Precision Flux Applicator

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I have been a little unhappy with applying flux with a brush (I use Simon Varnham's safety flux) for a while and was pondering how I could be a bit more precise in applying it. A chance conversation with my neighbour who is a pharmacist resulted in me getting my hands on a couple of large syringes with out needles.

I tried one for a couple of weeks or so and while it improved the situation tremendously over the brush it was still easy to flood the work piece. While at the cottage a few weeks ago I was working on 3 Slaters MR cattle wagons and I emptied a Revel polystyrene cement applicator. I was going to throw it away when I wondered if I could use the needle tube from it.

I brought it home and cut the top off the bottle but the inner bit was solid so it wouldn't slip over the end of the syringe. having nothing to lose I then drilled a hole through the long nozzle cap and inserted the needle tube into it and it fit perfectly over the end of the syringe. Having tried it on a few bit's and pieces, it works treat allowing the flux to be put where it's needed and not all over everything else.

It has sat with flux in it for 3 weeks or so now and because the needle tube is stainless steel there is no sign of rusting (which was a worry).

This is the finished article.

Triangle002.jpg

Not really scientific but works a treat.