7mm Wagons For Westerfield

S

SteveO

Good find Mick, thanks.

The 31 looks like a real brute from this angle. These and the 24s are ugly but loveable workhorses, both my joint second favourite locos. Super!

S

SteveO

I had an unexpected soldering session in the loft last night as The Keeper of The Keys wanted me to solder a broken lamp shade. I thought I may as well make use of the time and reattached a couple fallen off items from when I attached it with the fibreglass brush, and to build up the rocking axleguard assemblies.

IMG_2276.JPG

I only have a tiny workbench up there (which was FREEZING!) so it looks a bit cramped when in full flow. I also prepped some parts for the non-rocking side too. I'm a bit of a novice at this, but there's about 8mm of rocking motion left and right – that seems way too much overkill to me, unless I bought the Paris-Dakar version of the kit by mistake?

adrian

Flying Squad
I'm a bit of a novice at this, but there's about 8mm of rocking motion left and right – that seems way too much overkill to me, unless I bought the Paris-Dakar version of the kit by mistake?
That does sound a little excessive, although you may find the movement is restricted when they are fitted in the under frame.

S

SteveO

That does sound a little excessive, although you may find the movement is restricted when they are fitted in the under frame.

Both sets of irons are in and, as you can see from this grotesquely cruel close-up, there is quite a bit of movement. There is at least 4mm per side, possibly 5mm but I couldn't lay my hands on a rule in time.

IMG_2280.jpg
(I will get around to straightening up that corner washer plate one day...)

S

SteveO

Frigging Freezing in the rigging tonight. Corr, it's chilly up there!

IMG_2282.jpg

A simple but perplexing question: once I've soldered in the wheel bearings, how do I get the wheels in? Is it simply a matter of bending the W irons out and then back in again? Seems an odd way of doing things but I can't think any other logical way of doing it.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
A simple but perplexing question: once I've soldered in the wheel bearings, how do I get the wheels in? Is it simply a matter of bending the W irons out and then back in again? Seems an odd way of doing things but I can't think any other logical way of doing it.
If you solder the bearings in first it is nearly impossible to get the axles in. If you bend the w irons out you probably won't get them straight and back to where they were again. Much better to solder the bearings in with the wheels in place, it is easy to adjust the side play then solder. Using red label flux or resin flux makes rinsing less of an issue.

What is the strange shaped hole in the fixed w irons for?

S

SteveO

What is the strange shaped hole in the fixed w irons for?

They are a hangover from the original 4mm kit. The bearings fit OK in the middle of those shapes but if you wanted a fully sprung wagon (alternative axle guards are supplied to replace the rockers) then you simply file away the inside points to provide an elongated hole for the bearings to slide up and down in.

Neat idea but I didn't follow it up.

S

SteveO

Hello mate, the 31 is right at he back of the pile at the moment! The 24s need me to etch some new grills so they are a way off too. The 22 is close to the front but it will probably be my two 17s that are first to see the light of day, unless I get stuck on squeezing in the speakers, then the 22 may rear its ugly head again. Choices, choices!

I'm not even. Ou ting the 30 or so wagon kits I've been collecting!

alcazar

I know what you mean about cold in the workshop. Mine's in the loft too, and despite insulation between the rafters as well as the joists, AND a 2kW fan heater, it takes an age to get warm enough to work up there.

I come down and my nose is always running. Being as how my feet also smell, I have to keep checking I haven't got myself upside down......

S

SteveO

You're lucky you have a heater! I was up there soldering in a big coat, warming my hands on the iron after every session. Brrr...