Prototype G1 Western

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
"Three wheels on your wagon . . ."

Are you going to print the running wheels, or print patterns?
Or are the white wheels just to help visualise?

D1054

Western Thunderer
"Three wheels on your wagon . . ."

Are you going to print the running wheels, or print patterns?
Or are the white wheels just to help visualise?
Hi, The prints on the table are to scale from D1013, but for the models they will be investment castings in steel to G1 standards.

D1054

Western Thunderer
Is this a prototype for an eventual kit? Or a one off - sorry if I've missed the thread.
Hi, I'm hoping that this will come together as a kit on G1 and G3. I'm building three prototypes in each scale to refine the prints, and then will look at kit production options. A few more pictures of progress will follow later tonight.

D1054

Western Thunderer
Evening All, Here's some progress pics of the Prototype G1 Wizzo. I've been working on the roof panels and windows to try to get the best printing matches, and whilst I'm OK with the outer roof panels, the centre ones are being replaced with thinner version which will run overnight tonight. The buffers are a little short on the stocks and undersize on the buffers, but the impression for this propotype isn't too bad. Comments welcomed, please.....

Attachments

• IMG_4896JPG.jpg
    IMG_4896JPG.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_4897JPG.jpg
    IMG_4897JPG.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_4899JPG.jpg
    IMG_4899JPG.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_4901JPG.jpg
    IMG_4901JPG.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_4904JPG.jpg
    IMG_4904JPG.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 192
  • rsz_img_4905.jpg
    rsz_img_4905.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 193

unklian

Western Thunderer
The cab roof is too narrow and the cab side windows too tall as a consequence . The cab door is not tall enough either . When you try to add the rain gutter that goes over the doors you will see what I mean . Hope that helps, the big problem with the Western is that no drawing ( that I have found anyway ) really describes it properly. You just have to keep staring at the real thing .

4809995462_b5a46ff42a_z.jpg

I nicked this off google to illustrate my point I hope the original photographer doesn't mind !!

Last edited:

D1054

Western Thunderer
The cab roof is too narrow and the cab side windows too tall as a consequence . The cab door is not tall enough either . When you try to add the rain gutter that goes over the doors you will see what I mean . Hope that helps, the big problem with the Western is that no drawing ( that I have found anyway ) really describes it properly. You just have to keep staring at the real thing .

4809995462_b5a46ff42a_z.jpg

I nicked this off google to illustrate my point I hope the original photographer doesn't mind !!
Excellent..... thank-you. Just the sort of feedback I'm after.

unklian

Western Thunderer
You're a brave man no doubt, the Western is a very subtly shaped machine indeed. I did one in 3mm scale and it was a right fiddle . Another bit you need to watch is the cant rail 'corner', where it meets the cab side windows is critical. On the plus side , he said chucking the bouquet after the brickbats, you have a lot of it looking very well indeed. Don't tempt me with a Gauge 3 one, I want a D6300 first !

D1054

Western Thunderer
You're a brave man no doubt, the Western is a very subtly shaped machine indeed. I did one in 3mm scale and it was a right fiddle . Another bit you need to watch is the cant rail 'corner', where it meets the cab side windows is critical. On the plus side , he said chucking the bouquet after the brickbats, you have a lot of it looking very well indeed. Don't tempt me with a Gauge 3 one, I want a D6300 first !
Plenty of time for you to knock out a little D63XX before the G3 is available! Talk again this time next year!

D1054

Western Thunderer
Very nice, how will you power it?
Hi Simon. The first prototype will be built for static display, but I'm making the bogies interchangeable so that driven bogies can be added later if wanted. I'd like to use a central motor on UV jointed splines to gearboxes on the rear axles of each bogie, then either chain or worm-gear drives through to the outer wheels (centre wheelsets will float). The first powered ones will probably be MSC motor gearboxes though.... unless anyone has any better suggestions?

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
Finescale Brass were selling a few high-efficiency motor-gearbox units at Woking for £80 piece.
Type 385 5-pole motor, small flywheel, helical first reduction stage plus two straight-geared reduction stages, choice of FSB or 3/16" (Slaters) axle diameter. These don't 'lock' like a worm.

Hi All,

Really sorry I haven't been around for quite a while, but I thought I'd just drop you some pictures in the hope of some constructive criticism on this Gauge 1 WESTERN I've embarked upon over the past couple of weeks.... There's a video of the sectional build before skinning at Gauge One Model Railways.View attachment 93003 View attachment 93004 View attachment 93005 View attachment 93006 View attachment 93007 View attachment 93003 View attachment 93004 View attachment 93005 View attachment 93006 View attachment 93007
Has it been finished? Have been trying to find a kit for a western, just the ticket seems to have disappeared? Living in NZ so not easy to keep a track on things.