Ressaldar's Modern Image workbench

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Having made a few purchases, I thought that I should create this thread.

Starting with a Dapol EWS 08, I have fitted a YouChoos Zimo MS440D sound decoder with a 17,000 uF stay alive, suitably wrapped in tape and fits nicely down the side and a YLR 302815 2W speaker which fits neatly in the space behind the radiator and the decoder block. I have then started the weathering with a couple of coats of MIG 'grease etc' and will add further washes to appropriate areas over the course of the next week or so.

IMG_1045.jpg
IMG_1046.jpg
IMG_1047.jpg
IMG_1048.jpg
IMG_1049.jpg

Moving well up the size scale, there is a 47/4 in LLBlue

P1020115.JPG

for the time being, fitted with an MX635R until the large sound decoders are available once more. A second (top) coat of Klear has been applied and weathering will commence once the body comes off for the decoder installation.

I have also acquired a Class 60 in GBRf livery - 60021 Penyghent which is still to have an MX635 fitted as per the 47. Pictures to follow.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard,

The MX635 comes as an R version - 8 pin harness or P22 plug in.

Spec:

size 25x15x4.7mm
capacity 1,8A continuous 2.5A peak
16v direct stay alive
10 functions

more information on the Zimo website

Hope that this helps

regards

Mike

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Thanks Mike

If you used one of the plux22 wiring boards that gives you extra amps would that be enough a for a permanant solution.

I still have a couple of the large decoders on order, I think have been since April.

Richard

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
You might want to touch in 08709's cab roof with EWS red and the exhaust with a grey. Who knows how Dapol made these mistakes on what is a pretty simple livery I've no idea!

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Al,

many thanks for the heads up. I’ll address things later in the week, although just checking on Flickr, whilst the majority seem to have a red roof, there are quite a few that have an ‘all over dark grey’ roof and sometimes, just the front panel is dark grey. Unfortunately, there is not a picture of ‘709 in anything but blue livery to guide me.

regards

Mike

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
I don't think we found one with a black roof at all when a few of us looked, quite a few that looked darker but the more we investigated the more it turned out they were just dirty! We did find a couple with completely black roofs but nothing with just the cab.

Surprised you can't find anything of 709, should be plenty:

TheSnapper

Western Thunderer
.....I still have a couple of the large decoders on order, I think have been since April.....

Mike/Richard

In May, I managed to get several Loksound XL decoders from Germany & the US:

Not sure what the stock levels are now though, but worth a try.

Tim

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
I don't think we found one with a black roof at all when a few of us looked, quite a few that looked darker but the more we investigated the more it turned out they were just dirty! We did find a couple with completely black roofs but nothing with just the cab.

Surprised you can't find anything of 709, should be plenty:

Many thanks Al, I have had my doubts with Flickr search engine in the past! I will act accordingly - something for the new airbrush to tackle when it arrives.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Mike/Richard

In May, I managed to get several Loksound XL decoders from Germany & the US:

Not sure what the stock levels are now though, but worth a try.

Tim
Hi Tim,

many thanks for the heads up, but I am a dedicated Zimo man and am happy to wait.

regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Al,

I have now discovered why I did not see the 'full story' on Flickr, the top of the page only showed pictures from 'people I follow' and I mistook the rest of the screen as if that was the total. However, I scanned down the page and found this example from 2014 and I think that it is a genuine black/dark grey roof as is the adjacent loco.

I shall therefore leave mine 'as is' but will see to the exhaust panel as you suggest.

regards

Mike

Last edited:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Yesterday I took delivery of another Class 47, this one on InterCity livery and destined to be 47765 (the last renumber in the D1843 re-numbering cycle) in ScotRail InterCity livery as now running in preservation.

I have had the transfers (supplied by John Peck of Precision Decals) in stock for a while and have made a start in applying them

IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG

I have studied many photos of the loco in this livery and cannot find one that shows the 'Westie' on the second view so I have left it off for the time being.

The model is latest standard Heljan version and as supplied the lower stripe is the usual red I have applied a 4mm wide stripe from the TrimLine range - their light blue, which is in fact less blue than in the photo and will tone down with the weathering. The customer fitted bits are still to be applied, that will be something for tomorrow when the transfers have dried and before the application of some 'Klear' to protect evrything.

I will be fitting a Zimo M|X634R as a temporary measure until the large sound decoders become available again.

Next up is a sound fitted Dapol 08 again in InterCity livery - 08644, just waiting for the transfers.

Hopefully both up and running for next Sundays Open Day at Birkenhead

regards

Mike

Al Tait

Western Thunderer
Although I am not a fan of pres stuff, that does look rather nice. I keep thinking of doing a proper 47/7. Vin at Proto-Neo does the cut away buffer beam, additional tanks and TDM jumpers if you wanted to go to town with it.

Detailing parts | Protoneo

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Al,

glad that it appeals to you. The aim is to do the whole cycle of numbers as the re-numbering invariably coincided with a change of livery as well, except that 47631 retained its number when moved to RES livery and was subsequently re-numbered 47765 and kept RES until it was withdrawn. The current owners have made an excellent job on the restoration.

I will keep things as they are 'detail' wise but thanks for the heads up on Vin's products.

kind regards

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Having overcome the 'moving off' problem, thanks to WT membership, I have now weathered the offending beast

20221108_200305.jpg

20221108_200400.jpg

20221108_200453.jpg

my chosen loco is 08644 a long time resident at Penzance and while there, had a number of liveries applied and the one that caught my eye - that matched available liveries all that was missing was the high level white stripe. On the face of it an easy masking and airbrushing exercise, that was, until I set to with the masking tape and Maskol a task not made any easier with the recessed doors and the multitude of nooks and crannies, so another approach was conjured up using waterslide transfers and copious amounts of Micro Sol and Micro Set, but again the rapid changes of level did not let the transfer settle correctly (to my mind anyway) so that idea was abandoned and in the end I just masked off where I could and brush applied three thin coats of Vallejo 'Model Air' and then carefully tidied up the edges with Testors Acrylic Cleaner. The black patches on the radiator sides should in fact be yellow but I don't have a hope in hell of matching Dapol Yellow so I decided to leave well enough alone - for once!

The Swallows, names and numbers are as usual from Precision Decals (John Peck is very helpful)

There is still a bit of touching up to do over the coming weeks which can be considered while I grapple with weathering 47765.

cheers

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
A long time since I posted anything 'work wise' but I have at last dragged myself into the workshop, having seen this photo on Flickr last Autumn.

Some time ago I purchased a Hiab lorry mounted crane (of dubious scale) and like many other things, it stayed in its box on the shelf - until I saw the photo which made me think that as I am building an Engineer's siding plank, it might fit the bill for one of the sidings, At the time, there was just the one photo on Flickr of this particular wagon which is one of three warwell conversions that BR carried out in the early 80s for use with the Channel Tunnel project.

I acquired the Engineer's warwell from a Club member for a good price with the bonus that it was already painted in the right livery. Having printed off the photo to A4 size, I made quite a few assumptions regarding dimensions, mainly due to the fact that the wagon is on the skew in the photo and the perspective had to be taken into account (or not as the case may be).

P1020311.JPG

P1020312.JPG

P1020313.JPG

P1020314.JPG

Having made the main 'box' and the tool box element, I contacted John Peck at Precision Decals (my go-to man for transfers) and after a few email exchanges he came up with the goods and at a reasonable price. The crane is screwed on from below using the fixings that came with the model. I removed the hook element and the last six jib extension pieces and made up a plate to fix the hook assembly in place. I know that the crane is totally different from the actual but I don't think that I would be fortunate to find the exact model, I am more that happy with what I have come up with. Again, I have had to take some minor liberties with the tool boxes especially mounting them on a carrier plate to ease the fixing. The main box and the tool boxes are resting in position and will be glued down when I have finished painting them

The chassis was completely masked off leaving the crane bare and with the boxes was sprayed from a rattle can using a RAL warning panel mixture that I had made up a few years ago when I build the blue liveried Class 22. I was not worried about matching the solebar colour as the prototype solebar differed from the 'add-ons ' as well.

Not the most accurate model ever, but I am happy with it and will enjoy taking it down the Club in the week to show it off - assuming that I am sober after my 80th birthday on Tuesday.

regards

ike