6221 Queen Elizabeth and the crazy task of building her train

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Ahh yes, now I remember them. They go one at either side set against the rear of the tender and the smaller one goes on top to support the rear of the coal space.

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
I think that I did it this way, fix the six brackets to the rear face of the tender (T12) and clean up the inside face.
Fix WT1 X2 to the sides(you can use epoxy for this.
Fix WT2 to the bottom rear of the coal hopper, make sure that its flush to the rear edge and not sticking out or T31 will not fit correctly.

ATB

OzzyO.

PS, you could fix WT2 to the inside face of T31 making sure that it is flush to the bottom and sides.

Last edited:

T30rra

I can't work out how the coal plate sits. The black left seems to need folding downwards but not sure and haven't got a clue about the right hand side20220704_003933.jpg

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
This might help

40589381804_0dfd5f8dfd_h.jpg

T30rra

This might help

40589381804_0dfd5f8dfd_h.jpg
Cheers Rob. Looks like rear left tab needs to come up on mine and the right side extension needs to be governed by the infill etch at the back (not done it yet). Did you have to fettle it to get it to fit between the sides?

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Presumably, the outer edges near the back should be bent down to match the top corners of part WT2/turn-in on the side sheets, and as shown in the exploded diagram you posted earlier? It looks like WT2 fits on top of the two WT1 items, up against the front face of the rear bulkhead, T31.
There's a photo of the coal space in one of these tenders in the Wild Swan profile book, page 102, which might help. I would strongly recommend this book and its photo supplement as very good sources of information, if you haven't already got them.
Dave.

Last edited:

T30rra

Presumably, the outer edges near the back should be bent down to match the top corners of part WT2/turn-in on the side sheets, and as shown in the exploded diagram you posted earlier? It looks like WT2 fits on top of the two WT1 items, up against the front face of the rear bulkhead, T31.
There's a photo of the coal space in one of these tenders in the Wild Swan profile book, page 102, which might help. I would strongly recommend this book and its photo supplement as very good sources of information, if you haven't already got them.
Dave.
All sorted now, more or less thank you

T30rra

20220706_003332.jpg
Tonight I put most bits of the coal pusher on, just the "guide rails?" Left to add but I might need to adjust position of the middle casting to fit them. I thought I'd dry fit it into the tender too and after some adjustment, it slides in

T30rra

Oh what a session... the tender Cowell? Fairing? I've no idea what's it called "the streamline bit on the top" has been added tonight and needs a bit of filler bit other than that I went to add the tender support frames...nope. The slots in the running plate are way under etched as has been quiet a bit on this so far. I'm not sure how best to make them wider to receive the parts, piercing saw I guess but what size blade? 20221013_222721.jpg20221013_222730.jpg

T30rra

I sometimes find that the back, blunt, edge of a scalpel blade, or similar, can be used to widen etched slots, especially if it's mainly the cusp that is the problem rather than seriously narrow slots by poor design.
Dave.
Unfortunately it's the later on the running plate. The slots are narrower than the thickness of the etched parts they are to receive. I'll have to have a think.