Yorky D's Küchentisch - North Eastern - The Milky Bars are no longer......

V100
  • Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
    Another loco was recently acquired - a Roco DBAG Br 212 (ex V100) in Orientrot livery.

006.jpg

V100 03.jpg

It has already received some weathering using AK Interactive and Vallejo acrylic paint, Tamiya weathering powders and oil washes. I also attempted to fade some of the larger panels by rubbing in white Tamiya weathering powder which is subtle but noticeable.

005.jpg

While the loco was on the bench I added the Wendezug (push/pull) connections to the buffer beams andreplaced the flimsy end handrail stanchions with 0.45mm brass wire. The hand knobs at the top were formed with a drop of canopy glue.

Rust was dabbed along the sill to represent wear and tear.

007.jpg

One thing I'm toying with is removing the NEM coupler box from the bogies and mounting the coupler on the chassis which means I can install the four air hoses and steam heat hose on both ends.

002 V100 1.jpg

HO layout
  • Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
    Recently I've been messing around building a new small inglenook style shunting layout (which will double up as test track) on recycled baseboards.

It measures 1.7 x 0.27m overall (5' 7'' x 10'' in Librae, solidi & denarii) and uses up some Fleischmann HO Profi Flexgleis and points I've had kicking around for a while.

001.jpg

The bulk of the messy work has been done, roads, inset track, platform and first layer of ballasting around the track. More work will be done in these areas as it progresses. The road and platform surface are made from AK Interactive Terrain Asphalt paste.

003.jpg

The idea is to have an Olef (Eifel) style street (acting as the headshunt) opening out into a truncated station and yard.

004.jpg008.jpg

Just the rest to do...:)

DB Br 290 (V90)
  • Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
    No sooner had I acquired this Roco HO DB Br 290 (V90) earlier this week.....

Neu 1.jpg

It didn't last long in it's current state :) ...........

Some work was done around the both ends to make the base of the light boxes more prototypical at the base and the hand rails and stanchions were replaced with 0.45mm brass wire.

V90 04.jpg

One of the modified ends painted.

V90 06.jpg

Off came the moulded cab handrails and replaced with brass 0.45mm wire. The moulding windscreen wipers were carved off the glazing, remaining marks polished out and replaced with etched brass windscreen wipers.

V90 05.jpg

The DB Keks was replaced with DBAG...... and of course weathered.

V90 02.jpg

However I'm toying with replacing the head and tail lights with SML (surface mounted LEDs) which allows me to remove the chunky light guides behind the buffer beams. And replace the wheels to remove the traction tyres.

DB Br 290 (V90)
  • Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
    A bit more work today.

Soldered up some new cab steps from 1mm brass angle, 0.45mm brass wire for the locating pegs and scrap etch for the steps. These replace the chunky Roco steps clipped to the bogies. Roco on the left and my replacement on the right. One has already fitted.

V90 07.jpg

Locating holes were drilled into the chassis. Here is the loco on a Fleischmann Profi gleis 647mm radius curve.

V90 08.jpg

And on a Fleischmann Profi gleis point. Just need to fill the original step loating holes in the bogie sandboxes.

V90 09.jpg

While I was looking for other photographs I came across these in my collection. I was in Germany during the late 1990s visiting Nürnberg RBf (Rangierbahnhof).

This one had just pushed a van over the hump.

Nürnberg 01.jpg

And this one was parked up at the Ringlokschuppen - which provided me with cab step details.

Nürnberg.jpg

Nürnberg 05.jpg

Nürnberg 04.jpg

And another had arrived shunting a short train over the turntable.

Nürnberg 03.jpg

Bahnhof Verwandlung (Metamorphosis)
  • Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
    The Württembergische station building was a bit too dominant for the layout so last week I built a waiting shelter based on Dalheim.

It's made from card rendered with Vallejo sandy paste and the roof is 5mm dense foamboard. All painted and weathered with acrylic washes.

106.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

107.jpg

And no - it won't turn into an insect :).

DB Br 290 (V90)
  • Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
    One of the things I've been messing about with is the head and tail lights on the Br 290 (V90).

Firstly they were removed hollowed out and new surrounds made up from 2.4mm copper tube to make them look more in keeping with the prototype.

V90 16.jpg

V90 17.jpg

Two new L shaped circuit boards were made up and SMRs (Surface Mount Resistor) soldered on.

V90 11.jpg

2mm lenses available as spare parts from Roco (for the Br 212 (V100)) were filed down on the reverse side, polished and inserted in the modified light housings. They are held in with canopy glue and three are shown here.

V90 18.jpg

Red and white nano LEDS were stuck to thin strips of card so they can be inserted into the light housings.

V90 14.jpg

Once inserted and the glue set they were mounted onto the footstep moulding (apologies for the quality of the next three photos as they were taken in low light)

V90 19.jpg

While the footstep mouldings were off the chassis I drilled some holes in the lower part of the light housing to enable the wiring to be routed behind the buffer beam out of view.

V90 20.jpg

And the wiring hidden from view.

V90 21.jpg

And under test using the LED test function on my multimeter. Front....

V90 23.jpg

.... and rear

V90 22.jpg

Now to crack on with the speaker, decoder and stay-alive installation....:rolleyes:

Br 89.70
  • Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
    Despite several attempts using the search facility at the top right of the webpage, I cannot find the images or indeed any reference to the rebuild of a Fleischmann T3 0-6-0t BR89 with a coreless motor.

I am waiting the arrival of a cheapo example for rebuilding and ‘chipping’, if I can relocate the images of your T3, I might even upgrade the motor.

Hi Tim

Here are the photos of the re-motored Fleischmann Br89. It was a 'I wonder if' experiment which worked.

The motor is a coreless 1015 which I mounted in a 10mm ID tube. The ensemble is held in place with Blu-Tac on the original motor mount I made up when I re-motored the loco for the first time with a small Mashima motor.

DSCF4891.jpg

DSCF4892.jpg

DSCF4893.jpg

And is hidden from normal viewing angles.

DSCF4894.jpg

NER ES1
  • Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
    And now for something completely different. Another electric loco....how boringly uncool, yawn, yawn, I hear you say ;)

Having acquired this kit a year ago and with my modelling mojo slowing returning :eek: after a heart op 15 months ago, I started faffing around wielding a hot stick :).

NER 01.jpg

The kit is a bit basic and is a scaled up version of the 4mm version with some panels being suitable for a battleship. The instructions are text (no pictures or drawings showing how parts go together) and relies on a degree of kitbuilding experience.

Firstly by building the truck inner frames, which already shows the bearings I'm using - 1/8'' roller/ball race bearings.

NER 02.jpg

The instructions tell you to mount the frame stretcher to the inner frame and then solder the outer frames once you have inserted the wheels, gears etc. Something I'm not in favour of as it makes painting difficult. As can be seen in the photo above I made up some end stretchers from square brass tube for the inner frames.

NER 03.jpg

The outer frames were made up and are mounted to the inner frames by M1.4 screws.

NER 03a.jpg

This shows the some of the components for the drive trucks. SDMP/Finney 7 gearboxes, Slaters wagon wheels (alas not the chocolate variety) and the Roxey universal joint drive shaft. Brass tube was used to sleeve from 1/8'' to 3/16'' for the gearboxes.

NER 04.jpg

Before the one shot assembly the inner trucks were given a blast of etch primer. However, in a worst case scenario I can disassemble the trucks as the bearings are only an interference fit.

NER 05.jpg

NER 07.jpg

In between all of this I did make up the sill/underframe which also had a few modifications. I wanted a central motor drive - ideally all axle - but I settled for driving the two outer axles. As a result the motor does protrude above an below the sill and I lose some daylight underneath - one of the compromises I settled for.

The next sequence shows how the trucks appear in the sill/underframe and the scratchbuilt motor mount.

NER 06.jpg

NER 08.jpg

NER 10.jpg

And sitting on a Peco Setrack curve.

NER 09.jpg

And it does work under power, naturally........:rolleyes:

Last edited:
    NER ES1 New
  • Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
    Further developments...

The 6 panels (2, cab ends, 2 sides and 2 bonnet/hood covers) were made up. The laminates were soldered using a blowtorch and the bonnet/hood covers were formed after annealing the half etch lines. This still resulted in a slightly multi faceted curve which I gently removed with a file. All the external details such as the handrails, vents and sand box covers were added before assembling the body.

NER 11.jpg

Before adding the sand box covers on the bonnet/hood covers I drilled out a hole to aid soldering. In addition I also drilled out the coupling socket on the internal bufferbeam to take a couplung spring.

NER 14.jpg

Of the additional external buffer beam detail the electric socket is a casting from Precision Scale I had in my 1/48 US parts.

NER 12.jpg

The pantograph.... The lower arm etches have teeth which if built up as non-functional are fine as they do not engage.

NER 16.jpg

However as I made mine functional I squeezed the two supports (blue) together to make the teeth (red) engage. This has greatly increased the stability of the structure and reduced the fore and aft motion of the pantograph so the head remains level whilst touching the contact wire thereby allowing for variations in the contact wire height. Later diamond pantographs have a wider base which allows for a link arm to be installed as base level to prevent the fore and aft motion and keep the structure stable.

NER 18.jpg

While I was tinkering with the pantograph I also added two catches (one on each side) so it can be locked down.

NER 15.jpg

NER 17.jpg

On the prototype the pantograph is raised manually by an insulated rod fixed centrally to the pantograph head and through the cab roof. It's absence is a compromise I've made (thus far) as I have made the pantograph removable with a central screw.

NER ES1 New
  • Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
    The last few days have seen the brake gear added to the trucks/bogies..

.....and some details not provided for in the kit.

Sand pipes made up from 0.8mm brass wire fixed to the truck/bogie ends - one pair on the outer end of each truck/bogie.

NER 20.jpg

The truck/bogie swing limiting chains (and I've just spotted EMD :) on the electrical connection socket!).

NER 19.jpg

The one end of the chains are fixed to the truck frame via a bar. For the other ends I made up some small mounts from scrap etches and nickel silver wire to enable the chain to be fixed to the sill/chassis with a M1.4 screw.

NER 21.jpg

NER 22.jpg

NER ES1 New
  • Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
    A few hours at the workbench today but not much to show...

The white lumps purport to be some of the underframe casting, together with the two white buttons/dots being the headlights ..... :eek:

..... so I made up some better looking versions and more to scale from pieces of brass wire, tube and scrap brass etch..... The wires are deliberately long and will be bent and trimmed when the parts are fitted to the underframe.

NER 23.jpg

It'd been better if this was included in the kit instead.... :)

Milky Bar.jpg
    Just need to look at some of the other milky bar pieces in the kit....