7mm Yorky D's LT - The Brill Collection....

Western Thunderer
Interesting because it appears to be printed in the Johnston typeface, the commas and full stops next to RH Selbie appear to be the diamond shaped Johnston ones as opposed to the round ones of Gill Sans, which wasn't designed until 1928 anyway!

As the Met was independent of the Underground group at this time, why did the UERL allow this, even today LT/TfL consider infringement to be a serious matter. I met TfL's brand protection manager a few years back and we discussed this.

Tony

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
It may well have been different when the poster was printed - probably plagiarism as the Met and UERL group didn't see eye to eye.

I had a closer inspection and the R.H. Selbie full stops are square. The i's are dotted round as are the full stops within the text.

Of course Frank Pick was the UERL manager who commissioned the Johnston typeface in 1913.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Unlike Ade's 4mm Dogfish my 7mm Heljan one has been filleted....i.e. a section cut out and the body turned around to try and make it resemble one of the Gloucester built LT hopper ballast wagons.

I had carried out this operation in 4mm scale many moons ago by slicing a section out of the lower body.

LT Hop Dogfish cuts.jpg

LT Hop Dogfish & LT hopper.jpg

Now onto 7mm

Before..
LT Hop 00.jpg

After dismantling, cutting, reassembling, making and repositioning new body side strengtheners.
LT Hop 01.jpg

LT Hop 02.jpg

.....and there's plenty to do, LT Ward couplers below the coupling hook, handrails, reinstall the chute operating wheels, hinges for the buffers, etc, etc - and I do have the decals :).

Wootton Tramway

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
More recently I've been messing around building a small photographic 7mm diorama using some scrap wood and Peco Setrack.

I've based it on an imaginary branch serving Middle Farm (off the Kingswood Wharf branch) of the Duke of Buckingham's Wootton Tramway (Brill Branch) which has been upgraded to take steam locomotives. The original Kingswood Wharf branch retained it's longitudinal sleepered track as the wagons were horse drawn until this branch was truncated by the Met at Church Farm.

The overal dimensions are 1335 x 404 mm and only the base scenery has been applied thus far. The building is a place holder until I construct one from wood.
The sidings hold two wagons and the switch lead (headshunt) holds a loco and two wagons so there's enough to play about with.

Brill 101.jpg
Brill 102.jpg
Brill 103.jpg
Brill 104.jpg
Brill 105.jpg
Brill 106.jpg

A section of the OS map marked with the perceived route (blue). The red line is the Wootton Tramway Kingswood Wharf branch with the Church Siding Junction at the bottom.
Middle Farm.jpg

Having recently acquired the Minerva Manning Wardle 0-6-0 my intention is to modify this to represent BRILL No 1 as used by the Met prior to the introduction of the classic A Class 4-4-0 tank engines.

There is a bit of work to do as highlighted on the two photos shown here for illustration. More alterations will be required as I progress. I have managed to locate about half a dozen relatively good photos from various sources.

Some of the alterations are: Wider cab; re-siting of the sand boxes; new brakes to replace the wooden ones represented; new steps; additional piepwork; smokebox door dart; lamp iron; etc, etc.
BRILL No1 Brill 04 alterations 2.jpg
BRILL No1 Quainton Road 01 alterations 1.jpg

Wootton Tramway

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I've made a start witha new cab for Brill No 1. Looking at the photos a new shorter safety valve will be added to the list of replacement parts.

A new cab was made up from scrap brass using the photos as a guide. The prominent bolts/rivets will be applied using Archer decals when priming takes place.

Cab as supplied:0001.jpg

Brill No 1 cab made up from scrap brass
0002.jpg

The two cabs0003.jpg

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
A bit of interior design....

Firstly I made up some windows from styrene. They are correct as the originals were sliding rather than sash windows. The green on the lower panels Vallejo Chrome Green as the undercoat with Russian Green on top (after masking areas with Copydex to simulate worn paint).
Bldg 06.jpg

Ticket office counter. Made up from wood and painted with Vallejo Mahogany.
Bldg 07.jpg

And on t'other side the booking hall counter window. I have no idea of the interior (or exterior for that matter) colour schemes and went for Vallejo Buff and US Army Tank Corps green - the latter looks like a lighter variant of the green UERL/LT used inside their stock.
Bldg 08.jpg

Yes the door is hinged.....
Bldg 09.jpg

The fire place and chimney built from styrene. This will receive some Slaters stretcher bond brick sheet (when it arrives) as the hand scribed courses do not match the rear wall :rant:doh! Behind the wall will be the ladies and gents toilets.
Bldg 10.jpg

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Made these up today from styrene.

Posters 1.jpg

The poster quad size boards are 16 x 29 mm and the double quad royal boards are 30 x 29 mm. The posters and METROPOLITAN RAILWAY header were downloaded from t'interweb, resized and printed on photopaper. The GREAT CENTRAL RAILWAY and METROPOLITAN & GREAT CENTRAL RLYS header were made up on the computer. They were stuck to the boards with canopy glue.

These four will be mounted on the Brill Branch station building - dated around 1910.

Posters 3.jpg

And these are spare - however they date from 1925 onwards.

Posters 4.jpg

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I wasn't happy with the finish on the foundations as they should really be brick so I sanded down them down..... then proceeded to scribe some brickwork albeit roughly in the foundations.

They were painted a brick colour and when dry I applied some Copydex to mask certain areas. This was followed by a layer of Vallejo Sandy Paste. Again, after drying I rubbed away the areas I masked earlier to reveal the brick work under the rendering.

A wash of MIG concrete paste (MIG weathering powder mixed with water) was applied and once dry I wiped this off leaving the mortar in the exposed bricks and a dusty layer on the rendering.
Bldg 13.jpg

I also gave it a tin roof, made up from South Eastern Finecast vacuum formed sheets I had for years - although for 4mm scale I think it works. The zinc/lead ridge strip was made up from half moon section styrene and a spectacle lens cleaning cloth. The roof is removable as I will be installing interior lighting.
Bldg 12.jpg

Bldg 14.jpg

This gives an idea what it will look like in it's setting.
Bldg 15.jpg

Just waiting for materials to finish the guttering, fireplace and chimney.

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
You are an artist Sir!

Thanks Alan.

I'm generally the sort of artist with one of these in my hands :)....

images

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Several washes applied to the siege engine water tower to try and achieve the weathered creosoted wood appearance.

WT 03.jpg

WT 04.jpg
WT 05.jpg

Now requires the water feed, pipe, overflow pipes, inspection ladder (which I presume must exist but out of sight on the known photographs of the water tower I've seen), outlet pipe and bag and the door ironmongery.