Video A cab ride like no other - Ferrocarril Central Andino

Neil

Western Thunderer
Here's a lovely thing I stumbled across the other day. It's a cab ride on what must be the most spectacular line in the world. You'll need a couple of hours as it's in four parts. It starts quietly in coastal mist at Chosica but half way through the first reel the spectacle really starts.

My favourite is this second section with a couple of switchbacks.

Part three continues in pretty much the same vein.

The final bit has some problems with wind noise and a wobbly auto-focus at times but captures the inhospitable summit section of the line brilliantly.

All from the comfort of your internet access device. Enjoy.

MoatLane

Western Thunderer
Hi Neil, I've only just seen this post. I'm looking forward to reliving the journey I made in (I think) 1976 whilst in Lima for the Latin American Railways Association conference. I was lucky enough to travel with the then general manager in his private saloon, the venerable 'Paquita' Pullman coach, with meals served by a white-coated steward. Unfortunately there wasn't time for me to ride the entire route or reach the summit; I left the train where it crossed the daily 'downhill' passenger. My photos lost so this will be a real treat. Thank you.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Neil

Thank you so much for posting links to these films for us to see. I have never traveled on trains in Latin America so this is going to be the next best thing. What always amazes me is the fact that the Andes are an active mountain chain yet the permanent way infrastructure is generally in good condition (though not so the lineside buildings!)

It's also interesting to see the road system has been greatly improved over the years though the freight trains still carry the really heavy loads. They may take longer to reach their destination but they carry a lot more.

Paul

Neil

Western Thunderer
As a follow up this month's Continental Modeller has a generous eight pages of prototype photos of the FCCA as an introduction to the FC de Pacasmayo a fictitious layout set in the Andes and drawing much inspiration from the FCCA. The layout itself is to feature next month but it has a web presence on Facebook here.