7mm American O scale Southern Pacific Motive Power and Rolling Stock

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Found him.

For example he was after offers of $12000 for all of this lot.

Ma be worth looking him up to see if he has anything left.

View attachment 178121

JB.
There's got to be a 0 missing from that figure, $12,000 is a bloody bargain, even if they're all 3rd rail lower quality import the cab forwards are $1500-2000 apiece. Bottom three shelves are roughly $1500 each, top three are probably in the $1000-1200 each, couple of $6-700 maybe's.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
So….bit of a subjective post here…..

The Sunset Brass 2-8-2 as per the photo below has been offered to me from a guy in the states for about a grand (sterling)…..I’m tempted, but what are peoples thoughts on this being a good price for a Sunset Brass loco?

it is one of the older versions, so more detailed than the newer stuff. Last reported sale on Brass Trains was circa $995….

There was a weathered version for sale on EBay in the last week which I bid on and went for a lot less…..but I’m wondering whether that was due to it having some parts requiring repair.

Anyway, thoughts of those who know a bit more about brass than me would be appreciated!
Cheers,

StephenView attachment 178113
That price (approx $1200) is toward the top end dealers price range for an original Sunset model, not 3rd rail. Brass Trains is a good guide but only if someone want's it, there's quite a few I've book marked over the course of last year, all at top end prices....they're still available.

Typically the 3rd Rail ones pop up now and again and most go for $6-800, that weathered one that went the other week was a good price (I forgot about it and missed it or it would be on it's way here by now), they're nice models and with sympathetic up lifting can be very nice. I've got the 3rd Rail UP version and it is a nice model. I think all in mine was around £500.

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

The question is, is the original older Sunset run detail worth an extra £6-700...because that's what it'll cost once you add postage and VAT, you might get lucky and miss the VAT man, but I'd not bet much on it these days as they've cracked down a lot.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
There's actually two Sunset Mikes (one UP and one SP) on Ebay right now, one in the US and one in the UK and both around the £1100 region.

Looking at both models and the enlarged images I can't see much difference to mine, so I double checked and mine isn't a 3rd rail one like I originally thought. However, I do know I didn't pay that much for mine and I still think both are at the top end of their price range.

Digging around a bit more there are Sunset Mikados manufactured in 2000 for both SP and UP, but some are boxed in the original Sunset yellow with black covering one end/corner and the rifle barrel motif, others are in the 3rd rail black and orange boxes but both have the same build date, my gut is that it's the same model but different branding. 3rd Rail may have run a batch later but I've not found it yet.

Brian McKenzie

Western Thunderer
Found him.

For example he was after offers of $12000 for all of this lot.

Ma be worth looking him up to see if he has anything left.

View attachment 178121

JB.

I was privileged to visit Gordon Briggs and his P48 layout in 2016. It left a lasting impression as having the smoothest running performance of any layout I've seen around the globe.

Gordon Briggs P48 layout_2016.jpg[screen shot only, sorry]

P48 SP2813_Gordon Briggs_3970a.jpg
This 2-8-0 was absolutely rock steady as it traversed a lengthy run, as did all the rolling stock trailing behind. The loco's driving wheels with their fine P48 flanges, were a delight to watch as they rotated without any wobble or quiver through turnouts.
The answer to this was Gordon's well equipped machine shop in a separate adjacent building.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I was privileged to visit Gordon Briggs and his P48 layout in 2016. It left a lasting impression as having the smoothest running performance of any layout I've seen around the globe.

View attachment 178197[screen shot only, sorry]

View attachment 178198
This 2-8-0 was absolutely rock steady as it traversed a lengthy run, as did all the rolling stock trailing behind. The loco's driving wheels with their fine P48 flanges, were a delight to watch as they rotated without any wobble or quiver through turnouts.
The answer to this was Gordon's well equipped machine shop in a separate adjacent building.
They’re all great looking locos as well from the adverts showing the locos for sale.

If I had the bank account, I’d be ditching the Rio Grande and importing the lot!

JB.

Stephen

Western Thunderer
So…..the search is over, and I finally have pretty much what I started out looking for. Fate was on my side when I was outbid on the 2-8-2’s a few weeks ago, although obviously I’ve paid a fair bit more for this Glacier Park C-9, but sure looks worth it!

4B49848C-099E-417C-8494-A5526A388A9F.jpeg

Hopefully it should land (safely) on UK shores within the next two weeks, then it’s just a caboose to complete the rake.

With a sabbatical planned from work in March/April, that‘ll allow a fair few days to crack on with moving the box car rake forward.
Cheers,

Stephen

mickoo

Western Thunderer
You got a good model there, I had them in my saved list and the Glacier Park model was the best of the bunch.

Glacier Park are usually very well done, far better than 3rd Rail, Sunset or other import brass, very hard to come by too.

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Yes I had my eye on that too.. lovely model!!

JB.
I was very tempted by the P-10 4-6-2 too, but with all the brass loco auctions ending at the same time, it didn’t really bode well for bidding on multiple items - the 2-8-0 took priority!

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen

Western Thunderer
This beaut arrived today - completely in awe of the level of craftsmanship.

D0F17D25-F5C2-4A67-BC33-40CA49BA7FBB.jpeg

it survived the trans-Atlantic journey pretty much unscathed - the fireman has been dislodged, but thats about it…. Not sure about his red baseball cap, sort of reminds me of Doland Trump…..

EB097EC8-4315-46D1-AF4F-8C480B679B07.jpeg
Cheers,

Stephen

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Aaaah 2-8-0s ... if my Mum's two sisters hadn't emigrated to the US after WW2 I'd probably be loving an S&D 7F, but they sent me those books.

My first RTR was a 2nd-hand US Hobbies brass 2-8-0 (unptd UP) in Bernie Victor's shop, early 70s - great US O-scale learning tool, super switcher and branch/shortline road loco (Vanderbilt tender).

Quick, back to present day ... er, existentially (?what's wrong with 'now') I have been handed a large quantity of used Peco code 143 rail, flat-bottom track (sleeper base plastic mouldings have wooden sleepers and Pandrol clips) in good condition. Mostly bundled in yard lengths x10 for shipping, not sure I'm allowed to quote pricing on here so if anyone's interested send me a note ... yes, lots of Peco matching points too!
Jason

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Yes you got an absolute corker there for money, quality and rarity!

Just try not to make them an addiction :))

JB.
Well…..there was also a GPM SP 2-6-0 which the same vendor had up for auction, which ended last night…..I was very tempted, but I’d rather wait for a GPM Mk-4 2-8-2 or S12 0-6-0…..so the addiction is certainly manifesting, although currently ‘controlled’….!

However, a few of those Sunset Brass 60’ Harriman Heavyweights wouldn’t go amiss in due course….

Roll on some time off work to make a dent on finishing the box car rake.

Cheers,

Stephen

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I was very tempted by the P-10 4-6-2 too, but with all the brass loco auctions ending at the same time, it didn’t really bode well for bidding on multiple items - the 2-8-0 took priority!

The C9 is a more useful loco to have than a P10

Well…..there was also a GPM SP 2-6-0 which the same vendor had up for auction, which ended last night…..I was very tempted, but I’d rather wait for a GPM Mk-4 2-8-2 or S12 0-6-0…..so the addiction is certainly manifesting, although currently ‘controlled’….!

Was the 2-6-0 a M4, M6 or M21?

Could also go for a S10 instead of a S12......

Stephen

Western Thunderer
The C9 is a more useful loco to have than a P10

Was the 2-6-0 a M4, M6 or M21?

Could also go for a S10 instead of a S12......
The Mogul was an M6 - lovely model, but not so lovely £560 import charge! saying that it went for about $1500, and there is another one on BrassTrains currently priced at $2995…….ah regret….!

GPM only produced an S12, and in all honesty I think I’ll be waiting some time before one comes up for sale at a sensible price, likewise with the Mk-4.….no rush though.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Morning All,

The usual canvasing for knowledge and opinion for a potential purchase....

I've been offered a Precision Scale Co O scale mint condition SP C-30-1 Caboose for $300 (so about £250). Its in the states so I'll have to add postage/import/Paypal G&S fees to that, but general thoughts - good deal?

Cheers,

Stephen