1997 Scaleseven Group signalling booklet?

ianlbsc

Western Thunderer
Hi
In Bob Essery's book on operations, there is mention of a Scale Seven Group book on signalling from 1997. Has anyone got a copy I can see please?
Cheers Ian more recent than 1997 and cant find on website

daifly

Western Thunderer
Hi
In Bob Essery's book on operations, there is mention of a Scale Seven Group book on signalling from 1997. Has anyone got a copy I can see please?
Cheers Ian more recent than 1997 and cant find on website
Hi Ian
Bob has produced at least 5 books on operations. Can you be more specific as to which one mentions it please?
I maintain the S7 website and know that there is no such text there. I have a copy of a Guild publication on signals but that dates from 1980. The GWSG also published a reference work on GW signalling.
Have you tried contacting Bob directly?
If any S7 member has a copy, I'll get it scanned and posted to the website.
Dave

victorianman

Western Thunderer
I don't recall the S7Group producing such a book. In the early years, there was a book about track; doubtless book on signalling in general would be a vast undertaking. OPC and others have published books for some group and pre-group companies, so a visit to to Abebooks or suchlike might be worth it. There is also 'Signalling in the Age of Steam', published by Ian Allan which is very useful.

ianlbsc

Western Thunderer
I'm sorry, I was quoting from another who said that this was in the index of 'Railway Signalling and Track Plans by Bob Essery(Pub Ian Allan).
The actual quote reads, in the Preface, "assistance received from Richard Chown , who has allowed me to quote from his informative paper 'The Board of Trade Requirements', published by the Scaleseven Group in 1997, which provided me with the idea behind the theme of this book."
So, we now have the correct title and an author. Anyone with further info please?
Thanks Ian

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I think Richard Chown's work was published as a part work in the S7 newsletter. Every issue is available as a PDF, but for the life of me I couldn’t tell you which issues it was in.

ianlbsc

Western Thunderer
Thanks Heather, I'll plough through them then! I looked everywhere else on the website and found some bits I'd missed before but didn't think about the Newsletter, so that is next! Cheers Ian

daifly

Western Thunderer
Hi Ian

I've done it for you. There were a number of supplements published and distributed with the Newsletter in the early years. The 2-part article on the BoT Blue Book was distributed with the May and November NL (NL 29 & 30) in 1997. Unfortunately, copies of these were not supplied when the Newsletter Archive was created. I shall add them if I can lay my hands on these and other supplements. Here's the announcement in the May 97 issue.
Dave
upload_2020-11-9_11-33-42.png

ianlbsc

Western Thunderer
Well many thanks indeed! I have also found that nL30 is corrupted when downloading so if anyone has a good copy they could send to me direct please at ianmaccormacathotmaildotcom that would be very useful. Many thanks Ian

daifly

Western Thunderer
Well many thanks indeed! I have also found that nL30 is corrupted when downloading so if anyone has a good copy they could send to me direct please at ianmaccormacathotmaildotcom that would be very useful. Many thanks Ian
Hi Ian
Thanks for flagging that. I'll fix it and send you a copy shortly.
Dave

S7BcSR

Western Thunderer
Ian, Dave

I think I have a copy of the Richard Chown articles in my files. I will have a look tomorrow and update .

Rob