Slaters SG38CANL Gearbox - Something to be aware of when buying one.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Although I didn't go to Kettering, I did receive a Slaters SG38CANL Gearbox which had been bought at the show for a little job that I was asked to do.

53577512692_43f2524200_h.jpg

53578375186_0d264194df_h.jpg

53578375126_f84a686900_h.jpg

Although I haven't fitted it yet I foresaw no real problems until I was looking at the final drive gear and the grub screw that retains it. This is something that I pay attention to as I have been bitten before and indeed this one is a replacement for one of the former San Cheng gearboxes which required a slot cutting in the axle to allow the grub screw to screw in far enough to clear the intermediate gear above it.

53577512442_b220de41c9_h.jpg

Although this image is much magnified, the grub screw fitted to the gear is tiny and I had no idea what size hex key it needed and no way of measuring it. I decided to give Slaters a ring to ask what size I needed.

I rang and explained my problem and the gent that I spoke to (Martin) immediately said Oh! we should have supplied one, let me have your details and I will get one in the post. He was good to his word and from a call at 1pm on Thursday I had the hex key delivered on Friday lunchtime.

For anyone who find themselves in the same position or loses one, the size is 0.9mm

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Rob,
it's the standard Slater's hex key. Fitted one of these last weekened after Kettering. Shows signs of being a lovely little runner.
Not on this one Simon
I have a number of Standard Slaters Allen keys and they are far too big. I have just measured one with a micrometer and it's 1.48mm across flats as opposed to 0.9mm on the one that I received from Slaters.

53578469666_27a585c44c_h.jpg

This is a comparison between the two - Standard Slaters above new one below

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
Looks like it's the one intended for the 1/8" axles, too. I use the Wera drivers - I find them easier to hold. Here's the statement from Slaters :

"Most of our driving, bogie and tender wheels require an Allen Key to tighten the screw which holds the wheel in place. There are three sizes: most O Gauge wheels require X78001 (1.27mm A/F); most Gauge 1 and Gauge 3 wheels require X98001 (2mm A/F) and some smaller O Gauge wheels (those noted as having 1/8th inch diameter axles) require X78003 (0.89mm A/F). First time buyers will need to acquire one of these Allen Keys."

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Somewhat embarrassingly, I have just opened the slip of paper which was in the back of the Slaters packaging and it does tell you what sized hex key is needed...

Slaters Instructions.jpg

simond

Western Thunderer
The wheel screws are imperial - from memory 50 thou is standard and the bogie wheels and fly cranks are 35 thou

I also purchased the Wera screwdrivers as I was fed up with the standard offering which appeared to be made from Dairylea…

markjj

Western Thunderer
Almost all the information you could ever need on Slaters products are listed on the last page of their current price list on their downloads page of their website.
It even lists things like cut outs for horn blocks and drill sizes for various parts.
It's worth a look if you ever need anything.

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Sorry, but a hex key from Slalter's for the new outside cranks, how is that not a standard?

simond

Western Thunderer
It certainly is. I’m at home so a photo:

image.jpg

the grubby one on the left is 0.050” and fits the standard axle screw (and gets a lot of use, currently)

the clean one on the right is 0.035” and fits the new bogie wheels and flycranks.

as I said, they’re imperial.

atb
Simon

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Sorry, but a hex key from Slalter's for the new outside cranks, how is that not a standard?
Well, never having fitted new outside cranks or encountering any other Slaters hex key than the one for wheel screws and their larger gearboxes. For me "a standard" Slaters hex key is the one for the wheel screws.

This thread has been quite an education for me and I agree that this is indeed a standard Slaters size and I apologise for implying you were wrong.

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Rob,
thank you. Adding 'smaller' might have helped. I have to confess a terrible secret. I read the instruction slip before taking the motor/gearbox out of the packet.

simond

Western Thunderer
I’d note that 35 thou is 0.889mm which suggests that it would fit an 0.9mm hex socket.

The opposite might not be the case, depending on manufacturing tolerances and wear.