4mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
It is times like this that I think back to when I rid my shelves of most of the wagon books that had accumulated over a lifetime. That's it, I thought. Wont be painting anymore wagons.

1½ hours were spent this morning on the darned computer sorting out a hack that my new firewall had highlighted. Of course, being new, it had diligently scanned my PC and found old 'breaches' dating from 2016-19! Of course, I didn't know this before I went through the rigmarole of changing passwords! Then I had to pay £3.50 unpaid postage on something that wont now turn up until next week ~ if they're not on strike!

Getting there very slowly. The etched brake safety loops were a neat touch in this Slaters kit. The parts are a good fit, when I work out what's what and where it goes... Yup, I'm at the brakegear stage....
WEB GWR Cattle 5.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Larry,

I have been thinking about your signal box and sighting, conundrum and a possible solution would be to attach the box to the goods shed, the box at Moretonhampstead was part of the loco shed, so not totally unprototypical.
Thanks Phil, that's a new idea. But I'm thinking that moving the shed back that far would allow the signalman a decent view of the line from a platform-mounted box. Actually, it's what I've done. I decided to do the necessary and move the whole station and track set-up closer to the front of the baseboard to leave space at the back for a decent road into the goods yard.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The cattle truck was sprayed with Halfords Red Oxide Plastic Primer and 2 hours later with my glossy cellulose red oxide. Gloss is used even on wagons because it is better for 'Methfix' and waterslide transfers...

WEB GWR Cattle 8A.jpg

Trying to mask vehicles such as this is an impossible task and so I over-mask with the aim of brush-painting the solebars and buffer plank afterwards.....
WEB GWR Cattle 8B.jpg

After the underframe was sprayed Halfords Matt Black, it was lightly over-sprayed with my weathering colour. As it happens the overspray has saved me hand painting the solebars....
WEB GWR Cattle 8C.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Finished a cattle truck for Llanfair Road 7mm. Transfers were 'Methfix' and Cambridge Custom. I'll stick with the latter from now on. Halfords Satin and Matt lacquers, plus diluted dirty black and powders for weathering. The eagle-eyed will note I fitted tiebars....
WEB GWR Cattle 10A.jpg
Yes I know, paint those ruddy couplings. They should be screw but I ain't got any. I like this Slaters wagon......Couldn't have asked for better....
WEB GWR Cattle 10B.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Next in line is an early LMS goods van. I did not follow the instructions concerning the vertical bodyside stanchions that project below the floor. Instead, they were carefully cut off and shaped them before gluing them back under the bodyside....

Removed where the purple rectangles are....
WEB LMS Van 1C.jpg
Each side was cut back with a sharp knife... Showing before & after....
WEB LMS Van 1.jpg
Then the corners were rounded off....
WEB LMS Van 1B.jpg
Refitted below bodysides...
WEB LMS Van 1D.jpg
Van so far......
WEB LMS Van 1E.jpg

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
Finished a cattle truck for Llanfair Road 7mm. Transfers were 'Methfix' and Cambridge Custom. I'll stick with the latter from now on. Halfords Satin and Matt lacquers, plus diluted dirty black and powders for weathering. The eagle-eyed will note I fitted tiebars....
View attachment 174325
Yes I know, paint those ruddy couplings. They should be screw but I ain't got any. I like this Slaters wagon......Couldn't have asked for better....
View attachment 174326
Yes, as the chassis has a compensated unit (one axle fixed the other rocks) fitting the tiebars imparts a springing effect and makes for improved running.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The LMS goods van is in the paintshop, but before finishing construction, I removed the pips on the sliding doors and drilled out for wire handles...

WEB LMS van 2A.jpgWEB LMS Van 2B.jpg

WEB LMS Van 2C.jpg
Meantime, lost-wax brass castings arrived from CPL Products and so the 'T' door handles were fitted along with brass wire handles. Another item destined for winter hibernation until a layout is built...
WEB LNER Horsebox.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I'm afraid things have gone a bit higgledy-piggledy with rain preventing the LMS goods van from being sprayed.

The laser cut signal box from Rail Model arrived yesterday so I started on that. The kit will build a model of the box at Llansantfriad and so I have had to reverse the ends to put the steps at the RH end. Fortunately, the parts include interior walls and seeing as they were the reverse of the external walls, I simply used them on the outside of the box...Clever bugger!

WEB Llanfair Box 4.jpg

The external walls were used as internal walls to strengthen things....
WEB Llanfair Box 5.jpg

The back external back wall had to be altered so that the chimney stack was at the RH end....
WEB Llanfair box 2.jpg

The entrance door now has a locking room door below it using parts from a Peco signalbox...
WEB Llanfair box 3.jpg

Last edited:

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
I enjoyed my Rail Model experience, Larry, even though I also did a lot of chopping and changing as you are. And I didn't need the two outside ladders, the entry to the box being at ground level with stairs inside. The choice of which box to buy is almost always going to be a compromise.

Paul

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I enjoyed my Rail Model experience, Larry, even though I also did a lot of chopping and changing as you are. And I didn't need the two outside ladders, the entry to the box being at ground level with stairs inside. The choice of which box to buy is almost always going to be a compromise.
Llansantfriad box is similar in many respects to the one further down the branch at Llanfyllin, so it was a no-brainer especially at the price. I find altering things very satisfying. I painted the black patches on with cellulose paint so that the HMRS 'Methfix' BR transfers would adhere...
WEB LMS Van 2D.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Signalbox built now, although some parts will not be fitted until after painting. The roof trusses were glued in place then when set, were cut away except for the stumps showing on the outside of the building. A Peco plastic roof from a scrap signalbox was cut to size ....
WEB Llanfair Box 6A.jpg
WEB Llanfair box 6B.jpg
WEB Llanfair box 6C.jpg
WEB Llanfair Box 6E.jpg
The box looks almost 4mm scale...
WEB Llanfair Box 6F.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
In a spare moment, a shed door was knocked up from 80 thou Plastikard and old plastic sprue to make the runners/wheels...

WEB Shed door 3.jpg

'Plastruct' 'U' section was cut along its length to make 'L' section for the top of the running rail and glued to the horizontal beam...

WEB Shed door 2.jpg

Only just spotted that I put the horizontal strap on the rail instead of the door..... Old age or bloody stupidity....

Last edited: