Prototype Pittsburgh Area Trains and Trolleys

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
In the mid 1970’s, I visited relatives in Pittsburgh, my first visit to the United States. At the time, I worked the the National Bus Company and was warmly welcomed to Port Authority Transit (PAT) who operated the streetcars and some trains in and around Pittsburgh. Here’s a selection of some of my photographs.
First up, a visit to the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad, otherwise known as the Little Giant.
IMG_8833.jpeg
This pic shows one of the P&LE GE’s at McKees Rocks.
IMG_8832.jpeg
A plain vanilla Geep with ownership lettering on the short hood. The P&LE was not big on expensive paint schemes.
IMG_8831.jpeg
1501 is one of the two Geeps used on commuter passenger runs. The yellow cab door denote it’s passenger use.
Now we move to the large Penn Central yard at Conway, just outside of Pittsburgh. IMG_8842.jpegIMG_8841.jpeg
I was so pleased to see this covered wagon lash-up although there’s also a Geep in the consist.
Now for something very different, a visit to Duquesne (pronounced Doocain). Unbeknown to me, I could have been arrested by a railroad cop taking these pics of the Union Railroad owned by US Steel.
IMG_8848.jpegIMG_8846.jpegIMG_8849.jpegIMG_8847.jpeg
Now for some streetcar pics. Before PAT became established the streetcars were not very colourful. Enter, Port Authority Transit and Pittsburgh became a veritable Railbow.
IMG_8835.jpegIMG_8837.jpegIMG_8836.jpegIMG_8838.jpegIMG_8851.jpegIMG_8840.jpegIMG_8850.jpeg
See Part 2 fore more….

Last edited:

SouthernFan Ian

Western Thunderer
Railways, as opposed to streetcars we’re also operated by PAT as witnessed by this pair of Budd Railcars. These operated out of the C&O terminal as well as a rake of more PAT (to the left) commuter cars top and tailed by a couple of Chessie System GP9’s.
IMG_8845.jpeg
A finally, a couple of lucky shots taken in downtown Pittsburgh.
IMG_8843.jpeg
You might guess, I had a soft spot for covered wagons!
There’s also one in this Western Maryland lash up.
IMG_8827.jpeg
I heard a whisper of a steam special leaving town, what a fine sight it made hauling sixteen heavyweight passenger cars.
IMG_8830.jpeg
I hope you all enjoy these pics.