AdBlocker and RMWeb

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICH60

Western Thunderer
I noticed now that I cannot use RMWeb as it says because I am using an AdBlocker. RMweb has been happy so vary and given me ads what has changed
I use a adblocker for a reason. Sadly it looks like I will missing out on some good content.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
What has changed?
I imagine it is simply a commercial decision - advertisers don't want to pay full rate if they feel a lot of users block their ads so the provider (RMW) is under pressure to ensure conditions are right to maximise advertising revenue, hence banning ad blockers.
Makes you appreciate all that is ad free - like WT, MRJ.......

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I only look at RMweb on my phone, using an AdBlocker Browser - the only way to stay sane & view it for free!!
I got that message yesterday, and accepted the "disable adblocker" option.
I can still access RMweb & have noticed absolutely no difference in performance or any adverts.

With my 'ex-Flying Squad' hat on, can I just remind everyone of this part of the WT "About" section....
We fully recognize that there are other Model Railway forums and have no qualms about mentioning them directly particularly if you have a link to some good modelling. However this is not the place to bring any grievances or politics from those forums, we're here for the modelling not for having a moan about other forums.
So kindly leave any baggage re RMweb at the door when you come in, & remember some of us manage to be happy members on both Forums. ;) :)

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
Nothing specific to do with RMWeb (or any other site for that matter) but I have never really understood the anti Ad Blocker mentality.

I do understand that there are some advertisers who somehow think that only reaching a percentage of the total viewers is a bad thing etc; but surely that is no worse than having a similar number of people who will just not bother to take even a cursory look at the site at all?

It is not that I particularly dislike relevant adverts, some of them are even pretty useful, but if they are irrelevant or overly intrusive I just do not look at those sites anywhere near as much.
There is also the point that those retailers and services who are responsible for the most intrusive of adverts are never going to see a penny off me, simply on principal ;)

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
To provide balance, there is of course the option to pay £12 a year (equates to just £1 a month) and the ads all go. I did that a few weeks ago. Performance and speed have vastly improved with no ads.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer not paying and there being no annoying ads but that's increasingly not the model being followed these days by webthingies.

So, three choices:

Don't use a website with ads
Use the website with ads and put up with them
Pay to use the site with no ads

Everyone will have their preference and everyone will have a price they won't pay. 3.3p per day though was ok in my book.

adrian

Flying Squad
Sorry but no! RMweb have their own business model and funding stream. It's a commercial enterprise on a different scale to WT and I have no interest whatsoever of discussing it's operation here. They need to pay their bills to maintain their service and I presume their subscription service removes or limits the ads but that's not my concern. It's not helped by them settling on a vastly inferior forum software supplier but again not for debate here. [feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss forum software!].

I have a great deal of admiration for Andy York and what he has built, WT is very much a niche corner of the modelling internet and as such private funding and ad free is feasible. If you think you can build a better business model please feel to try, even the nascent 7mm society with a founding group of 12 members feel it necessary to charge £5 a year so it's not as easy at it seems for an online presence.

[thread locked for obvious reasons although happy to receive PMs on the topic]

Status
Not open for further replies.