92 Squadron

midnightmiller

Afternoon Sagaguy

Looks very Dublo , did you short the insulated wheels out and with the plastic body , did you add any extra weight pls ?
I keep thinking of Fighter Command as a nod to my mother's efforts . And doing the Giesel chimney , but am not sure I want to do anything non reversible to a really nice Wrenn example with the giddy amounts of money some folk think they are worth .

sagaguy

Western Thunderer
Afternoon Sagaguy

Looks very Dublo , did you short the insulated wheels out and with the plastic body , did you add any extra weight pls ?
I used my usual method of shorting the insulated wheels,the original p/up wire soldered to a piece of brass shim and screwed the the chassis.the 3 rail collector assembly was fitted on top and secured by the long 6ba screw and a solder tag under the nut.I didn`t add any weight,it worked fine but there`s plenty of room to add some.20201231_153708.jpg

Ray.

sagaguy

Western Thunderer
I`ve 3 railed several wrenn spam cans using Marklin skates,i`ve also 3railed Modern Hornby spamcans using the same skates.This is my Hornby Channel Packet operating on my now defunct layout.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgbd-qn4nW8 same configuration as Aberdeen Commonwealth pictured below.
Wrenn spamcan conversion.jpgAberdeen Commonwealth.jpg
Ray

midnightmiller

Thanks for the tips , when I can escape from other folk's jobs and the G3 layout . I will have a go .
In the mean time the old 3 rail is giving more fun than I have had out of anything else !

Western Thunderer
I suppose I ought to ask the question , is there a place for 50's heritage / 3 rail lunacy , in a respectable place like this ?
I've been here for several years writing about my 3-rail cameo layout. Iain Rice loved Dublo too don't forget.

Tony

Last edited:

sagaguy

Western Thunderer
I suppose I ought to ask the question , is there a place for 50's heritage / 3 rail lunacy , in a respectable place like this ?
Plenty of groups on facebook for Hornby Dublo.Part of the appeal is nostalgia for simpler times and the ease of wiring the layout up.I used the tinplate track base as a common return for all circuits including electric points,only needing two wires to the motor!.

Ray.