TFW’s workshop

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
I think there are the scars of the pipe entrance visible on the near side urinal. There are also some witness marks on the wall. Either way the wall above looks very bare and so some nice Edwardian copper plumbing would bring it to life.

Tim

simond

Western Thunderer
Tim

try google images using this “gents urinal philharmonic liverpool“

they’re rather grander, indeed, quite magnificent, and justifiably listed, but I guess of a similar era. There is a cistern, but not much pipework.

hth
Simon

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
After starting the plumbing job, our versatile builder has turned to some road building.

The wedge-shaped front road extension piece has been feathered in to the front, finishing close to the building being demolished. It’s gentle curve acts as a pleasant counter to the curved goods warehouses - not intentional, but nice when that sort of thing happens. Pip can’t work out what all the fuss is about...

The road surface: gutters, pavements and camber, was carved into the block of wood and then the surfacing styrene sheet cobbles cut to fit and glued in place. This extra space should be good for some vehicle and people placement and it also gives a better lead in to the buildings at this end. At least the tube building now looks to be more integral with the scene.

Tim

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
The plumber came back to sort some pipes out. In fact, not so much pipes as shafts.

The copper pipe will house the spiral stair shaft, the middle brass shaft will have a working lift (I have a linear actuator for that and full drawings) and the third is blank (it was only ever used for ventilation): this one will also need to go back 6mm. I may also extend the ground fill around the top of the second shaft as the foundations are not that deep under that part of the building. It’s tempting to paint in the stratigraphic effects in this local area, as we have already opened up the building.

Tim

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
Ernest was very hard working employee for the GNP & BR, but did like an early morning session with the newspaper in the York Road toilets, with the sun streaming through the window. Not sure how he’s going to flush the toilet, though, as someone has knicked the down pipe.

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
After a sojourn in the Post Office, Richard Wilson’s ventilation fan has arrived and been fitted.

This photo, from ‘Hidden London’ (Yale Univ. Press) is almost certainly of the actual fan from the ventilation casing in the very same room at YR.

The original ventilation systems on the Leslie Green tube buildings turned out to be insufficient. The extraction would have come up the spiral stair shaft in a massive pipe, the turned 90 degrees to pass through the fan, then out the top into ducting and up then up the ventilation shaft in the corner of the building. This should all be fairly obvious, when the model is complete, as the vent pipe is at the centre of the spiral stairs (photo from Caledonian Road).

In later days, the redundant lift shaft was used for ventilation, with a massive fan at the top and a large cowl on the roof (fortunately, after our period).

The whole of the underground section is starting to look quite busy now - but what a lot of work! It will be interesting to see the reaction of the public when they eventually see it.

Tim

Tappa

Western Thunderer
I think there are the scars of the pipe entrance visible on the near side urinal. There are also some witness marks on the wall. Either way the wall above looks very bare and so some nice Edwardian copper plumbing would bring it to life.

Tim
Have a look at the gents urinals at Hull pier (usual google search) - they appear to be a similar design and give nice views of the pipe work

Jeff

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
More plumbing now fitted, the cistern and feed pipes for the urinals: hopefully up to spec.

Pans & cisterns for the ladies.

The interior detailing is probably now complete, excepting installing lights in the lift lobby and stairwell.

I suspect that this may be the first time someone has made a visible interior for a 2mm scale building; quite a silly thing to do, really.

Tim

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
The details on the YR ground floor roof have been added over the last few days. I tend to understate down pipes, using pre-coloured florists wire and painting in the pipe supports. It is so easy to end up over-scale with 2mm details. Having said that, I am very pleased with the toothed brick courses on the corner of the building.

The ground floor flat roof had a couple of lantern roofs. These were made by scoring clear plastic with the back of a #15 scalpel blade with the dimensions dictated by the plan underneath.

The lower halves were assembled, keeping the protective film in place to avoid glue marks (frankly, you have to be incredibly parsimonious with the Evostick contact adhesive anyway). The clean notch-shaped grooves made by the scalpel can be seen - they could be filled with paint, but I suspect these might have been a galvanised metal construction, so the natural colour is satisfactory.

The vertical parts of the lantern had flashing strips of black styrene added; black so as not to show up white through the glazing. These were then glued into place and the top roof also glued into place. The final act was to flood the base area with thick matt varnish to seal the flashing to the roof and avoid unsightly gaps. The roof was painted with dried puddles and a significant amount of green weathering.

One thing that was evident and increasingly annoying was a dodgy brick joint in the first floor rear wall. Initially, the down pipe was placed prototypically, but then expedience took over and it was shifted to cover the joint.

The rear view is now nearly complete. There should be a safety handrail at the right hand end, but that can wait until the building is being handled rather less, as it would be quite vulnerable. The protective clear polycarbonate sheet for the sectioned rooms will soon be made and fixed, probably with blackened 12BA countersunk screws.

Tim