Solid Brass countersunk woodscrews

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I want to buy 200 of no. 2 x 5/8" (or 3/4") woodscrews (countersunk, flat head) - Google and Amazon prefer to offer everything else bar a kitchen sink. The use is for securing 7mm rails (in C&L / Exactoscale brass chairs) and that dictates the material and the dimensions. I have found a supply in Belfast, a telephone call has established that the company (Ray Grahams) has a small quantity and at a price that seems very high.

Suggestions as to possible suppliers? Ideally a supplier who has stock in hand.

Anyone got some in an old tobacco tin at the back of the garage?

Thank you, Graham

Last edited:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I need Gauge No. 2 screws as anything bigger has a head diameter that is more than the width of C&L / Exactoscale chairs.

A thought... is there something usable in a metric size? Looking at the web-sites of the usual suspects (Wickes, Screwfix, B&Q) it seems to me that a "wood screw" does not have a metric counterpart... and that metric fastenings tend to have pozi-drive heads, I can live with this detail.

Anyone assist here?

Thanks, Graham

Last edited:

Overseer

Western Thunderer
There are a number of suppliers in Australia, try this one who seem to have 3/4" 2g solid brass countersunk woodscrews in stock for about £8 per 100, postage to UK would probably be another £5 to £10 - https://www.thewoodworks.com.au/sho...ad-solid-brass-slotted-head-box-100pcs-detail . Half inch and 3/8" are cheaper per 100.
They also sell small solid brass screws with Phillips heads, others have the Canadian made Robertson square drive screws in solid brass. Zenith brand Phillips solid brass cs screws are readily available in small packs in most hardware shops here, they would do what you need but the brass is quite soft.

AndyB

Western Thunderer
A thought... is there something usable in a metric size? ....

Anyone assist here?

Thanks, Graham

Simon already did:
Graham,

I’ve not used these guys for woodscrews, but they’re good on stainless machine screws. They do stock brass. Worth a look.

Slotted Countersunk Woodscrews DIN 97 2mm in Brass - Westfield Fasteners Ltd

hth
Simon

#2 screws have a shank 3/32" (2.38mm) diameter, so these are a bit smaller but are available in 16mm length (5/8" = 15.875mm).

Andy

Bill Campbell

Western Thunderer
I need Gauge No. 2 screws as anything bigger has a head diameter that is more than the width of C&L / Exactoscale chairs.

A thought... is there something usable in a metric size? Looking at the web-sites of the usual suspects (Wickes, Screwfix, B&Q) it seems to me that a "wood screw" does not have a metric counterpart... and that metric fastenings tend to have pozi-drive heads, I can live with this detail.

Anyone assist here?

Thanks, Graham

Hi Graham

I have used the 3/4" screws for securing rail ends at baseboard joints. After the rail has been soldered to the screw heads the screw heads are cut back to the rail width with a slitting disc so that cosmetic half chairs can be glued in place. Since the screw heads are wider than the rail this allows a little leeway in positioning the screws in the first place before the track is laid across the board join. So the width of the screw head is not critical.

Regards.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Whilst researching the suggestions above I came across a DIN standard for Metric solid brass slotted countersunk screws!!!! DIN97 refers and offers a solution to my quest. We have bought 2mm x 15mm screws from "Model Fixings" which are long enough and with a head diameter which is just under the width of C&L / Exactoscale chairs so we shall be able to pass screws through sleepers into the baseboard top and then secure the chairs to the screw head (either solder or epoxt resin).

simond

Western Thunderer
Glad you’ve sorted it.

As an aside, I’m doing a bit of restoration on my 77 MotoGuzzi (there’s a centenary celebration at the factory in Mandello in September, and I'd to get there!) and I put in an order for a range of replacement stainless fasteners to Westfield on Christmas Day evening. I received an email this morning informing me that my delivery is expected before lunch tomorrow, which is pretty good, I reckon.

usual disclaimers, of course.
Happy Holidays
Simon