7mm Scruft's Junction:- Down the Garden path

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Jordan asked for more and so here is the start of the tale, of our interpretation of Scrufts Junction.... a tale of local rails across the ages with a healthy dose of alternative history (aka Basilica Fields). The history can wait for someone else to put pen to paper - for now I shall give a potted summary of where we are and then a bit on the current piece of work.

As to the title, there have been so many false starts and abandon work that the addition (to just the title of the layout) seemed rather appropriate).

At this time the visible "railway" portion of the model is 15' which is based on the Severn & Wye between Lydney and Whitecroft although the good Fairies of the Forest have twisted geography for us in that Mierystock bridge is now south of Norchard. Those who are familiar with this part of the line will be aware of the gradient between Lydney and Parkend (1:60 is not unusual) and that the Dean Forest Railway Society has built a heritage railway centre at Norchard where there was a colliery in the 19th and early 20th century. The DFRS started with a "low level" station in a yard below the level of the "main line" to Parkend and subsequently built a "high level" station to serve the railway running on the original S&W Rly alignment. This seemed too good an opportunity to ignore and this 21st Century Schizoid arrangement has been used as a basis for our model... with a twist. There is an additional 12' to be added north of the low-level station and this is to be the site of a re-opened Kidwells Colliery. What I cannot explain at the moment is that the management has an additional four baseboards (courtesy of Simon (@Caggers)) - each of 4' x 2' size - and that means that there is spare real estate.

The original colliery at the site was very active circa 1880 and traffic grew significantly so that the young S&W developed the access to the screens and started a passenger service to a platform on the edge of the yard. Minerals flowed and demands for a better passenger service were heard and by this time the local line had been incorporated into a joint company owned by the GWR and the MR. Money was found for a new stati0n which was built on the main line.... and the foundations of this station could well have been used by the DFRS for their new "high-level" station. So was our model born and born without a name. Enter a long standing friend who made one of those casual comments which has such a profound impact on modelling.

Ian Pope has been researching the industrial archeology of the Forest for longer than I have known him and that is 30 years... so the railways of the Forest have often featured in our conversations. We had a problem in trying to decide how to finish the "Parkend" end of the line which, at the time, was just a dead end siding on an embankment going nowhere (shades of the railway beyond Drybrook). Ian and I were talking about services on the Mineral Loop and how those services were worked through Tufts Junction and down to the docks. A map was produced and fingers were pointed at various bits of railway... when Ian said "those sidings face the wrong way" about the lines to the mines around Tufts, followed by "I wonder if Tufts was used as an exchange siding between services on the main line and the trips up to the colleries" and so oft we went.

In our model the high-level line leads to a couple of sidings on a hillside behind a colliery (which is connected to our low-level yard). Whilst this extension will be visible the sidings will be worked along the lines of exchange sidings.... a fiddle yard for the public! And so the model gained the name of "Scrufts Junction". Only time will tell if that is the name of the station.

And finally to the first piece of modelling to be described on WT - Mierystock Bridge - from much further north of Parkend. This bridge is now located south of Norchard and spans the high-level line to Scrufts Jcn. and the low-level line to the colliery yard, a good case of seeing double. The model is to be covered with Depron with the stones represented using the method described by Richard Lambert in his Heyside thread.

Flat sides - ok. The curve of the arch - not sure. Anyone tried to use 3mm thick Depron on anything other than a flat surface? How does the material respond to being formed into a curve?

regards, Graham

[recent events down in (our) forest have seen disruption and disturbance to the quiet and solitude of Norchard... the management (aka Peter) found that the chainage measurements between Lydney and Parkend were in error and that the error seemed to be in the area of the Norchard groundframes. What better reason to realign reality with imagination and extend the current layout. The introduction of the spare 4' board (see above) to the south of the station is described in about eight years from now].

Last edited:

westernfan

Western Thunderer
The tunnel mouth just up the cutting from Mierystock Bridge could be used as a scenic break into a cassette/ traverser .

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The tunnel mouth just up the cutting from Mierystock Bridge could be used as a scenic break into a cassette/ traverser .

Absolutely... with the success of moving a bridge down the line there is a very good chance that the portals of Mierystock tunnel, recently un-covered, will take the hint and toddle down the track to a new home.

After an interesting trip to the back of the garage I offer a genuine Blue Peter - here is a mock-up of our version of Mierystock Bridge.... to the south of the station and just before entering an alternative world of reality.

Rough bridge.jpg

Keeping up with the best of them, this mock-up is made from cereal card and mount board with a dose of corrugated card to form an internal ledge to support the road surface. The abutment wall was an after-thought when we realised that the "bridge" needed to be much wider because of the batter of the cutting wall.

The keen-eyed critics may think that there is a difference in levels of the two tracks.... you will be correct because there is a difference. The left hand track is the low-level line and leads to the platform and the colliery. The right hand track is the high-level line and heads off towards Scrufts Junction. The two tracks are at the same level as they leave the fiddle yard and enter the scenic section... the low-level line is "level" in this view, the high-level line has commenced the climb towards Scrufts at 1:60..... and on a reverse curve so there will be a good reason for flange squeal from our Cl.37.

regards, Graham

Last edited:

28ten

Guv'nor
If you ever need any shots of Tintern I have lots, and I quite often go down to the Forest if you need anything

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Thank you Cynric...

Anyone got any photos which show the original S&W style of buffers top? As far as I can tell, the initial form was two upright timber baulks - one to the outside face of each rail - with possibly a cross baulk resting against the verticals / on the rails. The upright baulks were buried in the ground, probably between two sleepers.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
The model is to be covered with Depron with the stones represented using the method described by Richard Lambert in his Heyside thread (see post#439).

Flat sides - ok. The curve of the arch - not sure. Anyone tried to use 3mm thick Depron on anything other than a flat surface? How does the material respond to being formed into a curve?

Graham

I have just roughly stone scribed some 3mm Depron. With care I could get it down to a 30mm radius without it fracturing. Scribe before bending, and it will sixpenny on the courses anyway!

Richard

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I have just roughly stone scribed some 3mm Depron. With care I could get it down to a 30mm radius without it fracturing. Scribe before bending, and it will sixpenny on the courses anyway!
Excellent, many thanks Richard.

The "front" faces of the bridge are to be done in stone as seen in the Mierystock photograph referenced earlier. I have yet to decide about the underneath of the arch... the photo suggests stone, brick might be nice. After re-reading the small print of the Geograph web site, re-use of the image on another web-site is permitted with specific constraints:-

mierystock bridge.jpg

© Copyright Stuart Wilding and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

So today the scenery of our layout has been hacked and otherwise bodgerised to take the bridge and abutments.... plenty of poly-foam-snow to be cleaned away. Time to think about the shell of the bridge - probably front and back faces of 4mm MDF with a high-density expanded polystyrene foam core. Looking ahead to the stone carving that will be inflicted on the Depron... the front / rear faces seem easy enough as do the vertical faces on the inside of the arches. However the underneath of the arch is going to be tricky to scribe in place and I am not sure that I know if the stones underneath the arch follow the courses on the front / rear faces.

Any budding builder who knows how the front / rear faces are tied into the underneath of the arch?

Or is the underneath done in brick?

regards, Graham

Last edited:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
'Tis brick.... a photo of Dilke Bridge (another Severn and Wye structure) shows that the underneath of the arch is in brick. The caption to this photo of the bridge is a mine of information and provides details of design, construction, materials and dimensions. Great, no going back now.

Did I say "great"? "easy"? "simples"? No way Hose... look at there brickwork, laid with skew courses. This is going to be an interesting exercise in cut and fit of Slater's brick. There are a couple of questions which result from this discovery...
[1] how is the "slope" of the brick course related to the direction and angle of the bridge relative to the railway line?
[2] how do the bricks abut to the stone arch? (a straight join across the arch? an indented join like Saxon "long and short" work?)

Bridge builders in brick / stone please step forward!

regards, Graham

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Graham,

try abd get hold of a copy of 'Bridges for Modellers' by L V Wood & published by OPC - ISBN 0-86093-226-5 which contains a lot of very useful information and might enable you to stay sane while you make the structure.

cheers

Mike

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
try abd get hold of a copy of 'Bridges for Modellers' by L V Wood & published by OPC - ISBN 0-86093-226-5 which contains a lot of very useful information and might enable you to stay sane while you make the structure.
Hello Mike,
Interesting that you mention "Bridges for Modellers"as the Mierystock-style of bridge is, apparently, not covered in that tome (information from Bob Alderman, G0G Technical Info Officer).

However, things are moving in the correct direction after an afternoon of discussion with Bob Alderman, several e-mails and various web-site references (for photos). I called Bob to ask if he knew any "civil" engineers who could explain how the Mierystock bridge was built only to learn that Bob was completing a new book on the subject of building bridges for railway modellers.... and yes, Mierystock-style of bridge had not been covered. None the less, after exchanging a few web references and consulting that fount of all things interesting (wiki) we concluded that Mierystock is a skew bridge with helicoidal arch. Yippee, especially when wiki revealed the level of maths involved in setting out the bed stones for:-

(A) the arch ring of the faces;
(B) the saw tooth on top of the abutment (which enables the footing of the brick courses).

Now I would like to include the images which Bob provided to me as those images - of a LSWR bridge at Yeovil - show both of those important features.... however, for good reasons, there is a gap at this point.

Just talk amonsgt yourselves for a moment....

Gap over. All is not lost for I have a cunning plan, wiki revealed a critical piece of information.... the brick courses of the skew arch are at right angles to the face of the arch (rather than being parallel to the top of the abutments). This piece of info, in conjunction with Bob's photos, means that the voissoirs of the arch ring have the appearance of Saxon long-and-short-work where the ring meets the soffit, that is the brick courses and the stones have a jigsaw-like appearance. Here is my current thoughts on getting the sotne / brick courses done:-

(A) build a complete carcass for the bridge and mark the line of the top of the abutment across the arch;
(B) cover the abutment faces with depron, loosely attach a card liner to the soffit;
(C) cover the faces with depron;
(D) mark the arch voissoirs on each face and transfer course lines to the card;
(E) remove card liner and complete voissoirs making courses at right angles to edge of card;
(F) transfer course lines from card liner to a same size piece of depron;
(G) draw the voissoir courses to the abutment edge thereby creating the saw-tooth stones;
(H) draw brick courses on soffiit.

Interesting that the stones which form the ring are sized according to the "height" of the brick courses which fit between the voissoirs so that helps to set out the ring on the face of the bridge.

regards, Graham

Last edited:

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
Hi ya my only thoughts are that the depron is flat and if you look at the photos of the bridge the stone courses are not flat it's probably fine for brick courses not sure about rough stone though
Just a thought

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
... my only thoughts are that the depron is flat and if you look at the photos of the bridge the stone courses are not flat...
True John, which is why I have asked Richard (on the Heyside thread) about the Heyside walls which seem to have some depth to the stones.

Irrespective, I think that "scribed / coursed" depron is likely to look better than embossed plastic sheet on at least two counts:-
[1] the bridge face can be made in one piece hence no trouble with joining sheets of plastic;
[2] the arch stones need to be represented and that would require some degree of scribing if using embossed plastic.

regards, Graham

Last edited:

28ten

Guv'nor
I would use das or something similar for the stone the depron is too flat.
Can you Remind where this bridge is, it's probably not that far from me.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
True John, which is why I have asked Richard (on the Heyside thread) about the Heyside walls which seem to have some depth to the stones.

regards, Graham

Graham

I've just gone through the recent Heyside postings, and can't see any unanswered questions. Probably me being thick, but can you point me in the right direction.:confused:

Richard