Aire Valley 1970s NG layout

detheridge

Hi Robert,
congratulations on being the new 'carer/owner' of the AVR. For stock, I don't know if you realised that Derek got the drawings of all his stock scanned and posted on the net. Some of the drawings were once available on rmweb, but seem to have been lost in the great computer glitch that meant an awful lot of pics and content were lost. Tom Bell (of teebee models 3D fame had a complete set of drawings available, but his site seems no longer available. If you would like them, send me a PM and I'd be delighted to send them to you. Just about all the original rolling stock used Triang TT chassis and bogies, and Deerek made notes of which bits were used for each coach or wagon. Making replicas therefore shouldn't be that difficult?
Hope this helps,
David.

detheridge

Here are a few pics from the 009 Society collection of AVR stock. You can see the bits that were Triang underframes, although the bogie coach was (I believe) retrofitted with 10.5mm bogies in place of the Triang TT coach ones - obviously if anyone knows more I'd love to know.
David.

Attachments

• Naylor-bogie-coach-1156-scaled.jpeg
    Naylor-bogie-coach-1156-scaled.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Naylor-coach-van-1158.png
    Naylor-coach-van-1158.png
    841.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Naylor-wagons-1169.png
    Naylor-wagons-1169.png
    855.8 KB · Views: 15

D6356

Western Thunderer
Great pictures thank you c-oil hoppers are a must for the layout I guess a 3D print version would be a time saver.
Robert

I've always been a traditionalist where loco liveries are concerned, then one day not too long ago I arrived at Tywyn Wharf station to find Talyllyn wearing lined black BR Mixed-Traffic livery - the best she's ever looked, in my opinion.
Mind you, I also like Douglas in the RAF blue livery, which probably makes me unique and possibly a bit peculiar!

D6356

Western Thunderer
Mike I think most thing look good in BR line black , even LNWR locos !! FfR LYD looked brilliant in it. and I think City of Truro turned a few heads some years back !!
Robert

Malcolm

Oh I am jealous!!!!! A bigger and much more complete layout than was available to me with Craigshire and the Craig and Mertonford. If you go into RMweb and search for Peter Denny's Buckingham you will find photographs of the underside of the layout. If you think you have problems.........

One thing I did as I worked my way through the PDH Collection was to, other than the cleaning and dusting, record everything I did in order that future aficionados can tell what is PD's handiwork and what is mine. Everything from the new frame without which Dundreich would be in two pieces to where I patched the scatter material (using PDH materials!) was logged. That said the volume of my handiwork was small and Dundreich above board is 97%+ PDH. At least I did not have much wiring or point control to worry about as PDH was no electrician!

I do look forward to your progress reports in due course but with a heartfelt plea that you retain as much of Derek's handiwork as possible.

Best of luck.
Malcolm

Last edited:

D6356

Western Thunderer
Malcolm, do not fear I want to keep as much as possible above board as that is what we know, like at a Theatre what is hidden to make it work is for the imagination - reality can be quite scary, but in this case renewable.. My main work ahead of anything is to see if I can insert the later crossing nose and switch rails into a Wrenn/ Gem point with its swing nose. Saltire point work dates from day one. Derek recorded in one article how the shed points were form the 1961 model and this was in 1974! He had soldered on phosphor bronze feelers to help power but everything is very tarnished and wear in tiebars prevents much in the way of running.
Robert

D6356

Western Thunderer
Hi, Well layout now fully packed for its next adventure off to Wales! Took opportunity for more pics given interest shown.
Aire Valley 100523 001.jpg
Looking up the line from Moorhead, branch to Stoney Ridge on right
Aire Valley 100523 008.jpg
Crane for logging, this view not possible before without mirrors! Sort of taken from Withering heights location - as it is missing, the left hand area shows the damage with torn scenery and missing rock..
Aire Valley 100523 013.jpg
The carriage shed and loco shed at SR
Aire Valley 100523 031.jpg
One view not normally possible but showing trees and loose foliage, time has taken its toll.

Robert

D6356

Western Thunderer
Hi for fun four further fancies for flavour.

The Water wheel powered mill building but for a perished rubberband I am sure it would work. The amount of fine weathering is just dust! So plenty of careful conservation required

Aire Valley 100523 002.jpg
Stoney Ridge from board end, looking at some paperwork this might not have run from 1978. Apart from the point control - all mercontrol tube in wire which is seized and the wiring life expired not too much obviously wrong
Aire Valley 100523 024.jpg

On the Moorhead board the sding to the sawmill had the shown point motor, I have brand new to start again and with a modern crossing and switch rail point all workable, track at board end will need renewal and ends soldering to screws. The question is what went over the point motor I can imagine a small ground frame shed on a mini board but pretty certain not in any pictures, open to answers of course.
Aire Valley 100523 005.jpg

This photo only able to be taken in the dismantled state. The road way leads into Stoney Ridge from Withering heights tee junction from the "main road" to Moorhead from Nethertarn. However the road stops just out of picture with nothing left, end frame broken and the buildings, bridge over river missing and track to Nethertarn also lost.
The gates are of the thinest card but do rotate, the capping on the wall is a minor repair compared to the baseboard challenge. The Lichen is I guess a time stamp on the build and luckily still available, but it does look as if it was toned down with paint. While I could use static grass to re detail I am drawn to a reflock with packets I have on hand from my efforts of old - not overly bleached being stored in boxes as this would keep the age stamp.
Aire Valley 100523 007.jpg
That is it for now.
Robert