4mm Small P4 terminal - BR (S) 1960s

d827 kelly

The below is a bit of a reposting from over on RMweb where I first posted it and edited as appropriate.

Key Points:

• Mid 1960s BR Green/Blue changeover period.
  • Set more towards the Western Section of BR(S).
  • 3rd rail electric EMUs
  • Oil depot, goods shed and house coal loading
  • Possible military connection (see text)
  • DCC (MERG) (PiSPROG maybe)
  • MERG CBUS system
  • P4
  • Designed to be no more than 8ftx1ft6", but with provision for future expansion
  • Planned using templot software - almost finished
  • Lasercut baseboards from Tim Horn

So having gotten a plan in place (well mostly, still tweaking and thinking on it a bit) for the Woolwich layout, I have turned my attention to producing a small layout that I can use for a few learning exercises before using them on the main Woolwich layout. This is the resultant plans.

Initially the plan started out like below, inspired by an issue of BRM which featured Drewry Lane. The plan looked like what I wanted, and with a bit of adapting I came up with the following in Templot:

post-11572-0-69226600-1473195611.png post-11572-0-68105600-1473195607.png

As drawn it was about 1' wide. At the time I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get 1'6" boards from Tim at Scaleforum that was coming up at the time the drawings were first drawn. As can be seen on the plan, it is rather close to the edge, this is why I was considering a 1'6" width was going to be better than 1'. It was a bit too close to the edge at the front though. But it was really a first draft after Natalie drew a sketch.

After a bit of consideration and a little bit of discussion with Natalie a revised plan was drawn as below:

post-11572-0-44824700-1473885646.png post-11572-0-85256600-1473885619.gif

This to me is much better, and as Tim Horn was able to supply 1'6" boards I have 2 3ftx1ft6" boards stashed away now. I am unsure on the points at present, as it is a mix of A5/6 and B6 points, and I'm not sure if A6 (or even A5) points would be too sharp. Most stock will likely be EMUs, but as the period is towards the end of BR steam, there is the possiblity of push-pull fitted locos turning up as well as others potentially (I have a couple of Lord Nelsons, an N, a Q1 kit to build, a Merchant Navy. an M7 and a Schools in terms of steam stock). The Merchant Navy obviously won't feature, but the Q1 and Schools might, the M7 probably too. Other steam locos might be added in time.

That covers the initial planning phases.

Attachments

• post-11572-0-44824700-1473885646.png
    post-11572-0-44824700-1473885646.png
    311.6 KB · Views: 6
  • post-11572-0-85256600-1473885619.gif
    post-11572-0-85256600-1473885619.gif
    67.1 KB · Views: 6
  • post-11572-0-69226600-1473195611.png
    post-11572-0-69226600-1473195611.png
    301 KB · Views: 5
  • post-11572-0-68105600-1473195607.png
    post-11572-0-68105600-1473195607.png
    292.1 KB · Views: 7

d827 kelly

At ExpoEM North I picked up some EMGS P4 turnout plans in place of the EM ones I got when I joined (at the time I was planning on using EM, but Scalefour North this year inspired me to switch to P4). These will hopefully help to allow a more hands on planning soon with Natalie (my co-conspiritor in this endeavour).

The main purpose for doing this layout is to learn about building a layout and building points. That and really as a test track and a test bed for the merg items. The cheapness of the 2bil and 2hal also helped, with a 2HAL picked up recently. It is planned that where possible all stock should be usable on the bigger Woolwich plan, though some (like an m7 for instance) would be rather out of place on the north Kent lines.

Some aspects aren't fixed at present, the nature of the platforms and the goods shed/oil depot etc are all subject to change. One thing I want to try and keep though is ability to change it to a through layout at a later date if a extension was desired, figure it best to allow for it if possible. The second smaller platform is envisaged as being for loading parcels traffic and car/military traffic potentially.

At some point over the next few days hopefully time will be found (Friday to Sunday is out however, due to being at Gaydon, helping operate a layout there) to dig the boards out and lay some templates and track to visualise it other than just in Templot (can't really print the Templot templates out at present due to a printer issue, but hopefully will be able to use other half's laser printer when the plans are finalised).

Natalie, has come up with a suggested area to 'base' it on. I say 'base' as it is not going to be an exact layout as a real area for a number of reasons, but the feel of the area will be the important part I feel. That area is Bordon, which was connected to the Longmoor Military Railway. Obviously the military railway won't be modelled, but military traffic may well feature to some extent being 'off scene' perhaps. The other change will be that it will have 3rd rail, assuming it got electrified at some point during the SR's existance, allowing the use of the recently acquired blue 2HAL, possibly the blue 2EPB I have and a 2HAP (MJT sides acquired at Scaleforum, which will likely be used with some Replica sides). A green 2BIL will probably be added at some point, and probably a blue one too, and a blue 2HAL as well.

Originally I was thinking of using a sector plate, as the 2ft scenic front to the storage area precludes a traverser from being practical. But on discussing the plans at Scaleforum, it was point out a problem I'd overlooked with this. So cassettes will be used I think.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
A neat plan and rationale but would not an 'Area' around Knockholt/Westerham be better suited to your Woolwich plan - keeping it more SECR than LSWR. There is a large military presence at Brastead which could be the excuse for the military traffic, not to mention Biggin Hill.

I am looking forward to see this layout develop. Would there have been a run round loop required for when non pull-push locos/stock were used? Could the entry point to the goods shed be moved closer to the loading dock to allow the crossover to go between that point and the point to the coal staithes, this might give sufficient track for the coaches to be parked for the run round.

cheers

Mike

allegheny1600

Western Thunderer
This looks good fun!
I know nothing about the area in question but it certainly sounds interesting to me.
Good luck with it.
John.

d827 kelly

A neat plan and rationale but would not an 'Area' around Knockholt/Westerham be better suited to your Woolwich plan - keeping it more SECR than LSWR. There is a large military presence at Brastead which could be the excuse for the military traffic, not to mention Biggin Hill.

I am looking forward to see this layout develop. Would there have been a run round loop required for when non pull-push locos/stock were used? Could the entry point to the goods shed be moved closer to the loading dock to allow the crossover to go between that point and the point to the coal staithes, this might give sufficient track for the coaches to be parked for the run round.

cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike. The Woolwich plan is set firmly on SECR metals really. I wanted to add a bit of variety to the modelling so wanted something more towards the LWSR area in contrast, but still keeping the southern feel of it.

As for the run round, it will be provided by the cassettes in effect off scene rather than squeezing an extra couple of points in a tight area.

The plan isn't finalised at this stage, we still need to dig out some templates and track and lay it out on the boards and see how we feel with different formations.

This looks good fun!
I know nothing about the area in question but it certainly sounds interesting to me.
Good luck with it.
John.

Thanks John,

I don't know a great deal about the area for this one, as it is outside of the area I know from growing up in SE London. But that adds to the best part I often find, the research.