Newbie from North Devon

Roger Moore

Hi everyone.
I am new to O gauge after 50 years of 4mm modelling. At the moment I have two layouts in the process of being built, one for the house loft and one for the garage. My interest is BR from 1980 to and inc Sectorisation. I am a class 50 fan and before moving to Barnstaple I lived in Gloucester with a view of the Gloucester to Bristol main line from the garden and one of the reasons for buying that particular house was the sight of the 50's hammering along on both the up and down lines in the 1980's and 1990's.
Heard about this site from a post on the GOG.
Good old days.
Roger

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Welcome along Roger. You'll find the folk on the forum helpful, friendly and very knowledgeable. There are many folk on here that work in 7mm and compared to other forums there's a much higher percentage of people making things.

One thing we do all like are photos of whatever you're working on.

GrahameH

Western Thunderer
Welcome from me too Roger, you will find this forum to be as Chris says, helpful and friendly.

I'm hoping to get back to the Exeter O Gauge group when everything becomes normal in the future, they are also a friendly group with varied 7mm interests so if you wanted to venture out at some point I am certain you would get a friendly response.

Roger Moore

Hi Graham,
Thanks for the invite. I may well try and do that, when, as you say things get back to 'normal'.
Any good model shops in Exeter that keep a good stock of 'o' gauge?
Cant get much up here in Barnstaple so am having to mail order.
Roger

GrahameH

Western Thunderer
Any good model shops in Exeter that keep a good stock of 'o' gauge?

Hello Roger,

Sadly the Model Railway shop in Exeter is now closed ( great loss ).
Barny doesn't provide much either unfortunately and I tend to do mine via mail order now ( I have always preferred to support local model shops ) or at O Gauge meetings / Exhibitions.
The Exeter group webpage can be found here which may be of use -https://www.exeter-gog.net

G

Roger Moore

Hi Graham,
Thanks for your reply and the link to Exeter GOG website.
It looks like I will be having to continue getting my o gauge stock and track etc by mail order. I use Antics from Stonehouse in Gloucestershire. My wife is from Stonehouse and we lived in Gloucester where Antics has one of its many model shops. I have found they are quite good to deal with but do not keep a large amount of O Gauge but enough to get me started.
I am in the process of doing two layouts at the moment one, (for the loft) which will take some time to construct. I have laid the track on the first 5 baseboards that will be the scenic section. In the garage I am hoping to do a shunting layout that will be little more than a test track where I can try out my stock and adjust aas necessary.
I will have a look at the Exeter GOG site later.
Thanks again
Roger

JohnG

Hi Graham,
Thanks for your reply and the link to Exeter GOG website.
It looks like I will be having to continue getting my o gauge stock and track etc by mail order. I use Antics from Stonehouse in Gloucestershire. My wife is from Stonehouse and we lived in Gloucester where Antics has one of its many model shops. I have found they are quite good to deal with but do not keep a large amount of O Gauge but enough to get me started.
I am in the process of doing two layouts at the moment one, (for the loft) which will take some time to construct. I have laid the track on the first 5 baseboards that will be the scenic section. In the garage I am hoping to do a shunting layout that will be little more than a test track where I can try out my stock and adjust aas necessary.
I will have a look at the Exeter GOG site later.
Thanks again
Roger
Hi Roger, welcome to the best modelling site on the net,
The big plus is that Antics at Stonehouse has an O gauge test track for customers to try out purchases. Gloucestershire has a sizable O Gauge Group, best part of 40 years old which draws members from as far south as Cornwall, sadly in hibernation due to the current restrictions. Can you remember the days of RAF Quedgeley MRC?

Seasons Greeting and Best Regards,

John (Greathead)

Roger Moore

Hi John,
Yes I remember the days of RAF Quedgeley MRC and do you remenber me helping you to clean the layout you bought. One which I believe had been in the Railway Modeller some time before you bought it? It was a mid grey colour due to the dust. Those were days when the club was drawing to an end due to the RAF base closing. Hope you are keeping OK. I have Christmas cards off two of the old members on the mantlepiece now. I am now living in Barnstaple in North Devon so a trip to Gloucester MRC is not sometning that is practicable I am afraid.
All the best and a Happy New Year.
Roger

Last edited:

JohnG

Hi Roger,

You have confirmed my thoughts, I just wasn't quite sure, my god, that was best part of 30 years ago, so pleased you are doing OK and enjoying retirement. I'm just older and grayer, 60 next year, not sure about wiser however. Some of the old members are in the Group, Jim of course, who got me into O gauge.
You are in fine company on here, I have little spare time due to work and this is a wonderful relaxing escape, so enjoy.

All the very best, and here's to a better New Year.

John.

Roger Moore

Hi again John,
Yes 30 years ago! I can't believe where the time has gone. Give Jim K my regards when you see him again. I think he told me he was going into American outline in n gauge. Must have changed his mind. I am older and wiser but still playing trains as it appears you are. I went with Jim years ago to an O gauge running session at Antics but the scale didn't appeal to me at the time. As I have got older I have begun to appreciate what O gauge has to offer. I sold all my 4mm prior to moving to Devon as part of the decluttering process. I had not intended doing any more railway modelling after having done 28mm soldiers and wargaming for the last few years, but as with many others, I was sold on O gauge after purchasing a Dapol class 08 and Bingo - off we go again!

Have a Happy New Year.

Roger

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Roger

Another welcome from me to WT. you will get more encouragement here than anywhere else for 7mm modelling, whatever your budget and skills may be.

Sad to learn the shop in Exeter has closed. Peco at Beer is still functioning I suppose and there is another model shop not far away which might stock some Gauge O. Mail order really is the only way for most of us, fortunately the retailers are generally very helpful and will give you the time of day.

Paul

Keith Phillips

Western Thunderer
Welcome Roger,

It is a shame that the shop in Exeter has closed. I seem to recall seeing O gauge goodies in the shop at Buckfastleigh when I have been down there running on the Gauge 1 garden railway. It's a long trip from Barnstaple but if you were in the area......?

Regards,

Keith