7mm Ressaldar's workbench - a return journey - more progress.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
As a means to an end to encourage me back into the workshop, albeit via the desktop in my den with Management's full permission, I ordered a laser cut signal box kit for the Helston signalbox - I have a long standing affinity with the Helston branch and would one day like to model the station area from the roadbridge to the bufferstops.

The kit duly arrived and whether it was the coincidence with the lockdown or not, a start was made having first rad the instructions and downloaded the photos onto the laptop from the CD Rom.

The lower inner walls to the front and back panels were glued on and set aside to cure. Next day the inner end wall was tried against the rebate formed by the two lower inner walls on the rear wall, but I could not agree the orientation with the relevant photo from the CD

IMG_0326.JPG

It took a while to twig that the laser detail was cut on the inside face of the wall rather than the outside face. I then checked the other panels and it transpired that all of the laser work was on the wrong side. An email to the manufacturer with the relevant photos was sent and I was offered a replacement and told that I could use the kit that I had to practice on. The real downside was that I will have to wait until travel restrictions were eased before me new kit could be posted.

I decided to go ahead and complete the kit with the walls in their correct orientation and use some SE Finecast brick plastic to overlay where the brickwork should have been and while doing that I would consider options for the upper wall treatment.

IMG_0361.JPG

This shows the chimney stack fitted in its correct position and where the 'reverse image' had it.

The original signalbox had vertical planking so I decided to use the cut lines as guides for planting plastic strips as if the original cladding had been replaced/overclad by an early version of 'wriggly tin' and this is the state of play as of today

IMG_0360.jpg

strips being applied across the window apertures to get the lines vertical and then cut back after the glue had set.

IMG_0365.JPG

I used a double skin of brickwork to enable the use of a suitable angle to form a cover strip. The lower window apertures and rodding tunnel were formed after each brickwork layer was cured and will be detailed in due course.

The wriggly tin for the end walls will have to wait as I ran out of the Evergreen strip having used a whole pack of ten strips on the front and back walls! Eileen's to the rescue this week hopefully.

So attention tomorrow will be turned to the windows, doors (painting/assembling and laid aside until after painting etc of the main box) and roof (which I will make removable).

Despite the disappointment of not being able to build what was intended, I have been encouraged by the fact that I have persevered through the problem, which in itself is a major victory (with many thanks to a certain member on here for his kind words) and slowly and surely will continue to reach a satisfactory conclusion which will encourage me back into the workshop to finish off two Inspection Saloons that have been on the bench for far too long.

Stay safe and well.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Today's progress has been good, in as much as priming/undercoating all of the window frames - separate fronts and backs can been classed as moving forward.

IMG_0367.jpg

The construction of the staircase and some kit builder's design improvements in as much as ' as built' the staircase was offset from the doorframe, presumably to avoid the detail under the windows. I have incorporated a landing to give some 'circulation' when opening the door, assuming that it opens outwards and will incorporate appropriate handrailing. At present the staircase and the white column are just placed in position. The landing also gives better access to the lower door (I had overlooked it when removing the excess brickwork in front of the openings and has now been cut out))

IMG_0368.jpg

I have also cut back the top layer of brickwork above the ground floor openings to allow an appropriate stone lintel to be placed in position.

Whilst the rainwater goods are included in the kit, they do not include any holderbats, offsets or shoes so these have been ordered from Modelu for incorporation later.

More updates as and when.

Stay safe and well.

regards

Mike

GrahameH

Western Thunderer
Mike,

Deja Vu !

I believe that you may have seen my build on "Whats on your Workbench 2020" of the same box.

index.php

I spoke to Andy ( Pearce ) this week about the small anomoly around the staircase which he will have a look at. I took the route of cut-outs to the cill area to accommodate the bannister which I considered acceptable for my build.

May I suggest if you decide to make the roof removable then consideration should also be given to the louvred gable vent surround.
It will most likely catch on the small lean-to roof making it difficult and snag on the roof slates, something to consider.

Apart from these two small matters I feel its a very well produced kit and pleased that I bought it for my proposed layout.

Stay safe and well too,

Grahame

Last edited:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Grahame,

many thanks for your comments and yes I had seen and 'liked' your fine model.

The jury is still out as to whether the roof will be removable, I will see once the interior is completed. There are a number of areas that I still need to attend, the plinth around the base for one, it's a good job that I have plenty of SE Finecast embossed brickwork in stock. One thing that really helps is that I do not have a 'Company image' to comply with, that will be the case when I receive the replacement kit from Andy in due course, as I said earlier, the long term plan is to build the whole station so I am treating this build as a trial build. Lets hope that by the time I get around to the layout, someone has produced a kit for the ex LMS 20t Ore hoppers that were used in the 1950s & 60s to transport the Serpentine to the NE of England, something unique for the branch.

Off to join the Sainsburys queue this morning, so there is a prospect of a shortened modelling day today.

Stay safe and well.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Various 'postie' deliveries earlier this week have brought various plastic sections to enable me to proceed with completing the vertical ribbing and the flashings above the window openings and also the lintels. The plinth was cut out, the top course chamferred and then fixed.

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0377.JPG

The staircase is just resting against the landing (balustrade to sort out as well), the two vertical strips in the doorway are packing pieces ready to receive the door in due course. The interior is still awaited, but there is enough to do with both the internal and external painting for it not to be holding things up! The windows have been painted, glazed and the two parts joined and are ready for trial fitting in their openings.

There is also the choice of colour for the wriggly tin, I seem to recall that in the early 70s, Slough Estates had a one track mind over this issue and a beige colour was favoured for the vertical colour on nearly all of their units and I think a light grey on the roof, so this may be the way to go, but then again...........

The good news is that the replacement kit is on its way so another prompt to get on with finishing the Inspection Saloon!

More to follow soon

Stay safe and well.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Here we are nearly four weeks later and the progress has been sporadic to say the least, mainly due to needing to finish the Inspection Saloon.

P1010509.JPG
painted with Vallejo 'Model Air' acrylics, applied by brush. Never used these paints before and I am mightily impressed, might even try using them through the new airbrush at some stage. The staircase was attached once it had been painted and after the main body painting and the windows fixed, followed by the handrails and the support post. The Company architect was not very courageous with his paint scheme at this time as rumours abounded about closure of the line in the not too distant.............

P1010510.JPG
The 'Dapple Light' brickwork will get another coat of weathering wash in due course.

P1010511.JPG
Interior fittings are from the Peco range, with the track plan board supports having to be shortened to clear the rafters. Signalman awaited from Modelu.

P1010512.JPG
Unfortunately, I will not be able to make the roof structure removable, so all of the roofworks will have to wait until the signalman is installed, which will hopefully be soon, but in the meantime, there is the other Inspection Saloon to finish!

Almost forget, the replacement kit arrived safely during this period so that will be gathering dust in the queue on the shelf while other things are addressed and completed.

Stay safe and well

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
After six months of doing not much in the way of railway modelling I have at last finished the signal box

P1010609.JPG P1010610.JPG P1010611.JPG P1010612.JPG P1010613.JPG

albeit again slightly different from that intended by the kit manufacturer. Having put the photos up here I have noticed that the finials have not been fixed so something for tomorrow when I return form the opticians. In the end, I opted to fix the roof permanently, mainly due to having gone for wriggly tin on the roof - a cunning trick by BR - refurb the buildings and a few months later, close the line!!! The pipefittings are the excellent products from the Modelu range.

Unfortunately, the layout has been adapted during the lengthy construction period of the model and it is now surplus to requirements so will appear in the Small Ads section once the finials have been applied.

regards

Mike

simond

Western Thunderer
Mike,

sorry for the less than timely comment, but apropos your note about Vallejo paints, there is a well stocked supplier not far from you. There is a fantasy & wargame shop at Brimstage.

The Forge, Brimstage Rd, Birkenhead, Wirral CH63 6HD

Usual disclaimers of course.

Could do with the same in Kent!

Atb
Simon

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Does it need down pipes at each end of the main gutter, over a shortish distance?

Tim
Hi Tim
The Helston box only had the one downpipe, at the left hand end when looking at the front, the model measures 110mm, so 16' in real money. The resultant model is only 'loosely based' on the original and I thought that it would look more balanced and they do get a lot of rain in that part of the world.
Many thanks for your comment.
regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Mike,

sorry for the less than timely comment, but apropos your note about Vallejo paints, there is a well stocked supplier not far from you. There is a fantasy & wargame shop at Brimstage.

The Forge, Brimstage Rd, Birkenhead, Wirral CH63 6HD

Usual disclaimers of course.

Could do with the same in Kent!

Atb
Simon
Hi Simon,
thanks for the heads up on Brimstage, I shall pop in when things are eased - it is on my route to the Clatterbridge recycling centre.
Stay safe and well
regards
Mike