4mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks Paul. Hand lettering was something I had to do in the days before transfers, but I struggle these days. Mabex do 4mm scale bus transfers, but hardly any in a larger scale.

It wasn't worth buying an aerosol of red car paint, so the red was mixed from cellulose by lightening my carmine red. I have no silver paint either so picking out handles will have to wait.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Rather than silver or aluminium paint I use these Molotow Chrome Paint Pens for creating chromework on vehicles. They are available from here among others https://www.amazon.co.uk/Molotow-Liquid-Chrome-Pump-Marker/dp/B01E7EG3NM

They come in different nib sizes from 1mm upwards.

I use the 1mm version for any chrome trim on vehicles where required - bumpers, headlight and radiator surrounds, door handles, etc.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the tip Dave. I hadn't heard of those pens. I scraped back to metal this morning.
WEB Buses 7A.jpg
The bus was sprayed with Halfords Satin Lacquer and then reassembled when dry...
WEB Buses 7B.jpg
None of the aluminium trim on the Duple body was picked out, as I wanted the vehicle to look secondhand, purchased solely for stage carriage use by Llanfair Road Services. I used to drive for Gold Star Line and have fond memories of the s/h vehicles we got to drive...
WEB Buses 7C.jpg
I wonder how many members remember traveling in the old coaches. Patterned moquette seats, avant-garde glass shades over the interior lights and carpeted ceilings. A lot of sound insulation went into these designs.

Last edited:

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I wonder how many members remember traveling in the old coaches. Patterned moquette seats, avant-garde glass shades over the interior lights and carpeted ceilings. A lot of sound insulation went into these designs.
Aah yes, Larry. The Royal Blue Bristols (I think) we used to go to New Milton in to visit an aunt. They had staggered seats I remember, so that everyone had an easy view out of both sides.

Brian

Gismorail

Western Thunderer
I can remember a coach company Fishers of Whitchurch who used to take our school at Ellesmere to away sports fixtures that had some old coaches with interiors like that but unfortunately I can’t remember the make

King Crab

Western Thunderer
Cumbria Classic Coaches used to run a regular Tuesday service from the Fat Lamb at Ravenstonedale via Kirkby Stephen to Hawes for the weekly market. At the time this was our only scheduled bus service!
Covid seems to have killed it off I'm afraid.
Here is one of the fleet we flagged down at our Outhgill stop in 2019 .
Listening to the gears meshing and fancy clutchwork as it made the steep climb over Ais Gill was always a treat...

Peter

190218.OUTHGILL.6.1.jpg

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
We're going down a rabbit hole here, Larry, so apologies for diverting the thread. Your question about vintage coaches we may have ridden reminded me about the time Kodak, for whom I worked at the time, moved their head office from Kingsway in London to Hemel Hempstead in 1971. Transport was provided from Harrow to Hemel for those of us involved in the transfer and the contract was won by Premier Albanian of Watford. I always went for the old AEC coach - I guess it was probably mid to late 1950s vintage. I've looked for photos on line but regrettably no such luck, so I can't confirm the model. I think the second vehicle was a Duple bodied Bedford - far too modern given the alternative.

Brian

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Brian, no diversion at all, afterall I invited comments to do with the project in hand. Your coach was likely a Regal III. The AEC's had a lovely gearbox wine. I passed my PSV on an AEC from Oxford. It went to preservation when we had done with it.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I imagine that many 1930s coaches and buses were fitted with preselector gearboxes. The whine from them can be pervasive but in the Welsh foothills the gear change must have been a blessing. My recent experience of driving my 1935 Kestrel with Armstrong Whitworth box has been great fun on the roller coaster South Downs roads. Belt down a hill at 40mph while preselecting 3rd and then just as the next uphill begins to take its toll, stamp the “clutch” pedal and an instant down change maintains the momentum. It does get a bit embarrassing when second is also required and an impatient Porsche Boxter is inside the rear view mirror!

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I got a Halfords rattle can of Rover Russett Brown for GWR brown. It's paler than Precision Paints GWR coach brown but it will do for the weathered W.Region building colour. A close match is acrylic Tamiya XF-9 Hull Brown, which I used in a lining pen for the window frame surrounds....
WEB 7mm Station 7A.jpg

The main parts of the building were sprayed with my light red brick colour and my roof grey. The latter will darken at weathering time....
WEB 7mm Station 7B.jpg

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Both buildings look great Larry, but I would paint and weather the station building to match your goods shed, which to my eye is a good match for brickwork along and around the borders. But before going any further I would check how the buildings look under your layouts lighting.

Geoff

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Both buildings look great Larry, but I would paint and weather the station building to match your goods shed, which to my eye is a good match for brickwork along and around the borders. But before going any further I would check how the buildings look under your layouts lighting.
I welcome your feedback and was supposedly editing but somehow deleted the image. The goods shed would get plastered with smoke from locos standing in the station platform. Anyway it is food for thought. I didn't weather the 4mm buildings.

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry, not trying to teach granny to suck eggs, but have you tried using Polyfiller to fill the mortar gaps? The one fill Pollyfilla is great for that type of job because it doesn’t shrink back and you can point a building in minutes..

Now that the staircase and bannister rails are in place I thought I would get on with applying the mortar coat. Rather than applying a coat of diluted paint, my method is to use a synthetic filler and literally spread it into all the gaps with an old credit card of similar. It took me less than 20 minutes to apply the mortar coat and once it hardens off I will make a start on weathering the brickwork.

View attachment 135775

View attachment 135776

View attachment 135777

Cheers,

Martyn.

Just a thought,

Martyn.