4mm Polsarrett: BR(S) N Cornwall Clay, The Final Countdown

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Lovely. I've been doing something similar with a laser cut signal box (which is also now half embossed plastic sheet) myself.

Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Matt

Thanks Matt. I have wondered more than once if I wasted money on the laser cut kit but it gave me a starting point and cut out the procrastination phase :)). I would probably have spent an inordinate amount of time drawing up the box and thinking about how to build it.

It will be a key element of the left hand side of the layout and the original flatness of the kit before the overlays just looked wrong to my eyes. Plus, once I started looking, it didn't quite look like any of the LSWR ground level cabins I could find photos of.

So it appears that once again, after a promising start on the layout, I can't do quick and that I'm prone to falling down every rabbit hole going. :confused: On the plus side I'm making stuff again and a few of the things I'm trying out will be useful for Pencarrow.

matto21

Western Thunderer
I get it and agree totally. While I appreciate the ease at which laser cut kits can be assembled, I'm never totally convinced with the surface "flatness" as you put it.

So, a bit like you, I've spent longer cladding sections with embossed sheet than I have actually building the kit!

Matt

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
To a lesser extent, I fall into the same trap.

In theory, by using Ready to Plant buildings from Bachmann or Hornby, I should just plonk them on.

But I'm never satisfied with the factory finish and end up adding paint and weathering, along with other details.

However, I don't chop them up and reassemble them to the extent that Pencarrotenstein does.

SB.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I get it and agree totally. While I appreciate the ease at which laser cut kits can be assembled, I'm never totally convinced with the surface "flatness" as you put it.

So, a bit like you, I've spent longer cladding sections with embossed sheet than I have actually building the kit!

Matt

I think to be fair to laser cut kits, some are better observed and executed than others. I was always going to replace the brick cabin base with stonework but had originally intended using the remainder as intended. Strangely the brick base is probably the best, most detailed part of the kit.

I wasn't happy with flat sheet being used to represent shiplap and roof tiles and then the rabbit hole opened up. One of my slippy slopes. On the plus side the cabin will be unique. :)

I am however concerned about the material used in the L-cut kit. It seems to be quite bendy, doesn't like being filed or sanded, and seems to easily delaminate.

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
To a lesser extent, I fall into the same trap.

In theory, by using Ready to Plant buildings from Bachmann or Hornby, I should just plonk them on.

But I'm never satisfied with the factory finish and end up adding paint and weathering, along with other details.

However, I don't chop them up and reassemble them to the extent that Pencarrotenstein does.

SB.

Pencarrotenstein!

Armed with a multitool, no RTP is safe. :D

Last edited:
Concrete hut painting

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
After spending an hour looking through boxes of my old stuff to find the missing parts from the concrete hut kits, I decided it was time for a little bit of painting.

IMG_20210214_141020_1.jpg

Takes me quite a while playing around with the paints until I'm happy with the finish. Even more tricky trying to get 3 different items with a similar finish!