7mm American O scale Southern Pacific Motive Power and Rolling Stock

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Hi Stephen, PSC have always had a reputation for accurate, well detailed models. For me, that tends to put them ahead of Sunset, easily up with Overland, but behind Glacier Park. Now, apart from those spluttering "Oh no, not Jason again ... and why doesn't he include Iron Horse Models and blah, blah,", all those brands focus on RTR and PSC's strength is the range of brass and plastic detail parts it also advertises. Don't forget all O-scale brass is produced in numbers we can count, so maybe not all available at the same time.

OK, enough throat-clearing, if I was offered an O-scale D&H caboose for $300, apart from being astonished, I'd say "Ah well, PSC ... hope any bits that have come loose are in the box."

Enough Jason, get off the computer and finish that Quality Craft D&H caboose kit ... years of fun. And remind Stephen that Atlas ran a nice SP caboose, can't remember the actual SP class, bay window with 3 or 4 spaced-out windows. It was produced in non-SP liveries too, but was accurate for the SP version, nice trucks with leaf springs.
1677664803647.png
Jason

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Hi Jason,

Funnily enough the Atlas Bay Window caboose (C-30-4 or maybe 5) is also on the agenda, alas I've not found one in SP livery on evil bay, and a search of US hobby stores has also drawn a blank....but I await (naively?) a future re-run of them from Atlas....

The PSC is the 'iconic' C-30-1, which seems to be everybody's 'darling' when it comes to SP steam era cabooses, so I think I've pretty much made up my mind to get one.....its just a big gulp to swallow that much dosh on a 'brake van'! :eek:

Any news on the IM Wheels?

Cheers,

Stephen

PhilH

Western Thunderer
Stephen,
You can sometimes get a good idea about prices from Brass Trains at: Brass Guide Live: Online Brass Model Train Price & Data Guide
You need to open an account and log in to get the price data, but don't need to make a purchase to do that.

They list several SP wood cabooses by PSC, all previously sold at prices between $265 and $395.

The only C-30-1 cabooses I can find listed by PSC were done in 1987 at $149 new with PSC Ref. No.15859 unpainted. Brass Trains current list one in stock at $495 unpainted !!!!
So make what you can from all that !

If possible check the PSC Ref. Number. If its the 1987 model and painted, most likely is a custom paint job rather than factory painted. If its in good condition and well painted its probably a reasonable price.

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Stephen,
You can sometimes get a good idea about prices from Brass Trains at: Brass Guide Live: Online Brass Model Train Price & Data Guide
You need to open an account and log in to get the price data, but don't need to make a purchase to do that.

They list several SP wood cabooses by PSC, all previously sold at prices between $265 and $395.

The only C-30-1 cabooses I can find listed by PSC were done in 1987 at $149 new with PSC Ref. No.15859 unpainted. Brass Trains current list one in stock at $495 unpainted !!!!
So make what you can from all that !

If possible check the PSC Ref. Number. If its the 1987 model and painted, most likely is a custom paint job rather than factory painted. If its in good condition and well painted its probably a reasonable price.
Thank Phil - I am indeed a regular viewer of Brass Trains - lost many an evening looking through the listings past and present!

I'd noted that $495 listing and was wondering whether it was a bit pie in the sky, incidentally another chap in the states also offered me another C-30-1 unpainted for $450.....so whilst the $300 offer does seem a good deal, I'm always interested in other peoples views, and don't worry I wont hold anyone accountable for recommending a purchase! :))

The one I've been offered is unpainted which does pose the next question of whether I pay for someone to do the paint job or have a go at it myself....

Cheers,

Stephen

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Thank Phil - I am indeed a regular viewer of Brass Trains - lost many an evening looking through the listings past and present!

I'd noted that $495 listing and was wondering whether it was a bit pie in the sky, incidentally another chap in the states also offered me another C-30-1 unpainted for $450.....so whilst the $300 offer does seem a good deal, I'm always interested in other peoples views, and don't worry I wont hold anyone accountable for recommending a purchase! :))

The one I've been offered is unpainted which does pose the next question of whether I pay for someone to do the paint job or have a go at it myself....

Cheers,

Stephen
I think you had talked yourself into it long before you posed the question on here :thumbs:

JB.

Stephen

Western Thunderer

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Hi Jason,

Funnily enough the Atlas Bay Window caboose (C-30-4 or maybe 5) is also on the agenda, alas I've not found one in SP livery on evil bay, and a search of US hobby stores has also drawn a blank....but I await (naively?) a future re-run of them from Atlas....

The PSC is the 'iconic' C-30-1, which seems to be everybody's 'darling' when it comes to SP steam era cabooses, so I think I've pretty much made up my mind to get one.....its just a big gulp to swallow that much dosh on a 'brake van'! :eek:

Any news on the IM Wheels?

Cheers,

Stephen

Separate post about availability of IntMtn wheels
Jason

Stephen

Western Thunderer

Separate post about availability of IntMtn wheels
Jason
I’ll keep that one in the back pocket - would prefer the earlier livery as per your previous post…..although I do have a set of Protocraft transfers….

cheers,

Stephen

Stephen

Western Thunderer
One of the box cars I’m preparing is an Atlas AAR 40’ Double Door (DD) box car. Its an ex-Intermountain (IM) body which is generally a good representation of an SP A-50-13 Auto car, bar the fact it has Youngstown 6’ doors, where as the SP prototype had 7’ doors. I had hoped to get an unbuilt IM DD kit and obtain 7’ doors, but alas nothing on the market, and this model came up at a very reasonable price.

04545ED0-F1C1-4AAE-9CBC-6673ECF10EAD.jpeg

So plan of action is to replace the Atlas underframe with an IM one, which will allow for IM Truck and wheels to be utilised, and the oversize Atlas bogies will disappear into a draw. The Atlas model also comes fitted with an Apex roof walkway, which the SP A-50-13 weren’t fitted with. No problem here, seeing as the roof has been removed and will be used on an IM kit, with the IM’s roof and wooden walk way used on the Atlas Model.
22DE3C12-D8CA-4DB0-8350-0AEF2D36FB0C.jpeg

I debated whether to strip the body back to the bare plastic, but remembered (after faux posting a request to Yorkshire Dave) that I had some Phoenix Precision Super Strip in the garage. This was used liberally to take the former UP lettering off the body side. There seems to be a bit of residue still on the side, but it does not seem to be pronounced in anyway, so hopefully the primer should cover it. I will however give it a rub down with fine grade paper before painting. It should be noted, I was probably a bit hasty with the application on the first side, and subsequently some of the rivets have ‘softened’, nothing noticeable to the eye, but upon touch you can feel them to be less sharp.

22F6BC6E-CFBF-41AA-8C65-095F817DD096.jpeg

Two ‘blocks’ will need to be built up where the current Atlas track frame pivot section goes, but this will simply be with a few layers of plastickard, then the new IM underframe attached. Once all the ‘rebuild’ work has been undertaken, it will be primed, painted and then a set of Protocraft A-50-12 (50’ Auto Cars) transfers ‘amended’ to suit a A-50-13 lettering.

A43D9639-603E-434B-B284-6358C83B572B.jpeg9FC3A5CB-33EB-4DB1-870B-03F65A8CE030.jpeg

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
I had hoped to get an unbuilt IM DD kit and obtain 7’ doors, but alas nothing on the market, and this model came up at a very reasonable price.
Hi Stephen,
I'm perhaps a bit too late to be useful, but I have several undecorated IM kits for the 1937 AAR boxcars. I'm quite willing to part with them as while they would fit into some of my modeling plans, I have no idea when they might get used. I can always replace them later if needed. Of course, I'm way over here and you are presumably way over there, so international shipping will likely make the sale impractical. But send me a note if you are interested.

By the way, I also have some of the IM undecorated 55 ton open hoppers. Bought along with the boxcars from IM at one of the Denver train shows when I lived there. And then there are the decorated models. I should make a list.

Jim

simond

Western Thunderer
Off topic again…

Hatton’s are advertising US outline s/h stock, presuming most of those interested will browse this thread

Just seen this, not my boat at all but hope of interest

Product Search

Sorry for the interruption, carry on!

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Hatton’s are advertising US outline s/h stock, presuming most of those interested will browse this thread
All the "O Gauge" is just that, unfortunately - it is an accurate description in American terms - "O Gauge" being 3-rail stuff. :(
If it had been "O Scale" - the description for 2-rail - I think more of us would've got excited. Not sure we have any 3-railers on WT?

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Quick hit the other night on improving on the the Atlas Single Sheath Box cars - SP one has been fitted with Kadees, Athearn Andrews Trucks and IM wheels. Need to add a shim/fibre washer between the trucks and the underframe to raise the height of the body slightly, otherwise it's a stark improvement of the chucky atlas trucks (Frisco Auto car).

7231309F-1474-4E5C-B155-73A649E627AF.jpegE8857C04-1B06-4766-93EC-D5DCA80E9186.jpeg

Comparison shot of the two cars.

5D24849A-A559-4342-842C-0D7080061390.jpeg

Also another addition to the fleet, and a break away from box cars.......Atlas ACF Covered hopper - thanks to @Brian T for the heads up on this one - good price on ebay from Rails of Sheffield.

8E6AA1C3-51B7-462A-94FC-1B6530AAD8A6.jpeg

Hopefully more deliveries in due course after @Big Train James has been on the scout out for more items from the Chicago meet.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Something For the future……

893CD5E0-1959-4565-BA8C-3E0AB32072D2.jpeg

Snapped up for £29 including postage, the aim will be to make this Into a ‘decent’ representation of a C-30-6 without going over £100, anything more than that and I might as well just go full guns and buy a brass version!

Initial thoughts are new trucks, kadees, revise the underframe with spare IM parts, smooth off moulded hand rails and replace with wire, new ladders, new walkway and new veranda handrail/brake column. Spares Box will come into play with this conversion….Then of course repaint into SP livery with Protocraft transfers (already purchased).

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen

Western Thunderer
A bit of progress on the Atlas Box car underframe ’conversions’ - skilled modellers look away now!

Spare IM underframe were used, simply building a bolster from plasticard to replace the metal version suitable only for Atlas oversized trucks.

97CA4C32-0ABA-4382-AA50-20357E4A49B1.jpeg424CF740-5AFB-4C5D-BAE8-B403E598B0E6.jpeg

Spare IM underframe details have been used where the Atlas components couldn’t be recycled. Next step is to spray primer the whole of the underframes, then paint black/box car oxide and then weather.

Naturally the whole of the auto car needs to be primed before painting. Content that I’ve got a method of ‘improving‘ Atlas box cars, with another chassis components already prepped in anticipation of an SP Autocar being delivered in due course.

Interesting to note that where I had presumed the standard IM box cars had couplers at the ‘correct‘ height, but lining them up against the GPM 2-8-0 they were considerably higher. Adding Kadee couplers to the Atlas cars, but not fixing with the top blanking plate is actually a perfect match height wise to the 2-8-0.

Next job is to move the SP Overnight Box car mod on, by continuing the application of Archer rivets.

Cheers,

Stephen

Last edited:

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Ignoring my last statement of going back to the Overnight box car, I was easily distracted and tried out a Des Plaines Hobbies replacement Apex walkway for an IM kit.
F6AB2098-4C52-47AE-BBED-6174D249586B.jpegC4363BD2-3C20-429E-996B-CF912C922282.jpeg

still need to add the end supports and grab rails, but will then give a spray of primer and see what the end result is.

This particular box car will probably go in either SP or T&NO ‘later’ livery with full ‘Southern Pacific’ livery vice ‘SP’.

cheers,

Stephen

Last edited: