Richard's Workbench - T3

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi,

A commission build of the Finney7 T3 in LSWR 1912 ish condition, again radio controlled. Pretty topical given the Swanage Railway's drive to get the original in steam again. I know there's another one being built on WT so I shall try not to duplicate to any great extent.

I start, as do the instructions, with the bogie. This is a necessary part of the chassis set up as the bogie pivot is the 3rd point of the compensation system.

Here's one of the bogie sideframes:

P1010504a.jpg

P1010506a.jpg

Richard

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
Steph
Whilst I don't disagree that the process of deaccession of an item from the collection by the NRM has been done badly and in far too much secrecy, they do have a quite a few pregrouping 4-4-0s, and there are two in another collection here in Scotland. I sort of understand why they might want to thin things out, not withstanding the museum world has in my opinion has largely forgottem what a museum is for.

Provocatively though, if 563 is restored to running order, what do you consider will be irretrievably lost in the process, and how much of it is "original" anyway?
Regards
Martin

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Martin,

That's part of the problem - it's actually pretty close to original having never steamed in preservation (in fact not since 1945) worth noting she was preserved by the SR in 1948; she's actually been in preservation longer than she was in service.

Surely, it made more sense to move into private ownership and steaming a loco that has steamed in preservation (e.g. MR 1000, GCR 506, even the T9) and then to an organisation that has the facilities to store it under cover and/or run it with appropriate rolling stock?

It does explain why they were so cagey when I contacted the NRM a while ago trying to find where she was so I could photograph her.

Steph

Andrew

I thought it was an inappropriate divestment, I now know it was inappropriate. They can't store it under cover and how much of the loco's original substance will be lost in the process of 'restoration'.

A shameful episode for one of our national museums.

Steph

Sadly Steph, you are absolutely right. Not long after it had been delivered, I went down to see it (full of excited anticipation) and found it parked up in a siding at Corfe Castle and completely open to the elements. To my dismay, the loco was already in poor condition and I was genuinely shocked at what I saw! My fear, like yours, is that the guys at Swanage may not be capable of 'sensitively' restoring it to its full victorian beauty.
I sincerely hope that I am proved wrong.

Regards,

Andrew

FuntleyWorks

Western Thunderer
Hello Richard

Duplication isn't a problem when it comes to admiring your work! I do have a couple of pics of this seemingly rarely photographed class that I have managed to find that I can share with you. The 1900-1910 years seem to have found them being very random with differences!!

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi,

Some more work on the underframe.

I attached the hornguides/blocks to the chassis mainframes separately, and then built the chassis. It all ended up true first time.

P1010507a.jpg

P1010508a.jpg

I have left off the intermediate spacer as I shall be putting inside valve gear in, and hope to make it detachable as I did for the Radial.

The bogie has been completed.

P1010509.JPG
P1010510a.jpg

P1010511a.jpg

This is needed to set up the compensation at the right height. I faced off the extended axle ends in the lathe, and carefully reamed the axle holes until one side could be twisted on/off so the wheels could be removed for painting. It appears as though the front and rear stays are not soldered in....I've just realised on seeing the photos that I forgot to solder them in! It does show just how good a clip fit they are though!

Hello Richard

Duplication isn't a problem when it comes to admiring your work! I do have a couple of pics of this seemingly rarely photographed class that I have managed to find that I can share with you. The 1900-1910 years seem to have found them being very random with differences!!

There aren't many LSWR photos are there, not even in the Bradley books. I don't know whether to make fluted or plain rods. I would be very grateful if you would email the photos to me. Many thanks.

Richard

2-Bil

Western Thunderer
Period photo on Charlie Verrall-Flickr in his LSWR album (page 2) Engine 571 in LSW livery at Nine elms shows fluted rods.Hope its of use.....

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Superb photo. Certainly the best I've seen of one in late LSWR condition, with the Drummond chimney and Urie lining.

Steph

FuntleyWorks

Western Thunderer
Another picture of 571. Slightly earlier than the other as it still has the chains in the bufferbeam. Can't remember where I got it!

Attachments

• T3 - No.571 (1).JPG
    T3 - No.571 (1).JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 77

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Thanks,

That's got the equalising beams but no tail rod covers, and still has both whistles; early 1900s.

Richard

Yep, having the brass beading, brass numberplate and full double-lined Drummond livery is another clue to date. I reckon very late 1890s.

Steph