4mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Martyn, The deeply cut grooves used to concern me seeing as I was so used to building with embossed brick plastikard. But I learned to deal with them. That said, I rarely use white mortar now, preferring to use PPC 'dirty black' for mortar and weathering.

adrian

Flying Squad
Hi Martyn, The deeply cut grooves used to concern me seeing as I was so used to building with embossed brick plastikard. But I learned to deal with them. That said, I rarely use white mortar now, preferring to use PPC 'dirty black' for mortar and weathering.
I seem to remember one of the scenic suppliers producing a "mortar filler" - after a little googling

although I suspect a suitable dirty weathering wash mixed with a concrete weathering powder might produce a dirty mortar filler.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
When painting building, I tend to treat them in much the same way as I did locomotives in that if something is barely visible from a few feet away, then make sure it doesn't overwhelm. White mortar can be garish and grey mortar barely worth the effort. Our cameras pick up detail, but I no longer look at thing from 3 inches away at my age...:p

The station building has just been weathered all over so it is in the sprayshop drying while I get the stink of turps out of the house. No kits left to build so I need to stock up again before Christmas...

michael mott

Western Thunderer
When painting building, I tend to treat them in much the same way as I did locomotives in that if something is barely visible from a few feet away, then make sure it doesn't overwhelm. White mortar can be garish and grey mortar barely worth the effort. Our cameras pick up detail, but I no longer look at thing from 3 inches away at my age...:p

The station building has just been weathered all over so it is in the sprayshop drying while I get the stink of turps out of the house. No kits left to build so I need to stock up again before Christmas...
I am often thinking along the same lines regarding the visual intensity of my own work, and it reminds me of the same issues involved in painting landscapes. A botanical illustration shows the intricate details of a plant, whereas a group of plants and trees in a garden are more likely to be impressions of the plants our minds perceive the details. We rarely look at art from 3 inches either. As much as I admire the incredible fidelity to the originals that are often depicted by the talented model makers here, I also am inspired by the sense of place depicted in many layouts that are spare with detail.

Michael

simond

Western Thunderer
Two coach lengths…

I reckon that’s about the right distance to look at stuff from. particularly details and people.

I’ve taken to building 70 footers, the GW didn’t do them longer than that…

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Weathered same as the goods shed now. The grey used for lead flashing dried glossy despite loads of stirring of the 'putty' in the bottom. Had I mistakenly bought gloss paint? No, its satin. I very rarely buy Humbrol and for good reason!

WEB 7mm Station 9A.jpg

Guttering and drainpipes painted. and model matt varnished ready for glazing and window frames...
WEB 7mm Station 9B.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Now that is a cracking building Larry. Good to have 'found' you 'over here'. I have missed your Coach excellence.
Phil
Thanks Phil, and welcome. I used to bang on a bit about coaches ha ha. I've got a GWR K42 parcels to build in 0 gauge if I can find a kit.

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Doors and windows fitted. The drop sashes carry their own glazing. I also altered the Ivory paintwork to cream, a personal preference because it looked better with the Rover Russet brown.....

WEB 7mm Station 9D.jpg

'Street view'.......
WEB 7mm Station 9F.jpg

Debris on glazing will be blown off in the spray shop. Door frame built around double doors. Rain deflectors yet to be added. Canopy brackets changed from those fitted earlier...
WEB 7mm Station 9G.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Chimney stacks went on last night, a job that demands lots of viewing from all sides to ensure vertical-ness. Beware the glue dries out thereby pulling the wood down and you end up with a cock-eyed stack! Steel rule and something heavy kept this stack in place while the PVA set...

WEB 7mm Station 10A.jpg

The book at the back acted as something truly vertical...
WEB 7mm Station 10B.jpg

A screwdriver was wedged in the chimney hole and a strip of cardboard wedged under the base while the glue set on this beggar.....
WEB 7mm Station 10C.jpg

This stack gave me some problems, as it had to be extended under the gutter after considering the interior and position of staircase....
WEB 7mm Station 10D.jpg
'Lead Flashing' is masking tape.....

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Finished and ready to be stored away, so that's another job out of the way. 7mm scale is such a pleasing scale.....Well at my age haha....
WEB 7mm Station 12A.jpg
I said finished, but the gents urinal is due to be replaced by a separate Gents & Ladies toilet building more commodious than those at Carrog. When the ladies toilets are removed from within the nearer building, the tearoom will be enlarged to a Cafe for postwar tourist traffic...
WEB 7mm Station 12B.jpg

Entrance side of the building. Gluing the tall chimney stack to card slates wasn't strong enough, so they were removed so that I was gluing wood to wood....
WEB 7mm Station 12C.jpg

Detail shot. On the lookout for brass doornobs.....
WEB 7mm Station 12D.jpg

Cast whitemetal chimney pots are from S&D Models....
WEB 7mm Station 12F.jpg

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Those chimney stacks and pots certainly set the building off Larry, such tremendous modelling. I have also been searching for some door knobs and the only ones I have come across are these........https://www.intentio.shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_74&product_id=260

Geoff

Those chimney stacks and pots certainly set the building off Larry, such tremendous modelling. I have also been searching for some door knobs and the only ones I have come across are these........https://www.intentio.shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_74&product_id=260

Geoff
Geoff, have you looked at Brass Pins as Knobs?