American O gauge at Hattons

Rob R

Western Thunderer
This may be of interest to one or two of you.
Just had an email from Hattons advertising a large collection of American O Gauge they have just listed.
Hattons Stuff

Usual disclaimers blah blah blah

alastairq

That MTH 0-8-0 switcher look to be a bar-ginn? [A under 100 pension-quids]

I note Hattons state it is to O Gauge (1:43 Scale)

[Weren't US O scale models to 1:48 scale?]

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Yes, there was a large dose of excitement when I found them last night, followed quickly by an even larger dose of of disappointment…

JB.

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Yes, there was a large dose of excitement when I found them last night, followed quickly by an even larger dose of of disappointment…

JB.
Likewise….
Although some of the wheels on the freight cars could have been useful this morning to clear the snow from my drive….

Cheers,

Stephen

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I note Hattons state it is to O Gauge (1:43 Scale)
Given that Hatton's main concern with 'Pre Owned' stuff is usually the state of the box it comes in, personally I'm amazed they get the scale close!! ;)

Of course in American terms 3-rail is generally described as "O Gauge" and 2-rail is called "O Scale", a simple 'shorthand' way to distinguish the two, although both at 1:48th scale, so if Hattons just put "O Gauge" then that is a correct description for 3-rail that anyone interested will understand.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Given that Hatton's main concern with 'Pre Owned' stuff is usually the state of the box it comes in, personally I'm amazed they get the scale close!! ;)

Of course in American terms 3-rail is generally described as "O Gauge" and 2-rail is called "O Scale", a simple 'shorthand' way to distinguish the two, although both at 1:48th scale, so if Hattons just put "O Gauge" then that is a correct description for 3-rail that anyone interested will understand.
Its not that simple though. Most 3 rail O gauge locos and stock are not to 1:48 scale, they are Lionel Standard or traditional size. They are smaller overall and shorter than prototype. I am not an expert but it looks like only a few of the items for sale at Hattons are to 1:48 scale so buying one of the boxcars and expecting to convert it to scale wheels would lead to tears. The exceptions I have noticed are the Williams O Crown Edition locos, these are 1:48 scale brass made in Korea, with simplified detailing, and could be converted to 2 rail scale wheels and detailed to produce useful locos. Williams by Bachmann is totally different and is nearly all under scale.