7mm Airfix Land Rover Series 1 107" pickup

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike,
Do you have a link please, if they are available in 1/18 scale, they will be ideal for my Aston Martin Ulster.
Thank you.
Mark

Osgood

Western Thunderer
The Classic Commercials kits came with a very decent selection of etched number plates.
And the rears were the square type that would have been fitted to the LR.
Mind you a fairly expensive way of obtaining etched plates!
These arrived in the post today. I think I'll be using the silver letters.
Just got to come up with a reg number.

Mike

If you select a year and location I could take a peek:

IMG_1122.JPGIMG_1123.JPG

Osgood

Western Thunderer
RUF XXX used Nov 1955 to Mar 1956, first reg in 1956 was RUF 588
SCD XXX used Mar 1956 to Jun 1956
SUF XXX used Jun 1956 to Nov 1956
TCD XXX used Nov 1956 to ?, first reg in 1957 was TCD252.

Has to be a RUF plate :))

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
RUF XXX used Nov 1955 to Mar 1956, first reg in 1956 was RUF 588
SCD XXX used Mar 1956 to Jun 1956
SUF XXX used Jun 1956 to Nov 1956
TCD XXX used Nov 1956 to ?, first reg in 1957 was TCD252.

Has to be a RUF plate :))
Thank you. :thumbs: RUF it is then. I'll come up with a suitable number in due course.I might have to rewind slightly to 1955 in order to use a lower number than 588 (I'm assuming the numbers weren't applied randomly?).

Funnily enough I may have owned a car with a RUF prefix. I'm trying to recollect, but it wasn't a Land Rover.

Cheers
Mike

Osgood

Western Thunderer
XXX SBF is not in the 1948 - 1957 schedule (ONLY SBB,H,J,M, P and T).
Nor IS XXX SBF (Only XXX SBA to N).

Guess it was registered post 1957? Last S1 was built 1958 I think?

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
I believe it was a 1952 build, but I suspect it might have had a military plate for some years before being re-registered with a civilian plate

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
First attempt at number plate.
20240807_203650.jpg

I'm not sure whether I need to add some Micro Sol to aid adhesion. Or wait until the decals dry before adding some varnish. Tax disc is from a sheet of Pressfix transfers. I suspect it's a no smoking sign or something, but it works for me!

I've also added an exhaust system as this is not catered for in the kit. Copper wire and some brass tube.
20240807_203714.jpg

Mike

Osgood

Western Thunderer
My 80” S1 was 898SBF - do we know where she was registered?

Sorry for the diversion!

According to Glass's Index. 1963 Spring edition -

There were no XXX SBF registrations prior to early 1963.
However, SBF XXX was a Staffordshire registration, first used 1961.

smiley-sherlock.gif

Osgood

Western Thunderer
However 2:
I can't see any evidence of an area Licensing Authority using the same letters to precede numbers as they used to follow numbers.

So XXX SBF might well have been issued by an Authority other than Staffordshire.

simond

Western Thunderer
1723118363316.jpeg

defo 898SBF. Well, that's what the plates said anyway...

Under the regulation deep bronze green, there were patches of what might be considered to be Royal (Navy) Blue. I suspect it was used on a dockyard somewhere, or maybe overseas, and then re-registered as a civvy. I wonder how my mate is getting on with it - I haven't seen him since before Covid.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
No idea what the policy was back then of issuing reg. nos for vehicles built and used before registration (e.g. military / imports).
They would probably not have used (e.g.) a 1967 reg. if it had been first registered in 1967 following demob.
These days I think they're in the main still using Scottish reg nos.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
No idea what the policy was back then of issuing reg. nos for vehicles built and used before registration

Most local authorities were issued a block or blocks of numbers, and just issued them with new vehicles until they ran out. Some of these continued well after the registration number system began to include a suffix letter (from 1963 if I recall).