enter into this subject with significant trepidation as the things are complicated, massively varied in minor details and *in the same wagon* split between different owners. Added to that, the different pre-Nationalisation railways did their own versions. Kits are few, complex, and expensive (and not in production) and the two RTR versions in 4mm are a bit naff (though the LIMA one has a good, scale, tank and decent fittings, it turns out).

I made a start on the chassis for one some time ago and it stalled, wanting for enthusiasm. A chance purchase of a complete vehicle (which seems to include etched bits from David Geen, but the castings look a bit crude for that - didn't Keyser do one?) for next to nothing recently - and dad admitting defeat with his Geen kit - means the project has woken from its slumbers and I have bits sufficient for three, and a LIMA donor tank for a fourth, if willpower allows.

Milk_007.jpg

Here's the tank 'as found'. It's a bit of a state, missing a buffer at one end, but came near complete, and in EM (a bonus!) and, despite the solebar's bold proclamations, it's actually a GWR type which had been... modified to make it LMS-ish. Why 'ish'? The LMS gave their milk tanks coach wheels while the other three railways went for wagon wheels and, yes, the brake levers were in roughly this position, but... no. That said, it's square, it doesn't fall off dad's test track, and cost me just over a tenner.

A dunk in IPA removed the 'weathering', the LMS lettering, and the silver paint. I was actually a bit peeved about the latter as it'll be a swine to mask up when the time comes. One strap came off, as did the ladders, brake and steam pipes, and, unfortunately, some of the end ironwork. The turned brass buffers were removed, taking the buffer beam with it as the epoxy gave way.

Milk_009.jpg

Milk_008.jpg

Anyway, after a protracted clean up I soldered the displaced buffer beam back on and patched the damaged one with a scrap of whitemetal which should make it a bit more durable. The thing will end up as a diagram O.39 with Dean Churchward brakegear as delivered to United Dairies with one of those attractive (and, thanks to Rumney Models, modellable), access platforms some Unigate vehicles had. The other two vehicles in the branch milk train will have more sophisticated (sprung!) underpinnings, but more of those in 2023. Probably.

Adam

Last edited:

ullypug

Western Thunderer
Looking good Adam. Complement of the season and all that.
Can’t wait to see what you do with this. I’ve a stash of 6 Lima tanks somewhere from my youth. Don’t think they ever got as far as Cheddar though!
I noticed the North British Warship. Has it been re wheeled? I’ve one in the cupboard for a future conversion to P4.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Looking good Adam. Complement of the season and all that.
Can’t wait to see what you do with this. I’ve a stash of 6 Lima tanks somewhere from my youth. Don’t think they ever got as far as Cheddar though!
I noticed the North British Warship. Has it been re wheeled? I’ve one in the cupboard for a future conversion to P4.

Hello Andrew,

The tank is very much the best bit, but they - in the best LIMA fashion - look near enough right, barring the wheels. In best LIMA fashion, they’re not right in any special particular, of course… I don’t suppose the Warship ever got anywhere near Cheddar, either! It’s dad’s and he said he’d used the original wheels with the faces skimmed in the lathe - quite tight between the frames of course. It works nicely, but it needs a bit of work to sort out the coupling swing because of the overhang. The test track goes round a corner at about a 2’ 9” radius which the loco does just fine, but obviously is rather tighter than the real thing could manage. Even for the 3'6" of South Junction something must be done.

Adam

Last edited:
Milk Tank

AJC

Western Thunderer
It looks like the K's kit to me - Photos from a hulk in my 'I'll get round to it one day' pile attached.

View attachment 177134View attachment 177135

Cheers - I’d say that’s conclusive. The etched bits between the frames on mine certainly aren’t, and I think the tank has been replaced with something that isn’t whitemetal. No matter, I think it’s worth the effort and should be relatively quick to sort out.

Thanks again,

Adam

Deve_

The kit came with a pre-rolled sheet metal tank (not sure what, but not brass on mine), it was just the ends that were white metal, so it's probably original.

Reactions: AJC
Milk Tank

AJC

Western Thunderer
Reconstruction continues apace (using bits from the Geen etches that came with dad's donor vehicle). The linkages are broadly representative where they can be seen rather than an accurate rendition and, of course, you can't really see them in this picture which rather justifies that approach, doesn't it? Buffers and couplings next.

Milk_010.jpg

219FD262-958C-43DB-9612-94D64D50EF99.jpeg

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
'A little break from working out what else needs doing to the milk tank, a quick upgrade of another Cambrian RCH mineral. This uses an etched subframe (bearing the name @Martin Finney) to replace the moulded underpinnings completely. I all goes together very nicely, and the next one will be an evening's work. A good, simple product available in various types: Wagon sub-frames

I'm out of suitable axleboxes and springs for the moment so can't finish it (this will form part of the pre-Nationalisation freight train).

Cory_002.jpg

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
It transpires that I did have suitable running gear, and here’s the complete wagon, ready for loading and weathering (in order to hide the rather worn lettering).

Cory_003.jpg

There's quite a queue for weathering as it happens, but the latest wagon is a bit of a shelf queen, one of Mr Bulleid's follies, which BR branded dia. 1/033. The full length dropsides on an RCH type chassis were (and are) heavy so almost as soon as they were built they were placed on loan to the SR's engineers. The loan turned out to be permanent and many have found heir way into preservation, notably at Tenterden and on the Isle of Wight.

BR_1_033_001.jpg

I've wanted to do one of these for a long time, and while there are lots of routes you could take, I've gone for a (modified) Rumney Models 10' Morton underframe, altered to give independent brakes (quite some time ago), and some 30 thou' plastic sheet this evening. Lots to do.

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Another shelf queen. This rested because I wasn’t in the mood for the associated complexity (@ullypug may empathise as I seem to remember he bought more than one). A hangover from Mr Dean’s railway that for some reason BR allowed to be built, under a GWR order, the P22 is quite an interesting wagon but not an awfully good bit of vehicle design. This is a kit from Rumney Models, and it’s pretty decent, if fearsome in its complexity.

79F29A4C-ED8F-4E56-B911-86521150B8DA.jpeg

I’m pleased with my work on the chassis (anyone building one should remember to put the axle boxes on *before* the brake levers and thread the vacuum pipe in before adding any of the door gear - you could use wire rather than expensive tube that way), and I didn’t skimp on the bells and whistles of tiny details. I struggled with the hopper body, and that’s entirely my own fault: it will require a bit of Miliput to make good as it’s a bit too battered. It’s a lot easier than the Southwark Bridge P7 though…

Adam

Last edited:

ullypug

Western Thunderer
Another shelf queen. This rested because I wasn’t in the mood for the associated complexity (@ullypug may empathise as I seem to remember he bought more than one). A hangover from Mr Dean’s railway that for some reason BR allowed to be built, under a GWR order, the P22 is quite an interesting wagon but not an awfully good bit of vehicle design. This is a kit from Rumney Models, and it’s pretty decent, if fearsome in its complexity.

View attachment 180050

I’m pleased with my work on the chassis (anyone building one should remember to put the axle boxes on *before* the brake levers and thread the vacuum pipe in before adding any of the door gear - you could use wire rather than expensive tube that way), and I didn’t skimp on the bells and whistles of tiny details. I struggled with the hopper body, and that’s entirely my own fault: it will require a bit of Miliput to make good as it’s a bit too battered. It’s a lot easier than the Southwark Bridge P7 though…

Adam
Yes, I have 6 of these to do, plus a Southwark Bridge P7…
And no I haven’t started any of them!

• Haha

AJC

Western Thunderer
Yes, I have 6 of these to do, plus a Southwark Bridge P7…
And no I haven’t started any of them!

Crikey! Decent length train there, in time...

Apart from the above notes, which are the only additions I'd make to Justin's instructions, I wonder whether the hopper might be easier to do if jigged to the chassis (which provides a nice stable datum) rather than the sacrificial cradle? That’s where I had issues, specifically in separating the hopper assembly from that cradle and adding it to the chassis. Consequently it’s a little out of true owing to flex issues of my own creation and the amount of half etch. Were I to do another, I think I’d try building in situ in one hit. That’s the approach the Southwark Bridge one used, as does Dave Bradwell with his hoppers.

Adam

Last edited:

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer

View attachment 180050

Adam
As ever, that’s very nice, Adam
I must treat myself to one of Justin’s creations. Maybe not a hopper, though!

Cheers

Jan

ullypug

Western Thunderer
Crikey! Decent length train there, in time...

Apart from the above notes, which are the only additions I'd make to Justin's instructions, I wonder whether the hopper might be easier to do if jigged to the chassis (which provides a nice stable datum) rather than the sacrificial cradle? That’s where I had issues, specifically in separating the hopper assembly from that cradle and adding it to the chassis. Consequently it’s a little out of true owing to flex issues of my own creation and the amount of half etch. Were I to do another, I think I’d try building in situ in one hit. That’s the approach the Southwark Bridge one used, as does Dave Bradwell with his hoppers.

Adam
Yes it will be. I envisage a batch build…
There’s 6 Cambrian ones as well! My fault for modelling a location with 3 stone loading points within station limits!
Not to mention 4 starfish, a few Dogfish, grampus and a couple of mermaids.
And that’s before we start talking strawberries