4mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks Gismo. Thick glazing was glued to the inside walls almost to the floor to support the window frames...

WEB Llanfair Box 8A.jpgWEB Llanfair box 8B.jpg

The corner windows, filed to be a firm fit, went in first pushed against the glazing and tacked in place top & bottom with the minimum of Loctite...
WEB Llanfair box 8C.jpg

The outer windows were accompanied by a piece of glazing and both pushed into place before being tacked with Loctite...
WEB Llanfair box 8D.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Another model that can go to bed ready for the layout next year...
WEB Llanfair box 10A.jpg

WEB Llanfair Box 10B.jpg

There will be restricted space in front of the box because of its closeness to the platform edge, so the drainpipes are mounted on the end...
WEB Llanfair Box 10C.jpg

According to my computer, this day two years ago (21st Nov) saw me completing the same kit as a LH version ...
WEB Llanfair Box 10D.jpg

paulc

Western Thunderer
Another model that can go to bed ready for the layout next year...
View attachment 174839

View attachment 174840

There will be restricted space in front of the box because of its closeness to the platform edge, so the drainpipes are mounted on the end...
View attachment 174841

According to my computer, this day two years ago (21st Nov) saw me completing the same kit as a LH version ...
View attachment 174842
In what scale Larry ?
That signal box is a ripper , great job mate .

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The stinky bit was done today, that of covering the walls with turps diluted PPC 'Dirty black' and wiping it off again to produce grey mortar. Many house windows were open for ages to get rid the of the smell while the shed dried in the sprayshop....

WEB 7mm Shed 14A.jpg

The two large windows have large pieces of glazing stuck behind them ready to take window frames. The door is also in place awaiting the front section. Bargeboards need renewing after alterations to the office gutter.....
WEB 7mm Shed 14B.jpg

Window frames painted with Halfords white primer and then a light stone surround added.....
WEB 7mm Shed 14C.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Another building just completed for the layout. Livery is GWR. I now think the station buildings at Llanfyllin were too
WEB 7mm Shed 16A.jpg
The window side will not be seen on the layout but it was finished for completeness. The corner brick 'wrappers' were not picked out in cream as it was considered too lavish for a good shed...
WEB 7mm Shed 16B.jpg

This side of the shed will be facing the operator.....
WEB 7mm Shed 16C.jpg

The slates were weathered in exactly the same way as the walls by brushing on turps-diluted PPC 'Dirty Black' and then wiping it off with a tissue...
WEB 7mm Shed 16D.jpg

All last nights indoor images were replaced this morning with outdoor photos to show a more accurate rendition of colours...

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I hope people will learn from my mistake. It is best to glue the bare wood roof onto the building after it is painted and glazed. This way it will not bow and distort when adding slates.

alant

I hope people will learn from my mistake. It is best to glue the bare wood roof onto the building after it is painted and glazed. This way it will not bow and distort when adding slates.
I wonder if glueing card similar thickness to the slates on the inside of the roof would combat warping?

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I wonder if glueing card similar thickness to the slates on the inside of the roof would combat warping?
It might work as a counterbalance. But it is safer to file paint off the surfaces to be glued and attach the two roof panels with PVA while they are perfectly flat.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
If nothing else, you get variety on this thread...:p:p...

I need public transport vehicles for the station forecourt and have purchased some of Corgi 1/50 models for trials. I produced 1/50th scale castings and etchings some 30 years ago in partnership with Ralph Jackson and thought of using the bits to backdate the Corgi coach seen alongside the Oldham Corporation Roe bodied Leyland TD4. The latter would have been ideal for my needs had I not been reluctant to repaint it. This is another in-between job while the sprayshop is rained off...

WEB Buses 1.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The front wings were removed and filed back to resemble the shape of those carried by Leyland PSV vehicles pre-war. I haven got a Leyland bonnet in stock (different grill arrangement) or bonnet top louvers, so i'll pretend the new owner changed the bonnet...

WEB Buses 3.jpg

It is a Tiger TS8 chassis with covers over the front spring shackles. Additionally, the the continuous curved waist body styling was a late 1930's thing, which provided the basis of design for post-war coach bodies. I'll now consider the livery...
WEB Buses 4.jpg

Cab front extended downwards with plastikard strengthened from the back and filed to match the body after removing headlamp...
WEB Buses 5.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Getting there slowly. 1/50th or 7mm transfers would have been useful. From postwar AEC luxury coach to a prewar Leyland as running in the mid 1950's.....

WEB buses 6A.jpg

Trying to recreate a secondhand bus with a simple local repaint for stage carriage services. Plonked together for the photo. The cream is Ford Ivory, purchase becasue I aim to use it on the station building eventually...
WEB Buses 6B.jpg

Last edited:

paulc

Western Thunderer
Getting there slowly. 1/50th or 7mm transfers would have been useful. From postwar AEC luxury coach to a prewar Leyland as running in the mid 1950's.....

View attachment 175156

Trying to recreate a secondhand bus with a simple local repaint for stage carriage services. Plonked together for the photo...
View attachment 175154
Hi Larry , the bus is great but please tell me you printed off Llanfair T N . If you hand painted it then i will have to take up tiddlywinks or someting . Oh no , i just noticed Llanfair road down the bottom .
Golf anybody ????