7mm Pontypool Road Coal Stage

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
I recently had the idea to make a small show piece I could easily take to shows and it was to be based on a low relief version of the Coal stage at Pontypool Road, I was contacted by some one who has designed laser cut buildings and wanted to collaborate to supply me and to improve their work, we’ve been working behind the scenes for a few weeks now and they thought it would be easier to design it as a full size kit and then cut it down, Well I couldn’t possibly turn down the opportunity to make a full size version. Pontypool Road PPRd 86G has a lot of personal connections for me as my recently passed maternal Grandad was a Fireman there in the last years of the GW and into the early 50’s before he went on the PWay and my dad has many happy memories of the shed as his local Argus paper round gave him full unfettered access on a daily basis. The area to be modelled is shown here marked in white IMG_7061.jpeg
Consisting of the coal stage the ramp and the raised wagon section, the entrance to the shed on the left will be in very low relief.
This will be my home based layout and somewhere for my engines to be on display instead of in boxes. This won’t be a quick build as it will fit in amongst the commission work.
The little show display will have a different background and you can see that progress in my other thread.
My dad has actually scratch built his own model of the coal stage and I’ll pop some pictures of his version in here too.

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
Here’s my dads version with Cardiff Canton / East Dock 5081 Lockheed Hudson at the stage for a top up.
IMG_7093.jpeg

It was primarily a goods shed serving the vast array of sidings and local area plus trips to severn tunnel, Cardiff, the Vale of Glamorgan, Hereford the midlands and further affeild. Toton 8F’s were regular visitors and a lot of the Manchester / Liverpool north and west services changed locos here meaning Scots, Jubilees and Patriots were all regular visitors. All GW types bar the 47xx where to be seen as well
My loco fleet will be used on this and Canton