Stockholm calling ...

George M

Well, I've been lurking here for about 6 months, but broken cover on a couple of threads, so high time I introduced myself properly.

George Morris is my proper name, but I often go by Drcassiar online for various reasons involving a cat, a mountain range on the Yukon /BC border and a recalcitrant yahoo. I'm an ex-pat Scots/Irishman currently living in Sweden but having worked as a geologist in a few other places before rolling up here.

Railway interests started with family holidays by the NYMR, a fairly conventional Hornby OO set, and my dads Dublo, but soon graduated to the real thing at the old SRPS base at Falkirk Grahamston with side trips working on the Talyllyn and Ffestiniog.

The usual interlude followed with studies, mountains, girls and travel occupying my time, not always in that order and not necessarily mutually exclusive. 15 years later found me in Western Switzerland surrounded by beautiful mountains ... and some quite fascinating railways running up them!

To cut a long story short, and looking for a hands-on distraction from my largely screen based work, when not in the field, I built an Agenoria Quarry Hunslet on the kitchen table. And I was hooked.

Modelling is a relaxing distraction from work and, as such is somewhat eclectic and my focus is akin to taking a cat for a walk. My interests include: British, mainly industrial standard and narrow gauge ( O finescale and O14 narrow) but also a bit of pre-grouping NB and NER; South African 2' gauge in O14; and Swedish narrow gauge 1:45 scale in both 19.8mm gauge representing the Swedish 3' gauge and 12mm gsuge representing the 600mm gauge. Many projects run in parallel, sometimes something get finished! Some examples:

A pair of NBR Drummond carriages scratch built in plastikard on brass frames.

Scratch built 40hp O&K in brass. This one is due a new chassis as the current one is an adapted rtr chassis and is far from satisfactory.

A recently completed feldbahn brigadewagen from a Steam n Stuff kit with a wee Diema based on a Henrik Laurell 3D print and a scratch built RC chass

OK, looks like I'll have to break this message up to get the pictures in. To be continued ...

George M

... continued

The 1:45 scale Diema and a scratch built battery electric based on one that used to work on a peat moss in Sweden. Both recently converted to RC.

N-brass Wickhams trolley built in O14 with RC and working headlight.

12mm gauge Atlas compressed air loco staggering slowly towards completion. Scratch built in brass and RC

Another stalled project. Cape Government Railway C class 'Midget' in O14.

To be continued ...

George M

... continued ...

An Austin Cambridge drassine. Built 1937 for the Stockholm Roslagens Järnväg. Adapted from a whitemetal car kit on scratch built RC chassis.

I retain an active interest in the full size being part of a group that restores and maintains a vintage set on the narrow gauge Roslagsbanan that runs NE from Stockholm

Our 2 teak railcars, both operational. 1918 built No. 33 recently outshopped after major overhaul on the left, and 1935 built No. 35 on the right.

Oh, and I have an occasional hobby job. Pro-qualified deckhand on a 115 yr old tall ship:

T/S Constantia was built in 1908 in Marstal in Denmark. We operate her as a school and charter ship out of Stockholm as well as taking part in various tall ship races around Scandinavia and further afield.

There is even a model. Incomplete. But will eventually form the backdrop to a narrow gauge Swedish pier railway model ... maybe ...

Ok. That'll do for now ,

Best regards from Stockholm, George!

AJC

Western Thunderer
Hello George,

What a wonderful selection of beautiful models (and the teak EMU - gorgeous), thank you and welcome! You've clearly got the memo about pictures, too, excellent stuff. :)

Adam

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Welcome, George.

Great range of interests reflecting your well travelled self.

You'd best get a workbench/layout thread up and running...........

More please.....

Rob.

David Waite

Western Thunderer
Hi George
What wonderful modelling you have done the two scratch built Drummond carriages look superb not to mention all the other models.
David.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Bonkers, absolutely bonkers.

Damn good modelling as well.

You may wish to know, "to cut a long story short" is not necessary here for often the long story has many opportunities for diversions (known as rabbit holes) and we are all good at ecploring.

regards, Graham

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Beautiful models - I love the narrow gauge equipment in particular. My eldest daughter is resident in Sweden and her husband has mentioned the local narrow gauge railways to me from time to time.

Welcome to WT.

Roger

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
HI George
All wonderful stuff but the pic of Maude at Grahamston brought back some memories, we will have some mutual acquaintances, sadly thinner on the ground these days.
Regards
Martin

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Welcome George, definitely got me interested in the Swedish modelling. My brother has lived just across the sea in Denmark for nearly 45 years so I have an interest in that country's railways...wooden EMUs and lovely trams.
Lovely modelling...the yacht looks like it should be sailing into Kobenhavn.
Best wishes
Julian