Scale7 JB Workbench.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Well, first workbench post in it's new home from home, guess I'll show you what I've been up to... and what's on the go at the Chapel End Loco works...

I'm sure most of you are aware of the K2 and it's whizzy bits. It's had a bit of a makeover this week, and it's now been completely unbrassed before an outing this weekend. It's also had a bit of weathering below the footplate, but not finished just yet, it still needs a few finishing touches... Weathering above the footplate is to wait until I get myself an airbrush which shouldn't be too far in the future....  Hopefully...

Attachments

• K2_Outside_1.jpg
    K2_Outside_1.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 441
  • K2_Outside_2.jpg
    K2_Outside_2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 417
  • K2_Outside_3.jpg
    K2_Outside_3.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 412
  • K2_Outside_4.jpg
    K2_Outside_4.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 424

28ten

Guv'nor
That lubrication piping must have been a trial....odd looking cab though!
If you are getting a new airbrush i can recomend the iwatta range, i have been very impressed with the one i bought - i just need some more practice before using it in anger.

Pint of Adnams

28ten said:
If you are getting a new airbrush i can recomend the iwatta range, i have been very impressed with the one i bought - i just need some more practice before using it in anger.
I expect Mr Hunt has already given the sales pitch; maybe JB should demand a hefty discount for humping Peter's stock boxes around at shows and generally being a good boy. :scratch: :p

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Oi, don't tell my engine it has a weird cab, that's like telling a lady she has a big bottom... :laugh: :laugh:

It is a little different though eh! This was originally a GN engine (now we really are entering Area 51!).

There were 3 possible cab variations on this engine, the original GN cab was similar to what is on 1742, but a bit taller... then there is my version, which had the cab cut down, and a smaller chimney and dome, and whistle moved onto the front cab sheet from the roof for GE running as the loading gauge was a fair bit smaller under bridges etc, and then there was the more normal looking version with a separate roof and side windows as used on the Scottish highlands..

Regarding airbrushes, I spoke to Peter about them last wednesday, and the kits were far more expensive than I had imagined... around ?360 (including compressor of course) for the lesser version that he recommends, which to be honest I really really can't justify at the moment, so Buckjumper has recommended an Aztec airbrush that he has been very happy with, which I think I'll go for in the next couple of months..

JB.

28ten

Guv'nor
Scale7JB said:
Oi, don't tell my engine it has a weird cab, that's like telling a lady she has a big bottom... :laugh: :laugh:

It is a little different though eh! This was originally a GN engine (now we really are entering Area 51!).

There were 3 possible cab variations on this engine, the original GN cab was similar to what is on 1742, but a bit taller... then there is my version, which had the cab cut down, and a smaller chimney and dome, and whistle moved onto the front cab sheet from the roof for GE running as the loading gauge was a fair bit smaller under bridges etc, and then there was the more normal looking version with a separate roof and side windows as used on the Scottish highlands..

Regarding airbrushes, I spoke to Peter about them last wednesday, and the kits were far more expensive than I had imagined... around ?360 (including compressor of course) for the lesser version that he recommends, which to be honest I really really can't justify at the moment, so Buckjumper has recommended an Aztec airbrush that he has been very happy with, which I think I'll go for in the next couple of months..

JB.
Well it has got a funny cab :laugh:
Do you have a compressor? If you dont, I have my old one here that would go to a new home for a ?20

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Well Buckjumper had found this compressor for me... Not recommended it as such but thought it should do the job for a while, and it comes with a free airbrush to play with too...

http://www.airbrushcompressorshop.co.uk ... ii-studio/

But I might be tempted by your offer, would you be able to let me know which model it is that you have..? I guess postage would be pretty expensive from sunny Hereford..

JB.

28ten

Guv'nor
Ill be honest, thats a better compressor than my old one as it has an air tank. and looking at that site mines worth a tenner!
I havent got a serial number (its that old) but it has done me for twenty odd years and it would get somebody going - looking at the price of that one Buckjumper found the cost of postage makes it uneconomical :| but the offer is open if you want it.

this is what I got here with the HP-C airbrush.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Hi all, went to the Scale7 society meet near to Wallingford, and had a great day today, except I'm very worried that my Zimo chip might have been fried when it was being tested on one of the attending layouts... very worrying..! I'll find out if the chip has survived on Monday....  :rolleyes:

Did manage to get a couple of pictures of the K2 and J39 on the S7 society test track though..

JB.

Attachments

• IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 346

28ten

Guv'nor
They look very smart together :thumbs: probably a tad too clean for 46 though? you must be pleased with the way they have turned out.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Hi Cynric,

Yes, I'm pretty pleased with the two engines, though I really want to get the J39 on the test track to run her in a bit more... there's still an ever so slight tight spot that I'm sure will disappear with a few laps with a decent train on the back..

Regarding the Zimo chip in the K2.. Got home this morning and tried it on my normal Gaugemaster system, and still no sound.. :cry:

I have put a post on the Zimo Yahoo forum which is always VERY helpful, so we'll see what they come back with.. :rolleyes:

JB.

28ten

Guv'nor
I don't know much about dcc but that sounds ominous. Isn't there a circuit breaker to protect from shorts?

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
You would hope so eh ?! But it appears not...

I'll admit, the chip has shorted out before (e.g. running into a turnout that is set against it), but always been absolutely fine... This time though after checking through a number of things and on the Zimo yahoo group, it does seem that the chip might have gone bang !! :cry:

I have sent Zimo an e-mail to see if they can repair such problems, but I don't hold much hope... and I can't really afford a new one at the moment, they're quite pricey !! Although still less than SWD :laugh:

Just so strange how everything is perfect except the sound.

JB.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Well I guess seeing as how I have a workbench thread, I ought to put some workbench stuff on it....

After much contemplation I started on the L1 today. I wasn't sure how to go about the footplate at the front as I'm unable to use the parts in the kit because they are just SO thick! God knows how anyone else built the kit... Some scratchbuilding with thinner brass sheet was necessary..!
View attachment 3

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 227
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 225
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 225
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 227

28ten

Guv'nor
That has worked out well :thumbs: I assume the holes are for some scale hardware ? :D The nice thing about scratch building is that if it goes wrong, you can just make some new parts. even though its totally the wrong region :lol: I will look forward to seeing progress

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
I assume the holes are for some scale hardware ?

Yes, but I have a horrible feeling that 9000 has flush rivets rather than domehead now... Might need to solder the holes up again.. :headbang:

JB.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Scale7JB said:
... I'm unable to use the parts in the kit because they are just SO thick! God knows how anyone else built the kit...
Yet another kit with 'disposable' parts..!! :shock: :headbang: :headbang:
It's really been an eye-opener for me seeing this sort of thing- as a newcomer to brass kits with my Class 22 I thought it was just me... :oops:

Some scratchbuilding with thinner brass sheet was necessary..!
Such neat work! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Might not be entirely the right Region (closer than the Mid-West USA, though!! :oops: :rolleyes: :p ) but at this stage the workmanship is the thing to admire..!!

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Yes, unfortunately progress has been slow compared to previous builds because of the unusable parts..

Might get a bit more done tonight/tomorrow possibly..

Will keep you posted. :wave:

JB.

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Scale7JB said:
I have a horrible feeling that 9000 has flush rivets rather than domehead now... Might need to solder the holes up again.. :headbang:
Just to confirm that your horrible feeling was not in vain: Yes, No.9000 had flush-riveted bufferbeams.

Three photos of 9000 here:

Left-hand side Liverpool St. 1946. Wartime NE livery. Axle-driven generator on hub of rear trailing wheel.

Front left-hand side 3/4 at Gateshead in July 1946 (one month after West Mersea!) Full LNER livery. Generator removed leaving protruding stub (looks like a Roman chariot!)

Rear left-hand side 3/4 at Chelmsford April 1947. Generator re-fitted.

Shout if you want them.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Yes please Adrian... :D

I need to see how many rivets there were on the front foot plate.. I can see 4 on the curved part, but can't see how many there were on the flat section..

Send them to my e-mail if they are high res..

Thankyou thankyou ! :bowdown:

JB.