4mm Newton Lane, BR(W) Circa 1955

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
D856D9B6-7D25-491D-AA7B-B21D2456CBEE.jpeg
These are the ones I bought - they're very good kits and look really effective, but you'll need a fine applicator for your glue!

Mark

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Small update on the pub. I'm not sure if I mentioned that its going to be named The Seven Stars. Not sure why, it just strikes a chord with me for some reason (one day, I'll build a colliery layout with a pub called The Four Colley Birds!).

I added a second coat of the filler/PVA limewash mix yesterday, and while looking at it today, I noticed that I'd forgotten the chimneys. And then I noticed the gable end window where a chimney was meant to be :D oops! A little bit later on, after some more foam board had been sacrificed, I got to this:
1662485639814.jpeg

A first coat of the filler/PVA mix has been splodged onto the extra bits. They'll need a bit of catch-up work before I can really move on with the building as a whole.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cheers,
Mark

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
A couple more photos of the pub, but here in place on the layout:
1663075756965.jpeg

1663075135852.jpeg

I need to adjust the ground contours a little to take the doors into account and the lane also needs a little realignment, but that's all fine and won't take much to do.

I've been doing a bit more to the platform, and I happy with the face now. Next up, I need to sort out the surface which has me in a bit of a quandary. I want the platform surface to be flagstones and the neatest way is to scribe them myself: I'm going to try using DAS clay which will be a first for me!

Thanks for stopping by!

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited:

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Crikey, just over six months since my last update!

A picture paints etc etc, so here is where I've reached:
IMG_20230320_124906051_HDR.jpg

In the end, I decided to go with PECO OO gauge bullhead track as I stand a chance of actually running trains at some point! As you can see, most of the track is down and wired - each piece of track has its own power feed. I've still got a couple of connections to make at the left-hand end, and obviously the siding needs to be put in place.

The cattle dock mk.1 is plonked in its spot; I'm really not happy with it so it'll get a do-over. The same applies to the platform, which has done its best to emulate a banana..... The Seven Stars hasn't progressed much beyond window sills. However, the basic earth cover is almost there, with just the level crossing bit to fill in.

Once the track is all down and wired, I can think about ballasting. What fun!

Thanks for looking in and all the best,

Mark