Prototype Slough mid 60s

West Junction

Western Thunderer
Hi Dan
here are some of my fathers photos, unfortunately they are not of the highest quality. You mentioned you went into the box several years ago, in the 60's when my father was on duty I just had to drive up, park next to the box and wander in. In those days it was quite different to what you would have seen. Then the vertical train describer at the back of the route setting panel was fully working with the train reporting number following the train. At each end were the results from the hot box detectors with the numbers counting up as each axle passed and only stopping to show the axle on which a hot box was detected. At that time there were three signalmen on duty, the box was bright inside with plenty of daylight coming in. In about 2000 I was in Slough and walked over to where the box was, now it was surrounded by security fencing with cameras etc. I pressed the communication device on the gate, explained who I was and asked if I could visit the box. After a full grilling by an inspector they kindly allowed me in, it was quite different to how I remembered it with a large fish tank, no daylight and a lot of people who seemed very young and unlike the signalmen of my father's generation but as you say very friendly. What surprised me was that they were now providing the station announcements. I believe that the box will be closing when the signalling centre at Didcot opens.
I think this photo was taken in early 60's (somebody might know the year), it is the only one that shows (rather badly) the coaling stage.
Slough0001 - Version 2.jpg
The next photo shows the box and turntable pit and rather surprisingly at this late date a 72xx
Slough0002.jpg
The following are a few general shots
Slough 1964 -0403.jpg

Slough 1964 -0405.jpg

Slough 1964 -0409.jpg Slough 1967 -0437.jpg Slough about 1967 0040.jpg

The turntable was not the normal GWR over girder type but of similar style to the one now at Didcot. All the information you would need is in the Wild Swan Book GWR London Division Engine Sheds by Chris Hawkins & George Reeve.

Peter

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Hi Peter

Thanks very much for posting those pictures - they're excellent! :thumbs: I worked on the P/Way at Slough for a year or so on leaving school (1977) and remember seeing the turntable pit. It had been pretty much back-filled with soil, ballast, grass etc., but you could still make out the engineering bricks around the circumference and I believe, they may subsequently have been removed by the GWS and taken to Didcot.

I also believe several years earlier (but after closure of the shed, about 1964-65), that I was taken down the steps (in the last picture), at the side of Stoke Road Bridge (home of MTK - Modern Traction Kits), by my older brother and in to the coal stage itself, where, through a broken window, I witnessed a maroon Western thundering past on the down main. I seem to recall getting something in my eye as it went past, most likely, coal dust!

Thanks again for posting and fingers crossed that you have some more! :)

Regards

Dan

West Junction

Western Thunderer
Hi Dan

I do have a few more although all very similar. You might also like to look at this thread (sorry about font just copied and pasted it, not sure how to just guide you to it).

Brush type 4 D1583 in trouble at Slough circa 1966/67

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Fantastic pictures. I believe that the Castle is 4079, Pendennis Castle which I myself saw at Southall at about the same time. I'm also amazed to see a 72XX as far away from home as Slough! Despite my regular visits either linesiding or visiting the sheds I never saw a 72XX or 52XX anywhere close.

Brian

steve1

Western Thunderer
Blimey, those bring back some memories. My Dad worked at Slough shed from 1949 to 1959 and I went there hundreds of times when I was nipper.
Also, my uncle was a DMU driver out of Slough.

steve